IGNORED

Our leaky, porous defence.....

Jack Dawe

12 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

...second most breached in the Top 10. Not good enough.

Sort it out Johnson.

Please.

Who's going to be the first to point out we've conceded  half of our goals with Flint in the side :fear:

4 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

I noticed that Frank has made the joint second highest number of saves in the Championship on 31 which suggests that far too many balls are getting through to our keeper. 

As long as they are not going in though its not really too much of a problem. 

Well for me it isn't too much a worry. Many seem to be long shots because we clear most crosses now with Flint, Baker and Wright. The only space they're finding is 25-30 yards out and a lot of saves I've seen FF make this season have been pretty routine meaning he should've saved them. We are harder to find space against in the box. Derby found some just outside the box Saturday which worried me a bit but think every shot they took from that area was blocked. We play quite open so teams will score against us but we just feel so much stronger defensively this season. 

39 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

I noticed that Frank has made the joint second highest number of saves in the Championship on 31 which suggests that far too many balls are getting through to our keeper. 

As long as they are not going in though its not really too much of a problem. 

Very true- but it could be a harbinger of less positive times ahead.

Question is, is it part of the system/plan or is it a good run i.e. above expectations defensively, that may come to an end? Or does our setup give the opposition a fair few shots but ones which may not go in- i.e. away as best possible from the danger zone.

One goal we definitely shouldn't have conceded was Villa's equaliser. Now don't get me wrong a point was a good result and arguably we shaded it, but if you look back at the goal, 2 or 3 defenders after the initial block could have surrounded Onomah more- admittedly was a great strike and maybe a slight deflection too but after the initial block, Onomah got too much time/space.

07:36 (the highlights on the BCFC site) yes we got the initial nick but 2 if not 3 defenders backed off in the vicinity. As I say the deflection was unlucky but...perhaps was just one of those moments?

If i'm really being picky- something I'm not inclined to be, the positioning could have been better also.

Putting individual points aside, individual examples- still expect us to finish somewhere around midtable but will enjoy this for as long as it goes forward.  Underlying numbers suggest midtable to me.

6 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Well for me it isn't too much a worry. Many seem to be long shots because we clear most crosses now with Flint, Baker and Wright. The only space they're finding is 25-30 yards out and a lot of saves I've seen FF make this season have been pretty routine meaning he should've saved them. We are harder to find space against in the box. Derby found some just outside the box Saturday which worried me a bit but think every shot they took from that area was blocked. We play quite open so teams will score against us but we just feel so much stronger defensively this season. 

Would be good to see a breakdown of where the shots came from.

6 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

The 3 of them have only played together in 2 games and how many of Wolves' goals came from a cross into the box..?

I cant think of a time in my time supporting City (28 or so years) that we have had a good defensive record in this league.

We have always tried to score our way out of trouble and luckly its always worked and not been a massive issue thats needed to be addressed but seemingly ignored.

When our energy levels drop we might run into a few more problems but lets enjoy ourselves until it happens.

6 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Yes but how the heck are Brentford doing so badly given where they are on that chart. Makes you wonder if it tells you anything useful tbh.

Just about to say the same thing, maybe they are just very bad at shooting and everyone they play are incredibly good at it? :) 

Archived