IGNORED

Could we get over one thousand Bristol City fans to Norwich? (Merged)

Never to the dark side

My away trips have got less and less, I will do 3 or 4 I suppose this year. 

I like getting on the mini bus or train and have a few beers etc and make a whole day of it, however these days cost approx £150 sheets once match ticket is included. I also could not care less where we play, one of my fav days in recent years was an away trip to Gillingham in the JPT!!

11 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I agree - our away attendances are strange. We tend to travel well within 2 hours radius and always well to London. We usually have one or two huge away attendances a season like MK or Coventry where 3000+ go.

I wonder if it's partly down to the demographic - we seem to have lots of older fans watching our games who might not fancy longer away days. Clubs like Leeds seem to have loads of 18-35 year olds who might have more time/inclination/disposable income to travel around the country. 

This may sound odd but we do have a lot of glory fans who show up when we're winning and these lot never tend to travel. I'll always have lads in work saying 'it was a good result Saturday' but they never usually attend City games, if they do it's either a offer or we're playing very well i.e 2014/2015 season.

If we managed to sustain success at the top level for a while, our away attendances will rise on a consistent basis. But that's a given I guess!

5 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Yeah can't afford that. Options are national express which take five hours or CATS. Anyone know what time CATS coach generally arrive at games? 

Only done them a couple of times but generally about an hour or so before kickoff. Traffic depending of course. Enough time to get a quick drink before the game anyway.

It's a good service - plugs on board, drops you off and collects you near the ground. Would always choose that over National Express.

6 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Yeah can't afford that. Options are national express which take five hours or CATS. Anyone know what time CATS coach generally arrive at games? 

5 hours on National Express isn't bad at all, only just slightly longer than the train and I think you can have a drink as well which you can't on the cats.

7 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

5 hours on National Express isn't bad at all, only just slightly longer than the train and I think you can have a drink as well which you can't on the cats.

5 hours was a guess and having actually checked its between 6.25 - 7.00. Very shocked at that but then the price is juat over £20.00.

12 hours ago, Lew-T said:

This may sound odd but we do have a lot of glory fans who show up when we're winning and these lot never tend to travel. I'll always have lads in work saying 'it was a good result Saturday' but they never usually attend City games, if they do it's either a offer or we're playing very well i.e 2014/2015 season.

If we managed to sustain success at the top level for a while, our away attendances will rise on a consistent basis. But that's a given I guess!

I agree - shows we have a good catchment area. You see those figures for Burnley being the most well supported prem club if you divide attendances by population of a town. 

I think ours would be on the low end of that equation. As shown by the Wembley attendances; we do have lots of 'supporters' it's just turning those people into fans who attend every week.

I had Norwich as one of the ones I wanted to do this season. Never been before and it always seemed to fall on a Tuesday.*

But I was at a wedding there last weekend and the thought of doing the 10 hour round trip twice in a week... Well Im not going to!!

Problem with Norwich is we won't get our normal 200ish pay on the day as it's such a pain to get to. It really boils down to how many London and East Midlands based city fans make the effort imo.... And it isn't exactly easy for them either!

*this may just be my imagination. 

9 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Just looked at the turn up on the day train fare to Norwich

£116.00p

Bristol TM to London Zones 1&2 (gets you to Liv St = £62.00 return. Liv St - Norwich = £17.00 and £21.00 for the return leg = £100 total.

Back to the OP; if City win at Norwich, then the 1,000+ should be on for Ipswich the week after.

Meanwhile; own up! How many are not going to Norwich but to the Mem instead so they can cheer Sir Colin Daniels?

I agree train can be very pricey if bought close to the day, I do a fair few on the train by using Web sites like ticket splitter and simply booking a reasonable time in advance , got Sunderland for around £80 return while Norwich was £62 return when booked, it is a great way to go to games if your circumstances permit. 

On 20 September 2017 at 08:28, Phileas Fogg said:

Only done them a couple of times but generally about an hour or so before kickoff. Traffic depending of course. Enough time to get a quick drink before the game anyway.

It's a good service - plugs on board, drops you off and collects you near the ground. Would always choose that over National Express.

I've never been on a CATS coach which have plug sockets, I've nearly always been on the Peter Carol ones and they don't. 

12 minutes ago, RedM said:

I didn't realise they had been, thread seems all about travel to Norwich and past experiences. What's the issue?

One thread is about fans traveling to Norfolk and the other is about the players flying up. The later thread deserves discussion I think but now it's been absorbed into a different thread.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

One thread is about fans traveling to Norfolk and the other is about the players flying up. The later thread deserves discussion I think but now it's been absorbed into a different thread.

I didn't merge the threads but can understand why it has been done. I don't think a thread stating about the players flying to Norwich warrants a thread of its own personally, what is there to discuss exactly?  We just get loads of single 'one liner' threads started by people who don't bother to look for similar threads or want to join in with discussion on existing ones. 

Archived