IGNORED

Could we get over one thousand Bristol City fans to Norwich? (Merged)

Never to the dark side

23 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Certainly think we have an aging fanbase for sure Which is great the loyalty, the sticking with.

Lots of incomers as you say- some may adopt City as a 2nd local team but most won't. Where I work for example, most are not City fans. Hell a lot aren't even from Bristol- think there's even more Exeter Rugby fans than other Bristol City as first team fans where I work.

Also though, opportunities abound- get the impression a reasonable number of City fans are from North Somerset, some from Somerset more broadly and then South Gloucestershire also- will take more from that lot the longer the gap persists.

I think most clubs have an ageing fan base. There's more options now, most of which better value, than football. 

Also I think Bristol having such a huge Saturday football playing scene doesn't help. I reckon that eats into our numbers a bit.

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Had an interesting convo with mate on way up to Wolves. Think it's the away crowds which separate us from some of the truly big clubs in this league. On our day our away support is amazing and some of the numbers we've taken ie 5500 to MK, 4700 to Sheff Wed, 4000+ to Coventry are phenomenal. However, we don't do it on a consistent basis. The like of Leeds, Sheff Wed etc would never 'only' take 650 to Wolves or 500 to Norwich/Ipswich.

Our home crowds are impressive now but away from home we lack consistency in numbers! That said, see you all at Ipswich!

Leeds barely scraped a thousand to Birmingham in midweek a couple of years ago when they were naff.

7 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think most clubs have an ageing fan base. There's more options now, most of which better value, than football. 

Also I think Bristol having such a huge Saturday football playing scene doesn't help. I reckon that eats into our numbers a bit.

Agreed. Leisure activities, rising prices- all play their part.

We do seem pretty big on that in Bristol for sure.

4 minutes ago, BCFC J said:

Leeds barely scraped a thousand to Birmingham in midweek a couple of years ago when they were naff.

Leeds are a well supported club on their travels. Very well- I remember a pre-season friendly in 2003 they filled a good chunk of away end from memory! (Admittedly they were still PL but they were declining fast).

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yes, that's all our followings of 1,000+ in the 2007/08 season.

9 out of 23 away games we took in excess of 2,700 :dance:

I do think there's a big untapped latent or lapsed fanbase, both for home and away. 100%. That's superb, 2/3 of away games in excess of 1k. Well before my time but I assume- when clubs got whole ends and it was standing behind goals- we took some massive followings then?

Bristol, North Somerset, some of Somerset more generally and parts of South Gloucs our fanbase I'd say, predominantly.

@Super I had a very quick wonder of the same thing- they doubtless have a latent untapped fanbase too and were doing quite well at the time but it seemed somewhat high!

14 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Our away crowds in 2007/08 were big-time, mind.  :clap:

image.png

That season we had the double bonus of new away grounds from previous seasons plus challenging at the top of the Championship. It's an example of what we can take in the right circumstances. I'm sure if Charlton had been a Saturday we'd have had a couple more thousand there. Presumably Cardiff was also a bubble game?  

12 minutes ago, Super said:

Where are we?

That's not averages, that's the City attendances.

7 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

That season we had the double bonus of new away grounds from previous seasons plus challenging at the top of the Championship. It's an example of what we can take in the right circumstances. I'm sure if Charlton had been a Saturday we'd have had a couple more thousand there. Presumably Cardiff was also a bubble game?  

And Stoke away was a 5.30pm ko live on Sky.

22 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I remember that. Was a bit weird that we didn't sell that out. I know it was on sky, but it was a Saturday 3pm.

Midday ko from memory and £35 a ticket put a lot of people off I think. Still - amazed we didn't sell-out for what was one of the biggest games in our history

18 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Watched that in a bar in Sopot, just along the coast from Gdansk in Poland. The atmosphere about 20 of us made that day (in association with Tyskie and Zywiec) was immense. 

COYR 

Atmosphere inside the ground was certainly immense!

I am hoping to do more away games when I retire/semi retire in the next couple of years. Currently it's difficult for me to justify going to an away game when I spend 100+ nights away from home with work. I occasionally get lucky and have an away game close to where I am working, otherwise I have to suggest making a weekend of it to my lovely wife to get to see a game. 

Hmmmmm she does quite like Norwich.............

Will be finding a stream for the Ipswich game as NTTDS has pointed out it is being shown in Europe.

I use to do between 5 and 10 away games a season. All over the place. Last couple of seasons I probably done 3 or 4 . Haven't missed a home game for years. But I've seemed to have lost my excitement of going away. Maybe it's because I have a child now who's a season ticket holder. Who only goes away if I drive. To young for the fun bus . Going to try harder 

Archived