IGNORED

Why I don't like Stoke

Midlands Robin

Hostile place to go as an away fan I always found but went there once as a neutral after a city game was postponed just before kick off and they were a very welcoming bunch. 

Hated the fact they were just that little bit better than us in the early 2000's always thought Graham Kavanagh was the difference between the two sides. 

• Admin
1 hour ago, Midlands Robin said:

At the end of the match, leaving the away end, there was a big fence around the back of the away stand within which the coaches had parked. There were gates that closed off this section and these had been shut to hold the away fans back. There was a reasonably big mob of Stoke fans who seemed to want to get in and share their bottles and cans with us but the local police wouldn't let them so instead they took to throwing them over the top of the fence at us. 

That was the day I was on the local radio phone in, they were phoning in saying the Bristol City fans were chucking pint glasses at the Sjoke fans walking past, I asked where they thought we could get our hands on pint glasses in the away end - the host was a bit put aback and didn't seem to grasp what really went on that day. If it wasn't for that giant fence it would have been carnage

Just a word on the Ramsey issue because it probably riles us more than anything else and I don't think anyone in the media will ever attempt to see our point of view.

Firstly, the tackle from Shawcross. It wasn't two footed, there were no studs showing. Maybe too forceful, but if you watch the video on You-Tube you can see he tries to pull out. Most of the media at the time accepted it was an accident. None of them made reference to Shawcross' shirt being pulled, hence him trying extra hard to get there first.

Shawcross and Pulis both attempt to apologise but Ramsey refuses to take the calls and ignores the texts (check out Holden's excellent response to the Johnny Evans tackle that practically ended his career).

What then happened is that everytime Ramsey set foot on a football pitch for the next 6 years the commentator would mention the 'appalling tackle by Shawcross'. Every interview with Ramsey made reference to it, like he was the only player ever to break a leg. 

Initially, Stoke fans were respectful and sympathetic to Ramseys plight, but given how the media have singled Shawcross out and magnified every push-me pull-you incident he's been involved in since, we began to smell a rat, a Wenger inspired media witch hunt.

Foolishly we began to rise to the bait and started to boo Ramsey. Some then started to sing a song about him walking with a limp. The media of course went large on this while apparently not noticing that the Arsenal fans continue to sing "Ryan Shawcross we hope that you die" everytime we play them - no, you'd not heard that had you?

Stoke and Shawcross have copped every bit of blame for an accidental footballing incident and still the media bring the injury up at every opportunity. Our supporters are stupid to rise to it, but that's football supporters isn't it.

There's more to it than I've mentioned, but I could go on all day, so I'll stop now. I just think it's important that someone, somewhere gets to hear our side of it.

11 minutes ago, Dreamkiller said:

Just a word on the Ramsey issue because it probably riles us more than anything else and I don't think anyone in the media will ever attempt to see our point of view.

Firstly, the tackle from Shawcross. It wasn't two footed, there were no studs showing. Maybe too forceful, but if you watch the video on You-Tube you can see he tries to pull out. Most of the media at the time accepted it was an accident. None of them made reference to Shawcross' shirt being pulled, hence him trying extra hard to get there first.

Shawcross and Pulis both attempt to apologise but Ramsey refuses to take the calls and ignores the texts (check out Holden's excellent response to the Johnny Evans tackle that practically ended his career).

What then happened is that everytime Ramsey set foot on a football pitch for the next 6 years the commentator would mention the 'appalling tackle by Shawcross'. Every interview with Ramsey made reference to it, like he was the only player ever to break a leg. 

Initially, Stoke fans were respectful and sympathetic to Ramseys plight, but given how the media have singled Shawcross out and magnified every push-me pull-you incident he's been involved in since, we began to smell a rat, a Wenger inspired media witch hunt.

Foolishly we began to rise to the bait and started to boo Ramsey. Some then started to sing a song about him walking with a limp. The media of course went large on this while apparently not noticing that the Arsenal fans continue to sing "Ryan Shawcross we hope that you die" everytime we play them - no, you'd not heard that had you?

