IGNORED

M5

You Do The Dziekanowski

1 hour ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

What the **** is happening?

Going on for an accident (that causes lane closures) a day since Thursday! 

There are two spots on M5 that are awful - J13-J15 and J21-23 - for some reason there is always accidents on them.  More fatalities on these two stretches than any other parts.  The Thornbury - Glos stretch is the worst in country in my view. I've got no idea why.. perhaps it's because the roads are bland with long gaps between the junctions (11 miles between 13 & 14, 9 miles between 14 & 15) - maybe people drift off? Then again it's similar on M4 between Bath - Chippenham - Swindon but a fraction of the amount of accidents.

Maybe someone else has a theory? Ever since I've been driving (20 years) it's been bad.. 

15 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Up this way the M6 between J15 (Stoke) and J20 (Lymm/M56) is the one, if anything happens on that motorway it's always somewhere between those junctions, must average at least one bad accident per week.

Yep those roadworks between 16-20 at moment are litterally horrendous.  Always seem to get some bad ones around the Stoke junctions as you say. Another weird blackspot 

1 hour ago, Tomarse said:

There are two spots on M5 that are awful - J13-J15 and J21-23 - for some reason there is always accidents on them.  More fatalities on these two stretches than any other parts.  The Thornbury - Glos stretch is the worst in country in my view. I've got no idea why.. perhaps it's because the roads are bland with long gaps between the junctions (11 miles between 13 & 14, 9 miles between 14 & 15) - maybe people drift off? Then again it's similar on M4 between Bath - Chippenham - Swindon but a fraction of the amount of accidents.

Maybe someone else has a theory? Ever since I've been driving (20 years) it's been bad.. 

I'm wondering if it's the people driving the roads, they do say the knobheads get away scratch free whereas the sensible drivers suffer.

Driving that stretch - Gloucester to Thornbury and a car pulled out infront of an ambulance with Blues lights flashing just to overtake a car which was probs going about 80mph anyway :grr: then moments later a car doing again 80+mph goes from the outside lane into the inside lane to undertake a caravan and the car overtaking the caravan skimming the back of a lorry in the process. In that situation the caravan could've easily swerved into the outside lane injuring both innocent drivers and passengers for the sake of less than 10 seconds. 

I always thought the stretch between Cribbs and Avonmouth was bad purely because of the hill, some ***** absolutely bomb it down there!

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

Up this way the M6 between J15 (Stoke) and J20 (Lymm/M56) is the one, if anything happens on that motorway it's always somewhere between those junctions, must average at least one bad accident per week.

I always found the worst part of the M6 being 21/21a is it? The Liverpool junction. 

9 hours ago, hodge said:

I always found the worst part of the M6 being 21/21a is it? The Liverpool junction. 

Traffic wise yes - the whole stretch from the M5/M6 junction till you get past J25/26 of the M6 is pretty awful. Accident wise its always around Stoke junctions it seems. 

The aerial image of that crash on Sat is horrific.   Question is surely those barriers should be stopping such an incident.  Time to get the rest of the motorways replaced with the newer concrete stuff.

37 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

The aerial image of that crash on Sat is horrific.   Question is surely those barriers should be stopping such an incident.  Time to get the rest of the motorways replaced with the newer concrete stuff.

They haven't released many details but I've read the lorry driver survived and is talking to the Police. My husband drove southbound just an hour or so at  the exact place it happened. He says the traffic was 'odd' lots of slowing down and speeding up and slowing down suddenly again. No flow and hard to concentrate in. 

50 minutes ago, RedM said:

They haven't released many details but I've read the lorry driver survived and is talking to the Police. My husband drove southbound just an hour or so at  the exact place it happened. He says the traffic was 'odd' lots of slowing down and speeding up and slowing down suddenly again. No flow and hard to concentrate in. 

The image on the BBC twitter shows he vered across from the far left southbound lane but hit a bit of barrier where it splits i.e possibly not as strong. He then hit one car in the 3rd lane northbound. So the impact would have been well over 100mph. 

That stretch is always odd like you say. 

• Admin

The image on the BBC twitter shows he vered across from the far left southbound lane but hit a bit of barrier where it splits i.e possibly not as strong. He then hit one car in the 3rd lane northbound. So the impact would have been well over 100mph. 

That stretch is always odd like you say. 

Caused by a blowout

Is it just me or does there appear to be an aclane ent almost every Friday? 

I think they need to invest in some singe saying how many accidents and deaths there have been.

The Portishead junction always seems hairy. Many people get in the correct left hand lane but then lots Leave it til the last second to get into that lane and break really hard.

16 hours ago, Northern Red said:

My old supervisor in Holmes Chapel, reckoned that the accidents on the M6 in Cheshire were because of the monotonous nature of the road there.

15 hours ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

I'm wondering if it's the people driving the roads, they do say the knobheads get away scratch free whereas the sensible drivers suffer.

Driving that stretch - Gloucester to Thornbury and a car pulled out infront of an ambulance with Blues lights flashing just to overtake a car which was probs going about 80mph anyway :grr: then moments later a car doing again 80+mph goes from the outside lane into the inside lane to undertake a caravan and the car overtaking the caravan skimming the back of a lorry in the process. In that situation the caravan could've easily swerved into the outside lane injuring both innocent drivers and passengers for the sake of less than 10 seconds. 

I always thought the stretch between Cribbs and Avonmouth was bad purely because of the hill, some ***** absolutely bomb it down there!

They had a Gatso camera on that hill once, although it may have been for roadworks?

