IGNORED

Trust...'DNA'...Everyone working in the same direction...

spudski

17 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

Lee Johnsons big change has been to change less. The call a lot fans made last season. No way was all that last season part of some big plan. It nearly took the club down.

I wonder if this was more a case of him coming to the realisation that he had to do what he thought, and not what he thought was expected of him.  If he'd kept the same team that lost the previous game, playing poorly, he'd have been lambasted for keeping faith with those that didn't deserve it.  Once he realised that this is where he was going wrong, coupled with the Pembo/Macca change, we started to get things right.

I do remember, spud, you saying, in the midst of the depths of last season's despair (:thumbsup:), something like "I'd just like to see how he (LJ) copes" with the mess he had largely created. With avoiding relegation. And he did cope, in the end. Which seemed to amount to giving up on Tomlin, and swapping Jamie Mc for Pembo. 

You were prepared to go, with SL, down to the wire. See how he did. 

So fair play to you for that. 

50 minutes ago, Three Lions said:

Lee Johnsons big change has been to change less. The call a lot fans made last season. No way was all that last season part of some big plan. It nearly took the club down.

Fair point.   Johnson acknowledged this himself in his post season review.

With a full season and another preseason under their belts, I think players understand better what is expected.  I'm sure players have been given simpler instructions.  They all understand their roles and the way we play I think players (and fans) appreciate better the need for rest and rotation when it comes.  Getting rid of the odd rotten apple has helped too. 

3 hours ago, EmersonsRed said:

I agree with what you said R.E Norwich (or our next loss). Hopefully the reaction is that of a normal team. Not one that berates LJ and co to death..

With that in mind what would be the split in between people not giving a toss about losing to Stoke tomorrow and people really wanting a cup run matching last year? I'm in the latter camp considering the improvements we were going through while getting knocked out last year and what we've achieved so far.

I guess the blood letting and nah nah nah nah nah threads and posts are to be expected since we have played well three times in succession and we are in the identical position we were in last season before it went tits up. 

LJ is **** lucky to be in a job. However he stopped buggering around with the team toward the end of last season and the core of Cotterills team and a few good additions playing regularly got him home. 

This season we have played well in several games particularly against Derby, long may that continue. LJ is not the messiah (yet) he is a young coach who leaves trails of disaster behind him that he then starts to fix them, that simply is his MO so far. 

SL has backed him with shed loads of money, some of it spent well, some of it not, however right now we look decent lets just hope the LJ counter revolution continues. A cup run would be nice with such a big squad, keeping a few happy(ish) could be key. 

10 minutes ago, sephjnr said:

With that in mind what would be the split in between people not giving a toss about losing to Stoke tomorrow and people really wanting a cup run matching last year? I'm in the latter camp considering the improvements we were going through while getting knocked out last year and what we've achieved so far.

I wouldn't have cared if we had lost to Watford, and wont mind tomorrow if we lose. Stoke are taking the competition very seriously by all accounts, will be good for the likes of Maggers, Elliason, Taylor etc to get a run out though

13 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I guess the blood letting and nah nah nah nah nah threads and posts are to be expected since we have played well three times in succession and we are in the identical position we were in last season before it went tits up. 

LJ is **** lucky to be in a job. However he stopped buggering around with the team toward the end of last season and the core of Cotterills team and a few good additions playing regularly got him home. 

This season we have played well in several games particularly against Derby, long may that continue. LJ is not the messiah (yet) he is a young coach who leaves trails of disaster behind him that he then starts to fix them, that simply is his MO so far. 

SL has backed him with shed loads of money, some of it spent well, some of it not, however right now we look decent lets just hope the LJ counter revolution continues. A cup run would be nice with such a big squad, keeping a few happy(ish) could be key. 

Its a curious opener. Because the poster in question ridiculed posters suggesting the change in mindset that created the current improvement, and now is still claiming the nah nah nah high ground while being proven wholly wrong .

4 hours ago, spudski said:

....I've been astonished by the reaction of some fans since our win against Derby.

Seeing is believing, spud. When we play like Saturday, LJ, or MA, need say nothing, there's no need for words, or promises, or platitudes, or corporate speak, or invitations to "trust me" and so on.

"Our eyes had seen the glory of the coming to fruition of Lee Johnson,

He has trampled out the garbage where the grapes of wrath are stored.

He hath loosed the youngster Leko on the Derby back four,

His truth is marching on......"

That was a 90 minute, plus added time, performance, whereas last season we only ever managed 45 minutes at most (Derby away, for example). 

1 hour ago, Jack Dawe said:

I do remember, spud, you saying, in the midst of the depths of last season's despair (:thumbsup:), something like "I'd just like to see how he (LJ) copes" with the mess he had largely created. With avoiding relegation. And he did cope, in the end. Which seemed to amount to giving up on Tomlin, and swapping Jamie Mc for Pembo. 

