IGNORED

Our leaky, porous defence.....

Jack Dawe

15 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Yes but how the heck are Brentford doing so badly given where they are on that chart. Makes you wonder if it tells you anything useful tbh.

It absolutely does.

This time last year there was a chart like that, with Fulham in a similar situation to Brentford- struggling in results but with the chart suggesting that they should be doing better.

Fulham ended up having a pretty good season.

There are a few other charts breaking attack and defence down individually, the attacking one tells us that Brums results will pick up dramatically pretty soon, as they have an abusurd number of shots per goal, while Ipswichs form will tail off pretty sharply as they have an unsustainably high shot:goal ratio.

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

One goal we definitely shouldn't have conceded was Villa's equaliser. Now don't get me wrong a point was a good result and arguably we shaded it, but if you look back at the goal, 2 or 3 defenders after the initial block could have surrounded Onomah more- admittedly was a great strike and maybe a slight deflection too but after the initial block, Onomah got too much time/space.

It was a b-i-g deflection, Mr P. 

4 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

It was a b-i-g deflection, Mr P. 

Yes. On watching it again I would concur Rudolf.

It was unlucky but I still think a little more urgency from the 2 defenders in the vicinity and maybe no goal would have resulted.

Anyway I'm not worried about that. I have the odd reservation however about the shots conceded...maybe it's part of the tactical plan, shots from certain areas of less danger.

Or perhaps we're riding our luck a bit defensively. Time will tell and we certainly won't go down but whether the top 6 push is sustainable I have doubts.

36 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

If we are going to push on from here, we simply have to tighten up at the back, it's defences by and large that win things.

Isn't it defences that stop you losing things, not win things..?

We've lost 1 game in 10 Doesn't it kind of seem to be going ok on that front..? 

3 hours ago, 1bristolcity said:

I did the sad thing too and counted where we were in a league of goals conceded...can you imagine how good we could be without Flint in the back 4/3? Love the bloke, but sorry he is a liability.

'liability'

:facepalm:

:laughcont:

Dear oh dear 

(While you're back trolling maybe you'd like to explain why you've rubbished the post re Brentford (With your extensive  knowledge) :laughcont:)

4 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

I know I know, but any good teams build a solid foundation at the back, we still have work to do there, obviously.

Yes, granted. But you don't find too many teams who are top scorers AND particularly tight defensively. 

Teams who manage that are usually the exception. 

5 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Yes, granted. But you don't find too many teams who are top scorers AND particularly tight defensively. 

Teams who manage that are usually the exception. 

Man U Man City ? Yes that is the exception, but it does illustrate what I am saying, loving the run, but we could have should have won Tuesday, very bad error at the back.

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Back to  trolling lil Swindonite eh ?  - awaiting the rubbish explanation - not that , as a troll you will have one

Don't get all irrational now, it's just not worth it, I don't support Swindon Down,you naughty boy, I did live there though, can you understand? So not City and a Troll too, blimey you should get out more. 

8 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

Goals win matches, clean sheets win leagues.

Not a single divisional champion in  the English league had the best defensive record their respective division last season*

*Newcastle had the join best, but not outright. 

10 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

Don't get all irrational now, it's just not worth it, I don't support Swindon Down,you naughty boy, I did live there though, can you understand? So not City and a Troll too, blimey you should get out more. 

You need to get out of harping on about the RAF and Atyeo and understand the game :thumbsup:  

maybe the roundabouts confuse you or you still think it's 1950

Troll

24 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Not a single divisional champion in  the English league had the best defensive record their respective division last season*

*Newcastle had the join best, but not outright. 

OK I will give you that, however coming back to us...it is pretty obvious we need to strengthen defensively, we have to a certain extent with Pisano , Baker etc, and would like to see the GK position improved too. The old days when it was 2 points a win and 1 for a draw was probably more relevant as far as having a rock solid defence., never agreed with the 3 points for a win, if it was just 2 points for a win where would we be in the league to-day?

6th play offs :chant6ez: 

8 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

You need to get out of harping on about the RAF and Atyeo and understand the game :thumbsup:  

maybe the roundabouts confuse you or you still think it's 1950

Troll

Well yes maybe, but at least I have had a life of sorts...you? 

Ssssh let's not go there.:P

Actually that's quite flattering you should take an interest in my past, a bit sad but whatever gets you off.

55 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

OK I will give you that, however coming back to us...it is pretty obvious we need to strengthen defensively, we have to a certain extent with Pisano , Baker etc, and would like to see the GK position improved too. The old days when it was 2 points a win and 1 for a draw was probably more relevant as far as having a rock solid defence., never agreed with the 3 points for a win, if it was just 2 points for a win where would we be in the league to-day?

6th play offs :chant6ez: 

Can't agree with you about strengthening the defence. We have the new keeper but the way Fielding is playing at the moment he's not being shifted some time soon.

As for the back four, as soon as Pisano is fit Flint will be back to the bench with Baker and Wright back in tandem. What with Bryan now looking like the player that most of us thought he could be, why do we obviously need to strengthen?

What with Steel as back up keeper, Vyner and Kelly cover at fullback, Flint and Mags for the Center Back berths.

With none of our defenders being 30yo and most a lot younger, you would assume that there is still improvement in most of them.

We might have let in a few goals but for me the defence is not a worry.

Think since last season we have progressed in defence. The opponents have good and tricky players so its hard to keep clean sheet. 10 conceded in 8 games is nothing to talk about. When we drop the ball in midfield and then a counter attack its difficault to defend. The way we are playing its nice and effective I think. As long as we score more than concede its no problem. Our four back works hard as a unit, our mf helps to defend. Looking good. We are good in the air and play naughty sometimes, like that. We have been far so nice before. Take a yelllow when it needs. Baker, not nice to meet him, he he.

Archived