Stoke and Shawcross have copped every bit of blame for an accidental footballing incident and still the media bring the injury up at every opportunity. Our supporters are stupid to rise to it, but that's football supporters isn't it.

There's more to it than I've mentioned, but I could go on all day, so I'll stop now. I just think it's important that someone, somewhere gets to hear our side of it.

Interesting, and to be fair I'd not seen 90% of that reported in the media - Stoke fans clearly have a point re the way things have been spun. The booing of the player himself still seems unnecessary though. 

15 minutes ago, Dreamkiller said:

Two sides to every story and all that. 

8 minutes ago, RedJim said:

Interesting, and to be fair I'd not seen 90% of that reported in the media - Stoke fans clearly have a point re the way things have been spun. The booing of the player himself still seems unnecessary though. 

Agreed. And totally counter-productive. But it's tribal isn't it. Every interview and every match commentary refers to it. But football fans react when their club and their player is attacked. That's all Stoke fans are doing. I don't subscribe to it, but being in the thick of it, I can totally see how it happened. If Shawcross hadn't been unfairly pilloried (and it's gone on for years), Ramsey would always have had a decent reception from Stokies.

To be honest Stoke were one of those clubs I never really thought much about. My only memory is of the Cheesley injury match.

Recently though I have a Stoke supporter as a colleague and I take more notice of their scores. They went up in my estimation after watching that programme "Marvellous" - brilliant bit of TV.

4 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

I think this was my first or second city game. I don't hate them for winning because they were the better side, i disliked them for beating us at their place in 08 because tht sidibie was like bas savage and managed to rip us apart. Fair play to them though for how far they have gone.

Would it help if I said we'd never seen Sidibe do anything like that before. :dancing2:

• Admin
6 minutes ago, Dreamkiller said:

Would it help if I said we'd never seen Sidibe do anything like that before. :dancing2:

I'd honestly forgotten it was Stoke we were challenging with for the Auto spots, and no memory of West Brom winning it that season - just read the review online

My memory goes back to battles from prior to that

Didn't really know much about Stoke until the Wembley final, I was 15 and we'd just got some cans in an off licence, came out and we were surrounded by Stoke fans giving it all verbal towards us. 

I also went away in the play off season and was warned about their reputation but to be fair the ground was on an industrial park and lacked any intimidation factor. Still resent the fact we never turned up in the 1st half against them and blew our chances of prem footy! 

Don't hate them or like them!

I haven't been too keen on Stoke either since that game at Wembley. It was horrible when Silver Lining was played as our "theme song" and from that moment nothing about the game felt quite right, topped off by the controversial nature of their winner.

I remember Tinnion's lob at their place very well. Great goal. It's always seemed freezing when I've been to their ground, though. Ditto Port Vale. 

6 hours ago, Midlands Robin said:

The stadium announcer then says 'here's a song for the City fans', I turn to my mate and say this is going to be good as I expect 37000 City fans to launch into the Cider song. Suddenly, from the Wembley PA System comes 'you're everywhere and nowhere baby.....' as Hi Ho Silver Lining plays. Cue 37000 City fans all looking at each other in confusion. The song falls flat with a half assed 'Hi Ho Bristol City' for the chorus. This day was not going well.

Yes, I remember that moment well.  Sadly, it seems to have been adopted in some quarters and I don't think ironically....

1 hour ago, Dreamkiller said:

Totally agree with ya. Arsenal fans are complete morons, funny ones though. 

Remember playing stoke in the FA cup . Drew 0-0 . (I think) . Stoke fans spilled on to the pitch. Anyone else remember this :blink: . As for stoke. Always think they create a good atmosphere at home. Even though that song is shit . Very capable of beating the top sides at home. They've done well. Saying that let's do um 

Now I may or may not have told this story before so if you've already heard it, skip on...

I didn't attend the Auto Windscreen Shield as I was approaching my Year 9 SATS and Mother dearest told me I had to revise. So my late old man and my little brother went to see the Two Towers, whilst I listened to RB in my room and revised (or just listened to RB).

So Dad and little bro went on a coach organised by a well known publican whom shall remain nameless. Plenty of singing and good spirits all the way down the M4.