You were prepared to go, with SL, down to the wire. See how he did. 

So fair play to you for that. 

I also remember no names no pack drill, that some were prepared to suffer a 2nd successive relegation under SOD to keep him at the club:thumbsup:.

6 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I also remember no names no pack drill, that some were prepared to suffer a 2nd successive relegation under SOD to keep him at the club:thumbsup:.

as bad as the losing run was, it's still not a patch on how bad things got under hat clown, he was worse then tiny penis

I was one of those who called for LJ to go last season- not because I've got anything against him but because it looked like a change was needed to give us fresh impetus to avoid relegation. However, I am also quite proud we are doing things differently by creating stability rather than resorting to the firing/hiring approach that currently characterises football. Credit to SL for sticking to his guns.

It is still early days and like most teams we are bound to go on a bad run at some point (but please god not 8 defeats in a row), but so far things seem much better this season and we are more cohesive. I'd much rather be in the position we are in now rather than a club like Birmingham, who seem to be in a real mess due to short term thinking.

2 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Its a curious opener. Because the poster in question ridiculed posters suggesting the change in mindset that created the current improvement, and now is still claiming the nah nah nah high ground while being proven wholly wrong .

There are some very good posters on here Not grinding any side of any axe. LJ has it all to prove. 99% of us want it to work for the sake of our club.

I don't go along with SL was proved right or wrong as we can never know what may have happened if a new bloke came in, but what we can say is the signs at the end of last season and for much of the time this are good. 

Good luck to Lee and the side for the rest of the season. 

2 hours ago, sephjnr said:

Me too. I want us to win every time we set foot on a pitch and at every level throughout the club.

1 hour ago, cynic said:

Over 19k average attendance last season :thumbsup:

But that includes those with season tickets whether they were there or absent. But that was after three months with 11 points from a possible 66.

Now we are seeing the hard work, patience, high pressing and a togetherness in the squad that wasn't there in the winter of discontent. It was enough to try the patience of a saint let alone us mortal City fans. 

I, like many others, am now feeling much more optimistic for this season. I don't expect us to be knocking on the door to go up but I see a consolidation with some very good results and of course the odd unexpected defeat. But 1.5 points per game will do while we continue building to be a team that is regarded as a top end one with a realistic chance in two or three years of having a real good go for it. Only when we go to places like Molineux and win and don't lose to crap like Birmingham, will I really believe that the dream will come true.

I'm not getting too carried away just yet. We were very much second best at Reading and Wolves (much the same at Brentford I believe, though I didn't go to that one), yet managed two battling draws and a win. On the other hand we thoroughly deserved the win on Saturday, so a good points tally from tough games. Things are definitely looking up compared to last season, but we need to keep it going.

4 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Absolute bullshit....because you have no idea why LJ made those changes. You are just going along with a mind set that changes were made for the sake of changes. You have no idea of what LJ knew when he made those decisions. The reasons, the injuries, the mind sets, the form etc etc.

You just see the team, make your mind up without the knowledge LJ and his coaching staff had.

If you or another poster has the inside info on players that LJ and his Coaching staff had, then I'd doff my cap to you. But you don't. You just see the 90 mins like we do.

No ridicule....it's just how you take it.

7 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Yeah, i'm not knocking it.  Back in the 70's we had Alan Dicks, but I think a lot of the success was down to the head coach John Sillett.

Look at Brian Clough and Peter Taylor for example.

Maybe we have a star team in the making.

Sillett indeed plus Tony Collins, who don't get enough credit imo.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Absolute bullshit....because you have no idea why LJ made those changes. You are just going along with a mind set that changes were made for the sake of changes. You have no idea of what LJ knew when he made those decisions. The reasons, the injuries, the mind sets, the form etc etc.

You just see the team, make your mind up without the knowledge LJ and his coaching staff had.

If you or another poster has the inside info on players that LJ and his Coaching staff had, then I'd doff my cap to you. But you don't. You just see the 90 mins like we do.

You did ridicule profanely posters last season.

7 hours ago, Three Lions said:

6 hours ago, richwwtk said:

Maybe the changes were required last season? If something isn't right you can't just leave it and hope it will get better.

I believe that the 5-0 defeat at Preston last season followed a win that had resulted in the first unchanged starting lineup for quite a while, that went well.

Think last season it was the constant changes of personnel, formation, game by game, and often in game.  Then the comments to back up his selection, contradicted post-game, and again before the next game, together with calling the young players out.

I'm all for resting players, keeping them at optimum fitness / freshness, but last season was illogical at times, certainly to those of us on the outside.

Saturday's selections, post-Wolves and pre-Stoke made sense.  He tinkered with formation v Wolves but they play different to many sides, so that's ok.  He's kept the same formation pretty much.

