IGNORED

Stewards playing a dangerous game

JasonM88

Following on from the post about the fan on the pitch yesterday, I feel the stewards are playing a dangerous game in terms of their actions towards fans. 

Not only today, but I've also seen videos from Spurs, Liverpool and obviously that Man City game where stewards have been extremely heavily handed, potentially causing more problems.

Groups of fans won't take these actions on fellow fans for much longer, you'd have thought, and if it keeps on happening you'd have thought there will be some fight back. 

They need to be careful in my opinion.

10 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

Following on from the post about the fan on the pitch yesterday, I feel the stewards are playing a dangerous game in terms of their actions towards fans. 

Not only today, but I've also seen videos from Spurs, Liverpool and obviously that Man City game where stewards have been extremely heavily handed, potentially causing more problems.

Groups of fans won't take these actions on fellow fans for much longer, you'd have thought, and if it keeps on happening you'd have thought there will be some fight back. 

Heavy handed actions against fans on the pitch..?

Maybe just stay off the pitch..?! 

12 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

You go on the pitch....it's automatic ejection from the ground. These fans never go quietly do they...?

So how do you suggest they get removed?

32 minutes ago, Super said:

Changing the theme a bit interesting to see armed police at the game yesterday.

They were at all the one day Cricket  Internationals I went to in Summer

Personally more than pleased to see them there and I'd arm more

Certainly doesn't phase me .....

Comfortably reassuring - we have some of the most professional armed officers in World

19 yr old frightened Carabeneri conscripts waving their rifles at us in Italia 90 was less reassuring ! :laughcont:

I think ours are one of the better ones tbh.

If you look at the top of stands, not including the obvious allowances in South Stand/Dolman corner (I refuse to call it a 'singing section' :thumbsup:) people stand.

In theory and by letter of law stewards should be off up there. Trying to make people sit etc. They don't- so long as they aren't a nuisance or blocking views etc.

Is just sense to let them get on with it- which is a sign of good stewarding IMO.

4 hours ago, lenred said:

Yeah. Was pretty unnerving seeing that walking in! 

I don't see why it should be, they're there for YOUR protection.

4 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I think it's supposed to be unnerving for anyone scum enough to try and terrorise the occasion. 

Not at all, if some looney with a van/bomb/knife whatever they have to be able to end the threat quickly, a batten , taser or strong words just don't work on these guys.
I remember going to Pisa for the Anglo Italian cup and armed Police stoped us in the airport and took everyones passports , you just smile and give them up no drama, didn't intend to argue mind. Glad one of the locals spoke English though.

3 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I don't see why it should be, they're there for YOUR protection.

Not at all, if some looney with a van/bomb/knife whatever they have to be able to end the threat quickly, a batten , taser or strong words just don't work on these guys.
I remember going to Pisa for the Anglo Italian cup and armed Police stoped us in the airport and took everyones passports , you just smile and give them up no drama, didn't intend to argue mind. Glad one of the locals spoke English though.

I KNOW! Blimey, cool your boots. My sincerest apologies if me finding the sight of police brandishing automatic weapons unnerving ANNOYS YOU. Not a usual thing is it. But THANK YOU anyway! 

Got to say the steward near me & my son has been nothing but understanding & helpful to us. Will also mention that on quite a few occasions I've seen him get dogs abuse/glares for asking people to move who know they shouldn't be sitting where they are trying to sit, just bloody sit where you paid to sit! As for armed police, can't say I saw any, where were they? COYR 

4 hours ago, JasonM88 said:

Of course the stewards can allow fans on to the pitch (as pointed out in another thread, an absolute offence) and the club face the wrath of the EFL, your choice.

The club or the stewards do not make the laws of the land, but like it or not they are bound to adhere to to those laws, they have no choice.

23 minutes ago, lenred said:

I KNOW! Blimey, cool your boots. My sincerest apologies if me finding the sight of police brandishing automatic weapons unnerving ANNOYS YOU. Not a usual thing is it. But THANK YOU anyway! 

OOppps sorry. , but easy there tiger didn't mean to offend. Probably overdid the Caps.
It is a sad thing they are there , but I feel it is a necessary evil. I think I've almost become blasé about it, many places I've been there have been armed units . Most airports, large railway stations etc , USA,  In Belgium a while back , even London a few weeks back stations were teeming with them. I've even seen armed soldiers abroad. I don't intend to play up so it doesn't effect me , I just tend to think there is less chance of anything happening. 

11 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

OOppps sorry. , but easy there tiger didn't mean to offend. Probably overdid the Caps.
It is a sad thing they are there , but I feel it is a necessary evil. I think I've almost become blasé about it, many places I've been there have been armed units . Most airports, large railway stations etc , USA,  In Belgium a while back , even London a few weeks back stations were teeming with them. I've even seen armed soldiers abroad. I don't intend to play up so it doesn't effect me , I just tend to think there is less chance of anything happening. 

Fair play mate. Indeed they are becoming a more usual sight and when I see them at Temple Meads or at the Airport  for example I generally think little of it. I guess the point I was trying to make originally (not very well evidently!) is that I've not seen them before at AG so it made me wonder if there was a specific reason they were there other than the heightened risk after the further attacks in London last week. 

3 minutes ago, lenred said:

Fair play mate. Indeed they are becoming a more usual sight and when I see them at Temple Meads or at the Airport  for example I generally think little of it. I guess the point I was trying to make originally (not very well evidently!) is that I've not seen them before at AG so it made me wonder if there was a specific reason they were there other than the heightened risk after the further attacks in London last week. 

I think it will be more often seen at large events nowadays , every large gathering is a potential target sadly. 

42 minutes ago, aberdeen_craig said:

The steward on the entrance to block S27 sent me around to S25 as that was on my season ticket. He wouldn't have it that the 3 blocks were unreserved and said I still had to be in that block. Not had that before. Saw him send quite a few people away as well afterwards. That can't be right surely?

Probably new and not wanting to make a mistake on his first day. I expect the others will put him right in the future, if not just let Mike Kelly know - I doubt it will be a problem.

with the country on critical threat list, its good to see the armed police at the stadium. 

shows that security is being taken seriously. 

I also like it that they searched most peoples (women's mainly) bags on Saturday as well, even though i heard a few people complaining about it. 

I cant think of any away game i've been to yet that i havnt had my bag searched, so its good we are doing the same. 

Archived