IGNORED

Could we get over one thousand Bristol City fans to Norwich? (Merged)

Never to the dark side

Looking at the last four meetings since 2007/08

1080 city fans for a Saturday afternoon match in 2007/08

518 city fans for a Saturday afternoon match 2008/09

176 city fans for a monday night televised game in 2010/2011

490 city fans for a tuesday night game 2016/17

See the rest of you hoardes at Carrow road on Saturday

38 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

460 sold so far, beat stoke and I can't see why we can't add another 500 on to that

I think you and a few others on here seriously over estimate our away following 

Even if we win 5-0 tonight....We will scrape 650 tops.

Our away attendance, on a whole, is not as good as some like to make out 

6 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

You really are the undisputed king of the half empty glass arent you? Don't think I've ever seen anything remotely positive in any of your posts. ;)

We wont get 1000 there, but could come close. 850ish my my guess.

Should all try and make the trip if you can , its nowhere near as difficult to get as it used to be. The A11 is now dual all the way to Norwich with the bottleneck at Barton Mills alleviated so if you can clear the M25 with no probs you should be clean through. When i went up on bank holiday Friday it took me only 3 and half hours from  Chepstow , i did leave at 730am though.

11 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

I would like to add though thats its still better than the blue few down the road. If any of them bothered to look at stats they would realiae this.

We were around mid table for away attendances last season which is decent for a club who have really struggled the last two seasons.

4 minutes ago, Offside said:

I've never been to Carrow Road and this was on my list of away trips this season, but I now can't make it there on Saturday. Gutted - I've always enjoyed away games in far flung places (although I've gone off visits to Ipswich, where we always seem to lose).

People were saying that about Wolves and Reading ;) allbeit much closer.

17 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Had an interesting convo with mate on way up to Wolves. Think it's the away crowds which separate us from some of the truly big clubs in this league. On our day our away support is amazing and some of the numbers we've taken ie 5500 to MK, 4700 to Sheff Wed, 4000+ to Coventry are phenomenal. However, we don't do it on a consistent basis. The like of Leeds, Sheff Wed etc would never 'only' take 650 to Wolves or 500 to Norwich/Ipswich.

Our home crowds are impressive now but away from home we lack consistency in numbers! That said, see you all at Ipswich!

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Had an interesting convo with mate on way up to Wolves. Think it's the away crowds which separate us from some of the truly big clubs in this league. On our day our away support is amazing and some of the numbers we've taken ie 5500 to MK, 4700 to Sheff Wed, 4000+ to Coventry are phenomenal. However, we don't do it on a consistent basis. The like of Leeds, Sheff Wed etc would never 'only' take 650 to Wolves or 500 to Norwich/Ipswich.

Our home crowds are impressive now but away from home we lack consistency in numbers! That said, see you all at Ipswich!

I agree - our away attendances are strange. We tend to travel well within 2 hours radius and always well to London. We usually have one or two huge away attendances a season like MK or Coventry where 3000+ go.

I wonder if it's partly down to the demographic - we seem to have lots of older fans watching our games who might not fancy longer away days. Clubs like Leeds seem to have loads of 18-35 year olds who might have more time/inclination/disposable income to travel around the country. 

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I agree - our away attendances are strange. We tend to travel well within 2 hours radius and always well to London. We usually have one or two huge away attendances a season like MK or Coventry where 3000+ go.

I wonder if it's partly down to the demographic - we seem to have lots of older fans watching our games who might not fancy longer away days. Clubs like Leeds seem to have loads of 18-35 year olds who might have more time/inclination/disposable income to travel around the country. 

Could be right. I think there is a mentality amongst a lot of the lads I know that one or two games a season are 'picked' or singled out as being big games for whatever reason and EVERYONE goes.

I really like my Tuesday night away games (especially train up to London and back) as you tend to get a bit more of an 'adult' atmosphere. No families or kids just lads. Wolves was actually decent the other night - and for once pretty much everyone STOOD - more of that please!

20 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Could be right. I think there is a mentality amongst a lot of the lads I know that one or two games a season are 'picked' or singled out as being big games for whatever reason and EVERYONE goes.

I really like my Tuesday night away games (especially train up to London and back) as you tend to get a bit more of an 'adult' atmosphere. No families or kids just lads. Wolves was actually decent the other night - and for once pretty much everyone STOOD - more of that please!

I agree - London midweek games are the best for me. Accessible and always a good atmosphere. Also agree about standing - much much better.

19 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I wonder why it is.

Bristol is quite a youthful city I would think, relatively so I wonder why the age range of our fanbase?

Indeed according to the census the average age here is 33 as opposed to England & Wales average of 39.

Just a guess from me - might be totally wrong. Looking around at home games there seems to be far more 45+ than 18-35.

Maybe it's because lots of people living and working in Bristol aren't originally from the area but have moved due to work. If that's the case they may already have teams they support.

57 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

With the form we are on I can see us getting 900 odd up there, especially is it is pay on the day.

Not overestimating our following at all, don't think 900 is unreasonable whatsoever

10 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

With the form we are on I can see us getting 900 odd up there, especially is it is pay on the day.

Not overestimating our following at all, don't think 900 is unreasonable whatsoever

You think sales will double between now and Saturday? Sorry mate but I'm with @Andy082005 on this one. 650 max and similar for Ipswich.

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Norwich and Ipswich two Saturdays in a row makes this a big ask for me, even in current form.

Would expect people to choose one or the other in a lot of cases due to the time/expense, so hitting 1000 would be a fantastic turnout 

Two easy games for me to get to and I'm missing them as away! 

49 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Just a guess from me - might be totally wrong. Looking around at home games there seems to be far more 45+ than 18-35.

Maybe it's because lots of people living and working in Bristol aren't originally from the area but have moved due to work. If that's the case they may already have teams they support.

Certainly think we have an ageing fanbase for sure Which is great the loyalty, the sticking with.

Lots of incomers as you say- some may adopt City as a 2nd local team but most won't. Where I work for example, most are not City fans. Hell a lot aren't even from Bristol- think there's even more Exeter Rugby fans than other Bristol City as first team fans where I work.

Also though, opportunities abound- get the impression a reasonable number of City fans are from North Somerset, some from Somerset more broadly and then South Gloucestershire also- will take more from that lot the longer the gap persists.

1 hour ago, Wanderingred said:

You really are the undisputed king of the half empty glass arent you? Don't think I've ever seen anything remotely positive in any of your posts. ;)

We wont get 1000 there, but could come close. 850ish my my guess.

I actually posted a postive post on here the other day. That's my one for the year done ;)

All joking aside...I actually didn't mean it in a negative way. I just don't think we have the away support some believe we have. We took less then 700 to Wolves last week....we took 1,000 to Bradford and that was a game that won us promotion.

We have a decent away following...but no chance of getting close to 1000 Saturday 

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Pretty much the point I was trying to make but came across as negative 

1 hour ago, Andy082005 said:

Going by the stats since we won promotion we are mid table Championship in away support numbers. Better than many but miles behind clubs like Leeds and Wednesday.

Thats always been the way though.

I think most City fans are pretty realistic about where we stand in the scheme of things unlike fans of certain other clubs who claim to have 'amazing' away support despite only taking 800 here and 500 there on Saturday afternoons.

Agree with you about Saturday. 650ish I reckon.

Archived