10 hours ago, spudski said:

....I've been astonished by the reaction of some fans since our win against Derby.

Previous dissenters now appearing to think LJ is ok as a coach.

I await with baited breath if we get ripped a new one against Norwich :laugh:

However....it got me to thinking. As you've probably worked out over the years, I've always been in favour of LJ being our coach. His appointment has been a long process and planned, which imo is a good thing.

As a person or in business, you pretty much always turn to someone you trust, is qualified respected or know well, if you want an opinion on something, a job done, a recommendation etc.

If running a football Club, you want everyone, in EVERY part of the Club, be it Community trust, Academy, First team etc, all working in the same direction with the same belief.

It only needs a few 'bad eggs' to be working as a lone wolf, to start problems.

Over the years it's become apparent that not everyone was pulling in the same direction at the club, even last season we saw this, and even in our double winning season...hence the dramatic failure the following season....the wins glossing over and detracting from what was going on behind the scenes.

Surrounding yourself in people you can trust and doing due diligence when employing, is something that this Club seem to have taken very seriously of late. Some bad apples may get through, but over all, this is the first season where it seems everyone is working in the same direction.

It's been a gradual process, which imo, is a good thing ( football is way too reactionary ).

It's never going to be perfect...but imo, is essential if you are going to succeed.

I've often been told by those in the game, that results on the pitch often (not always) reflect on the health of the football club.

So maybe from this due diligence we will start to become a bonafide Championship Club and not a yo yo club.

Maybe finding people who have the talent, who you know and trust, can work with, believe in your blueprint and willing to work with it, is the way to go. They maybe not the most experienced, qualified, won everything, be the best footballer ( but have a great attitude and stable background )....but if you all work together, in the same direction, that becomes a very strong unit.

We shall see...but if I was running a football Club, this is exactly the way I'd do it.

Not a case of giving jobs to mates....but to people you know, trust and have qualities you want.

To give a balanced view to this....there is an article that offers a slightly different view.

http://trainingground.guru/articles/challenging-footballs-old-boys-network

Yeh I like this.

12 hours ago, spudski said:

A view widely held view was that Lee Johnson meddled with the team far too much. The subsequent results vindicate that view. Fans have eyes. Experience of watching the game, sometimes many decades of being fans, this helps to create informed views. Fans are not all blockheads..

High presses, high tempo football and Lee Tomlin was never going t work. It did not take inside info to form that view. Thinking you now agree with.

As others have pointed out you did ridicule (rudely) posters who held the above ideas.

47 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

A view widely held view was that Lee Johnson meddled with the team far too much. The subsequent results vindicate that view. Fans have eyes. Experience of watching the game, sometimes many decades of being fans, this helps to create informed views. Fans are not all blockheads..

High presses, high tempo football and Lee Tomlin was never going t work. It did not take inside info to form that view. Thinking you now agree with.

As others have pointed out you did ridicule (rudely) posters who held the above ideas.

You have totally ignored what I said. Regardless of what the 'widely held' view is by fans, they purely judged the performances on match day without knowing the reasons as to why those players were chosen. You can blame the manager as much as you like, but without knowing what he knows behind the scenes, then you are just guessing. Do you not think he would like to play a settled team? A team all knowing what to do?

Do you realise how stupid it looks, when fans say 'look at how better the results and performances are compared to last season, now that we have a settled side'....when it's taken the best part of a season to get to this point? Do you think coach's can wave magic wands over night and make players understand what to do and get it drilled and dialled in over night? They say this with no knowledge of what's going on in training, injuries, mind sets,  disruption, personal issues etc,etc.

As for your remarks on Tomlin....he was dropped.

You choose to see it as ridicule...and it wasn't all fans as you so wrongly put it.

Yes I do find it ridiculous how some fans react. We totally outplayed Derby, and that performance seems to have set the bench mark to how we should be playing.

Do you really think you are going to see that week in, week out?

You watch....next time we lose or put in a performance that's not so good, fans will dissect and find fault and blame etc,etc.

Perhaps if there were more level headed reasoning by some on here, it wouldn't cause such bonkersness.

This league is mental...it is such fine margins. You have teams like Brentford who played us off the park, have the most shots on target ratio in the league, but without a win all season and struggling. Then the likes of 'boring' Ipswich and Cole Skuse getting player of the day flying.

You can judge performances on the day as much as you like...but without knowing everything that the coaching staff know, then you'll never get the FULL understanding as to why certain things and decisions and actions take place.

Anyway...I'm not going to get into a slanging match with you. You've obviously taken umbrage to what you have seen as unnecessary ridicule as you put it. Which you've also taken out of context, as if you had read my thoughts from last season, I was totally against Tomlin playing. But...I don't have the info, knowledge to hand, and the reasons why that LJ had back then. :thumbsup:

Archived