IGNORED

Tactical moves that seem obvious in hindsight.

Port Said Red

I have always been a Bobby Reid fan, I like "footballers", all those fancy turns and flicks and tricks are sooo entertaining. That was Bobby in midfield, entertaining, until he gave the ball away trying one trick too many, and put us under pressure, then he would start to fade as the opposition realised there was a weakness to exploit.

However move him 20 metres further up the pitch and suddenly the flicks tricks and fancy turns become a real threat that are difficult to defend against. When they don't come off, there is less danger because there are players behind him to pick up the pieces. 
In this team we were never going to have the luxury of playing him as a true number 10, we need all the midfield working in all areas of the pitch, but playing him as a striker has given him that area to play in and his response has been nothing short of incredible. His confidence must be through the roof right now and it's showing in every performance, he is our Aguerro, our Sanchez and he is one of our own.

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I have always been a Bobby Reid fan, I like "footballers", all those fancy turns and flicks and tricks are sooo entertaining. That was Bobby in midfield, entertaining, until he gave the ball away trying one trick too many, and put us under pressure, then he would start to fade as the opposition realised there was a weakness to exploit.

However move him 20 metres further up the pitch and suddenly the flicks tricks and fancy turns become a real threat that are difficult to defend against. When they don't come off, there is less danger because there are players behind him to pick up the pieces. 
In this team we were never going to have the luzury of playing him as a true number 10, we need all the midfield working in all areas of the pitch, but playing him as a striker has given him that area to play in and his response has been nothing short of incredible. His confidence must be through the roof right now and it's showing in every performance, he is our Aguerro, our Sanchez and he is one of our own.

This is what LJ said recently - He is able to run the risk of trying to get at defenders and potentially make a mistake because he's further up the field. 

I have to admit I'm very surprised how well he has done in that position.

I had my doubts about him this season but he is now a revamped player who now is one of the players I expect on the team sheet and that's not just because of his goals but also his overall contribution is amazing. 

Huge credit goes to LJ for recognizing this because after watching a recent interview with Bobby he had his own reservations. 

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yeah not our best song is it. Neither is Bryan's.

How about a new one for Bobby, being... 

He's one of our own, he's one of our own. Bobby Reid, he's one of our own"

And for JB...

"Joey, Joey Bryan. Joey Joey Bryan"

Sorted! 

Conversely I've never been a Bobby fan, however at the moment it's proving very hard not to be!

had to laugh when substitutions were made (possibly against Wolves or Reading) and BR was dropped back to midfield... the first thing he did was give the ball away in a dangerous position!

He's absolutely electric so far this season. Looks like we're finally seeing what those Plymouth fans loved. 

Brilliant stuff Bobby. Keep it up. 

Apart from the goals....the biggest effect Bobby has had on our improved play, is his energy over 90 mins.

I've not seen a 'number 10' run as much as he does. Constantly badgering the defenders and keepers....they don't get time to pick out a pass.

They are rushed into mistakes....our offensive midfielders pounce in numbers and intercept.

Our offensive 'defensive' play is outstanding over 90 mins.

This style of football is what LJ has been trying to achieve since he's been here. You could see what he was trying to do.

It failed miserably imo, because of the gamble made on Tomlin. For all his natural ability....he didn't give what LJ required. Energy, movement and mobility.

Bobby's energy, movement and mobility is excellent and it enables the rest of the team to do their required duties without having to worry about others.

Patterson also gives that energy...and if Bobby is ever rested or injured I can see Pato taking that role.

33 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

In this team we were never going to have the luxury of playing him as a true number 10, we need all the midfield working in all areas of the pitch, but playing him as a striker has given him that area to play in and his response has been nothing short of incredible. His confidence must be through the roof right now and it's showing in every performance, he is our Aguerro, our Sanchez and he is one of our own.

And if there's one player who I suspect has benefitted from analysis / coaching process Bobby Reid is the most obvious for me

(Go back to LJs explanation in Q&A thread about Jamie Patterson and POMO and look back where BR is scoring his goals from - he has literally stepped in to Tammys boots in the areas he's hunting in , in the box 

I do wonder how much he may have picked up off of Tammy )

9 minutes ago, spudski said:

Apart from the goals....the biggest effect Bobby has had on our improved play, is his energy over 90 mins.

I've not seen a 'number 10' run as much as he does. Constantly badgering the defenders and keepers....they don't get time to pick out a pass.

They are rushed into mistakes....our offensive midfielders pounce in numbers and intercept.

This style of football is what LJ has been trying to achieve since he's been here. You could see what he was trying to do.

It failed miserably imo, because of the gamble made on Tomlin. For all his natural ability....he didn't give what LJ required. Energy, movement and mobility.

