IGNORED

M5

You Do The Dziekanowski

• Admin

Is there a motorway that has more closures than the M5?  I had to go to our Stoke Gifford depot today, 13 miles there and it worked out 12 miles back as I tried in vain to get a rat run sorted, coming via Ashley Down was best......  80 minutes to get there, 110 minutes to get home - approx 8mph average.  It’s about time Bristol had another southbound motorway bypassing it for summer holiday times and these instances of total closure, which create chaos across the City.

1 hour ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Is there a motorway that has more closures than the M5?  I had to go to our Stoke Gifford depot today, 13 miles there and it worked out 12 miles back as I tried in vain to get a rat run sorted, coming via Ashley Down was best......  80 minutes to get there, 110 minutes to get home - approx 8mph average.  It’s about time Bristol had another southbound motorway bypassing it for summer holiday times and these instances of total closure, which create chaos across the City.

The A303 should be made a motorway (ok Stonehenge is an issue..) - that would help. Making it a full dual carriageway woll help. Trouble in building a motorway north of Bristol would be it would plough straight through the mendips 

M11 between J7 Harlow and J9 Saffron Walden. After J8 (Bishops Stortford) it goes from 3 lanes to 2, and the number of lorries that go up and down there is unreal. 

Going back about a year ago, there was a spate of at least one major accident on that section at least once a week. There was one week when there were 3 days in a row.

A lot of those accidents were involving lorries I think....

• Admin
6 minutes ago, Taz said:

M11 between J7 Harlow and J9 Saffron Walden. After J8 (Bishops Stortford) it goes from 3 lanes to 2, and the number of lorries that go up and down there is unreal. 

Going back about a year ago, there was a spate of at least one major accident on that section at least once a week. There was one week when there were 3 days in a row.

Was some stuff on R5 the other day and lorry drivers were saying how many of them are fitting devices to get round the tachograph - that should be an instant life HGV ban.  I’d love to see the German system in as well, lorries restricted to the inside lane, this nonsense of overtaking each other for miles and miles, causing bottlenecks needs to stop.

42 minutes ago, Taz said:

It doesn`t help that the death ride that is the A14 crosses it too. I used to hate that road, an accident every day seemed like.

Was some stuff on R5 the other day and lorry drivers were saying how many of them are fitting devices to get round the tachograph - that should be an instant life HGV ban.  I’d love to see the German system in as well, lorries restricted to the inside lane, this nonsense of overtaking each other for miles and miles, causing bottlenecks needs to stop.

Wow, that's just shocking and I agree lifetime bans and jail sentences should be given. 

What also worries me is that there was something on/in the news a few weeks ago about driverless lorries travelling in groups of 2 or 3. Technology will ALWAYS fail at some point.

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

It doesn`t help that the death ride that is the A14 crosses it too. I used to hate that road, an accident every day seemed like.

Horrible roads all around including that one. Used to have to do Bishops Stortford to Bury St Edmunds for work every day for just over a year. Accident anywhere in between and you could be stuck in traffic for hours.

So pleased I only work 10-15 minutes away now!!

Splatford Split at the end of the M5 on the A38 is a very appropriate name. Add Haldon Hill on one side and the A30 harepin bend on the other and there can't be a worse section of the road network in the country. Tourists and their caravans just add to the mix together as do horse boxes and trailers! 

It would help on the M5 if people weren't such twats and actually got over when they weren't overtaking. The amount of people who just sit in either the fast lane or the middle lane, (yes I know that they're officially called overtaking lanes) probably partly because they've zoned out and aren't paying full attention, which is dangerous in itself. The M4 is always bad for that, it seems like the M5 has now joined it.

I regularly have to use the route between Weston and up to the M5/M4 interchange, and I sometimes avoid it and go a different way, simply because of the rage I know other drivers are going to give me, by not sticking to the rules of the road. 

14 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

It would help on the M5 if people weren't such ***** and actually got over when they weren't overtaking. The amount of people who just sit in either the fast lane or the middle lane, (yes I know that they're officially called overtaking lanes) probably partly because they've zoned out and aren't paying full attention, which is dangerous in itself. The M4 is always bad for that, it seems like the M5 has now joined it.

I regularly have to use the route between Weston and up to the M5/M4 interchange, and I sometimes avoid it and go a different way, simply because of the rage I know other drivers are going to give me, by not sticking to the rules of the road. 

Society is shit - you are right.

M5 was closed J20 to J19 for roadworks Weds night till 6am Thursday for roadworks.

It's going to be closed again from 10pm 3rd Nov to 6am 4th Nov on the exact same stretch for more road works.

I've done this stretch for the last 3yrs at 4:30am there is nothing wrong with the stretch. I dont understand the need to close all 4 lanes past J20 twice.

If it was timing to repair/resurface why not close lanes 1,2 and 3 one night and keep 2/3/4 open and then swap, or when it turns back into 3 lanes, Close lanes 1 and 2, then 3 and 2 on another night again keeping a lane open.

What exactly are they doing? 

Now everyone has to get off at Clevedon. I understand its very light traffic at these times, but Highways England have been doing my suggestion for resurfacing for years, so I dont understand the need to close ALL the lanes?

Archived