IGNORED

Lukaku song thoughts.

The turtle

When I read this article it did make me think how people would react these days to the song about Steve Jones. 

Clubs seem to be changing their position on chanting and I think we will see more intervention from clubs and organisations when songs are not seen to be politically correct. 

Well Romelu can always communicate his own feelings in person.

I suggest the best way of doing this is when the next time he scores a goal he does the 'Helicopter' if he doesn't like it and his normal routine if he does.

We can then know and continue merrily with our lives.

Its just a bit of fun, and for those that don't get it, meh, and thanks to the male obsession with penis size there are plenty of scientific studies.

But just for fun DR Congo of which Lukaku's family comes from, turns out in most studies as and average penis size of 7+ inches one of the larger sizes and where as the UK is an average of 5.5 a monster difference.  Science people science :D there you go you no longer have to assume.  And don't ask me for the studies you can litter your google search history with that question if it bothers you ;)

1 hour ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

Well Romelu can always communicate his own feelings in person.

I suggest the best way of doing this is when the next time he scores a goal he does the 'Helicopter' if he doesn't like it and his normal routine if he does.

We can then know and continue merrily with our lives.

WOW I'm never gonna be able to look at Bobby Reid's new 'Fire Extinguisher' Goal GIF in the same light :blush:

Is it racist stereotyping (according to Kick It Out), or racial stereotyping. A subtle difference I think. Stereotyping (or accentuating a person or group of peoples characteristics) has long been the source of some great comedy. How many comedians have discussed being brought up in a Jewish home, or a Catholic or Muslim home. The TV programme Goodness Gracious Me used all kinds of Asian stereotypes to good affect. I thought the Asian group visiting a British restaurant and asking for the blandest thing on the menu, very funny. Not the slightest bit offensive because there was no nasty intent. For me that's what it's all about, intent. It's always simply Racist, Sexist and any other "ists", with never any consideration given to intent.

Anyway, some information that might separate fact and fiction below..........    

Incorrectly fitting condoms is an important factor in condom failure worldwide.

As a result, the World Health Organization created size guidelines for the condoms shipped to certain regions. These measurements are based on three studies that indicate that African men require slightly longer and wider condoms, Caucasian men require medium condoms and Asian men require shorter and slightly narrower condoms.

4 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Of course it's racist. 

Oh Jesus, have I really read this post?  You are really saying that assuming a black man has an above-average sized penis is not racial stereotyping?  Could there possibly be a more clear example of racial stereotyping??  I'm sorry, but my mind is truly blown by this thread.

Of course the song is racist.  It attributes a particular characteristic based purely on race.  How can it not be racist?

Woah there, no need for the overreaction!

I do take your point that the penis size part of the chant is due to the fact that Lukaku is black.. so technically I guess it is racial stereotyping in the driest sense even if statistics clearly show that black men do indeed have bigger dicks!

However racism by definition in the dictionary states:prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.

Sometimes common sense and context needs to applied to these kind of situations. Is there malice involved from those chanting? Does Lukaku or any other black person feel antagonised or intimidated by the chant? Is it likely to spread hate or ignorance in any way? If the answer to any of these questions is yes, then of course I believe it should be banned... But I just can't see it.  So I don't think it's racist - In my opinion of course.

• Admin

I'm losing the will to live, how sad and unfulfilled are the lives of these people who find a childish ditty offensive.  We are heading down a dangerous road of no one being able to express an opinion or have some banter that doesn't fit in narrow socially acceptable guidelines, how long before we get citizens reporting each other to the authorities for thought crime...... looks like Orwells vision was right, he was just 40 years out on the date!

5 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Nope, nor 'he comes from Serbia, he'll f*****g murder ya' that they had for Vidic.

Interesting that, are we even more PC than 6 or 7 years ago then?

Or is it more acceptable to be 'racist' or stereotype Asians than Black people? 

I would say the Ji-Sung Park is far more potentially offensive, on the face of it, than Lukaku's. Korean people really dislike that stereotype. 

I am very interested to know people’s views on the following.

Last week Diane Abbott was on ITV’s good morning Britain talking about the increase in racist comments made personally about her presumably on social media and during the election and it was obviously harrowing for her and she said that she had been called the ’N’ word but then actually said the word on live TV.

After Diane Abbott had said the ’N’ word presenter Susanna Reid said "Obviously people listening to those abusive terms will also be upset by them, you've received them directly.

"We can't broadcast them obviously on the programme at this time in the morning.”

Bearing in mind that Diane Abbott was repeating a word that she had been called and to then be called out on this by Susannah Reid I feel is ridiculous beyond belief and for once felt really sorry for Ms Abbott it wasn’t the ‘C’ word for instance.

Fast forward to Saturday night on the Really TV channel who are doing a retrospective of Fawlty Towers and just before the infamous episode where the Major talking about cricket and not only utters the ’N’ word but also the ‘W’  word there is warning along the lines of “this episode contains language considered ok for TV on the date it was broadcast".

At the time I had two thoughts, firstly I suspect very few comedy writers would be afforded the opportunity to have that episode continually aired in this day age and secondly that pathetic warning hardly warned people who haven’t seen this particular episode of Fawlty Towers of exactly what to expect, for instance possibly the aforementioned Mr Lukaku for one.

I fully understand the context and John Cleese’s nod to Mel Brooks and Blazing Saddles but I can’t help thinking that the double standards applied by TV is mystifying.

Archived