3 hours ago, Up The City! said:

I think they need to invest in some singe saying how many accidents and deaths there have been.

The Portishead junction always seems hairy. Many people get in the correct left hand lane but then lots Leave it til the last second to get into that lane and break really hard.

It's arrogant to say but people in a rush or people heading away for weekend who aren't as experienced driving on the Motorway?   No coincidence in my mind that come the summer holidays we get 6 weeks of nearly daily accidents caused by people who aren't as used to driving day in day out on motorways. Bridgewater/Burnham on M5 litterally had accidents daily this summer.  Barely a single one since end of August.

Portishead junction is better since they made two lanes accessible to A369 however a lot of people won't use the second lane now because a lot of people don't understand how merge in turn works when you come off the roundabout..

3 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Maybe it's something as simple as it's the busiest day every week for motorways.

6 hours ago, Tomarse said:

a brick wall wouldn't of stopped it sadly

• Admin
54 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

It's arrogant to say but people in a rush or people heading away for weekend who aren't as experienced driving on the Motorway?   No coincidence in my mind that come the summer holidays we get 6 weeks of nearly daily accidents caused by people who aren't as used to driving day in day out on motorways. Bridgewater/Burnham on M5 litterally had accidents daily this summer.  Barely a single one since end of August.

Portishead junction is better since they made two lanes accessible to A369 however a lot of people won't use the second lane now because a lot of people don't understand how merge in turn works when you come off the roundabout..

The summer holiday period is horrendous for driving on motorways, far too many people who haven't a clue what they are doing, middle lane hogging, outside lane at 68mph, cars loaded up and probably overweight or poorly balanced.

HGV's don't help, the ridiculous situation of overtaking each other when ones speed limiter is set 0.5mph faster than another's, taking miles to crawl past.  One thing we could take from the Germans, is that lorrys aren't allowed in the middle lane from 0700 - 1900, that would improve safety at a stroke.

6 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

HGV's don't help, the ridiculous situation of overtaking each other when ones sped limiter is set 0.5mph faster than another's, taking miles to crawl past.  One thing we could take from the Germans, is that lorrys aren't allowed in the middle lane from 0700 - 1900, that would improve safety at a stroke.

Think mainland europe tends to have less freight on the road which helps. I agree an incentive for lorrys to drive out of peak times could help. Lower tax band if only used 1900-0700 for example.

Blighted by horse box/traveller vehicles, trailers and caravans here in the south west. Vehicle types that are usually laid up in a field or gardens for months, if not years. Tyres perish or become distorted, axles rot and snap and 'bang' and there goes another 2 hours sat in a motorway queue.

How the **** caravans/trailers don't require MoTs is beyond me, as is a requirement for those towing these things to pass a separate test. 

Was the vehicle in this incident  a converted lorry to horse box-type? Looks suspiciously like one.

Another lorry has gone into the central reservation between 13/14 - thankfully is mounted on the barrier so hopefully nobody seriously injured.

Went passed it this morning, flattened about 50 yards of central reservation. 

All tryes in tact so not sure what could've made the driver swerve into the middle of the carriageway.

Luckily no one hurt but surprised as well due to time of incident luckily no other cars going in both directions were affected 

On ‎18‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 14:36, Tomarse said:

Think mainland europe tends to have less freight on the road which helps. I agree an incentive for lorrys to drive out of peak times could help. Lower tax band if only used 1900-0700 for example.

Would tend to disagree with that as I see a huge number of trucks on the road to Bordeaux (mostly on Polish, Spanish, Portugese or German plates). On a Sunday, however, they are not allowed to travel unless they are refrigerated or have a special permit. 

On 18/09/2017 at 14:29, Maesknoll Red said:

The summer holiday period is horrendous for driving on motorways, far too many people who haven't a clue what they are doing, middle lane hogging, outside lane at 68mph, cars loaded up and probably overweight or poorly balanced.

HGV's don't help, the ridiculous situation of overtaking each other when ones speed limiter is set 0.5mph faster than another's, taking miles to crawl past.  One thing we could take from the Germans, is that lorrys aren't allowed in the middle lane from 0700 - 1900, that would improve safety at a stroke.

Totally agree.

Hopefully the new driving test that includes motorway driving will improve matters, it's ridiculous that for so long you've been able to pootle around urban areas at 30mph, pass a test and go straight out onto a three lane dual carriageway at 70 for the first time unsupervised.  The number of people I see doing the most dangerous things like unnecessarily changing lanes at a junction or tailgating is indicative of how poorly some people understand motorway driving.

HGV drivers overtaking each other for a fractional speed increase are mental - especially when they try to do it on a two lane section slightly uphill (or forgetting that as soon as they're out from behind the other they will slow down) and have to give up halfway and slow down and pull back in.  It holds up everyone else and increases the danger, all to get them an extra minute or two on an hours long journey and it's awful for fuel their efficiency.  I don't see any reason HGVs need to come out of the left lane on a motorway unless there's a lane closure or hazard.  Also lost track of how many times I see a lorry half way into the hard shoulder and then swerve back out because the driver is playing candycrush or something, should be a permanent removal of the HGV license.

A lot of central reservations are now in line to be 'upgraded' to concrete, similar to those found in Europe and America. Still not the foolproof answer but capable of stopping a 38 tonner at 40mph. Some have raised the concerns that such a solid barrier will force any vehicle to 'rebound' back across the lanes. Better than breaking through armco and causing head-ons along the opposite carriageways but still not without risk.

Archived