Bobby's energy, movement and mobility is excellent and it enables the rest of the team to do their required duties without having to worry about others.

Patterson also gives that energy...and if Bobby is ever rested or injured I can see Pato taking that role.

Totally agree Spud

Bobby and JO as you've highlighted , and you can add KS, JB and a fair few others are exactly what LJ wants in his players - athletic , busy , hard working - he's made it clear what his personal blueprint is

LT , ability aside , is exactly the sort of player LJ doesn't , and didn't want, ,  even before you consider his management required and off field issues !!!!

LT and AM may be one of the most valuable lessons of Lees management and recruitment education ;)

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

Not Taylor?

4 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

And if there's one player who I suspect has benefitted from analysis / coaching process Bobby Reid is the most obvious for me

(Go back to LJs explanation in Q&A thread about Jamie Patterson and POMO and look back where BR is scoring his goals from - he has literally stepped in to Tammys boots in the areas he's hunting in , in the box 

I do wonder how much he may have picked up off of Tammy )

Also he mentioned that in analysing the stats of potential targets, it highlighted to him how well Bobby stacked up in those areas. I think Tammy has had an effect too, they all saw how his energy and enthusiasm  could achieve a lot and presumably the way he trained and prepared.

12 minutes ago, spudski said:

I was saying yesterday about Bobby, who knows if his goals will continue at anything like the rate that they are doing, but IF they do and he can get 20+ this season, then I think his overall all round play is every bit as good, if not better than Tammy. 

31 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Not Taylor?

Also he mentioned that in analysing the stats of potential targets, it highlighted to him how well Bobby stacked up in those areas. I think Tammy has had an effect too, they all saw how his energy and enthusiasm  could achieve a lot and presumably the way he trained and prepared.

Don't think Taylor has the energy of Reid and Patto....gives a slightly different option.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Absolutely. When LJ joined I was delighted to hear him talk about a high pressing, quick passing game, both because it's good to watch and because it is very much the modern game. We are now seeing that being realised, and after the 3 windows he talked about as it happens.

Signing Tomlin was in contradiction of his plan - it would have taken a brave man to resist the pressure to sign him admittedly - and it's no coincidence that improvement followed him first being dropped and then sold.

In a way Derby were ideal opponents as they had Huddleston in midfield, a Tomlin type of player, talented but, shall we say, rather languid. There was no way they were going to match our style therefore.

Yet I suspect he is just the kind of 'creative' midfielder some were wanting us to sign in the window, despite the fact that we have no problem making chances with the type of players we have.

Never thought aboutthe Tammy effect, but it is possible.  The problem is that if he carries on like this he will be a marked man - if it is actually possible to mark him.  Some sides may just prefer to kick him, but again, they have to catch him first.  He has been fantastic so far and really changed the way we play as a team. I think Freddie Hinds could play that role too, but a season on loan with regular playing time will have him pushing for a place next season.

We have so many good players thatcant eben get into this team at the moment and fantastic cover all over the pitch.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Spot on Spud. He's the Everyready Long-Life Bunny is Bob and every game he runs a marathon.

34 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I never would've imagined him as a striker in a million years. Always thought the classic 10 would be his best position. Great work from LJ and BR to change his role in the team. 

The decision to move Reid up the pitch came from what LJ and the coaches had seen him doing in training on a regular basis - scoring goals.

LJ said as much in one of his interviews. 

11 hours ago, Super said:

We just need to get a decent song for him! Bloody depressing the one now.

I want to be ... Bobby Reid

I want to be ... Bobby Reid, 

That's the most important thing to me

And if I was ... Bobby Reid,

If I was ... Bobby Reid,

What a faithful, thankful girl I'd be

Over to you now @Super, starting Tues night.....

9 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

I want to be ... Bobby Reid

I want to be ... Bobby Reid, 

That's the most important thing to me

And if I was ... Bobby Reid,

If I was ... Bobby Reid,

What a faithful, thankful girl I'd be

Over to you now @Super, starting Tues night.....

Trouble is, most people under 55 probably wouldn't know the tune!!!

:noexp:

I must admit I began to notice last season that he would often come on in place of Tomlin and instantly try to move the ball quicker and drive it forward. Trouble is though we were usually a goal or two down by then and heads had dropped and Reid tried to finish his efforts himself with hopeless accuracy.

He has obviously worked so hard during the Summer on fitness, sharpness and finishing. He is a hell of a player and a joy to watch, and like many I didn't know he had it in him. Well done to all concerned for making it happen. See what a bit of hard work and confidence can do, not only for him but the players within the squad.

Archived