On arrival at Wembley, Dad approached the turnstiles with a Sainsbury's carrier in hand. Inside the bag was a large selection of alcoholic beverages. The security guard whipped out the 4 pack of some unknown lager and looked in the bag to find all that remained was a coat. After removing the beers, he was allowed through.

Getting comfy in their seats inside the main stand, Dad smirked and removed the coat from the bag. Wrapped inside was a big pack of ale tinnies...

He was the only happy City fan leaving Wembley that day...

So for that reason, he didn't mind Stoke that much either...

9 hours ago, Midlands Robin said:

It all started back in 2000. I'd finally managed to find enough time and money to be able to get my first Season Ticket. The 99-2000 season was not a great time to start though. It was the season after our relegation in embarrassing fashion after the John Ward / Benny fiasco. Halfway through the season the most unpopular City manager of all time, Clueless Pulis had walked out on us to join Pompy prompting a One Team cover that thanked all of the directors, players and supporters of Portsmouth Football club for taking him off our hands. For some reason our board decided to replace him with a scout (Tony Fawthrop) and the acadamy director (Dave Burnside) whose collective managerial experience at any level was zero. Scott Davidson our young chairman was running out of ideas and clearly starting to realise that he didn't have enough money to get City to where he wanted us to be and the whole mood around the club was as flat as pancake. Attendances had barely climbed above 10000 all season and to cap it all, we spent most of the season behind the sags in the table. 

There was however, a ray of light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks to a 5-1 drubbing of Exeter in the Southern Area final first leg and the intervention of Peter Beadle's backside salvaging a 1-1 draw on a cold wet Tuesday night in Exeter, City were on their way to Wembley for what would be their first appearance there in over a decade and the last chance to see the old twin towers before their demolition at the end of that year. The Northern Area winners were Stoke City. A big club with a big following which would set up a great day out in London. 

There were signs however, that it was just not going to be our day. In February 2000 Stoke legend Sir Stanley Matthews had passed away and it was announced that this game would be dedicated to Sir Stanley and that the FA Cup hymn 'Abide with me' would be sung before kick off. 

City announced that we had lost the draw to wear our home shirts and therefore as the nominal 'away team' we would celebrate our trip to Wembley with a special shirt to mark the occasion. Bad omen number 2. I can almost hear the telephone call to our kit supplier. The one where the guy on the other end of the phone has to cover the mouth piece and tell his mate that he's finally managed to find somewhere to offload that kit that no one wants. So, for our big day out at Wembley, the mighty Reds would be wearing an horrendous gold shirt with a BLUE and WHITE stripe down the front. BLUE and WHITE? Seriously? I know, I know, City had a blue and white kit for the 1909 FA Cup Final but that was in pre gaseous days when the Eastville Squaters FC were still playing in a park somewhere with jumpers for goal posts. By the year 2000, the last thing any self respecting City fan wanted to see on a kit at Wembley was blue and white.

With ticket sales totalling over 75000 the atmosphere on the day was set to be a cracker. As most people know, Stoke sing a song about some Welsh bloke who murders his wife with a knife for laughing at him. No, I don't get it either. So to ensure that every City fan would do his duty, the last issue of One Team had the words to Drink up thee Cider printed on it in the hope that we could all get beyond the bit where we are 'going down the rovers' and actually give the Stoke fans a run for their money in the song stakes. So come the big day and the stadium announcer says here's a song for the Stoke fans and 37000 voices sing Delilah in unison it was rather impressive. The stadium announcer then says 'here's a song for the City fans', I turn to my mate and say this is going to be good as I expect 37000 City fans to launch into the Cider song. Suddenly, from the Wembley PA System comes 'you're everywhere and nowhere baby.....' as Hi Ho Silver Lining plays. Cue 37000 City fans all looking at each other in confusion. The song falls flat with a half assed 'Hi Ho Bristol City' for the chorus. This day was not going well.

And on to the match.

In two previous attempts that season, City had not managed to beat Stoke. We'd drawn both games, 1-1 away thanks to a late goal from Brian Tinnion and 2-2 at home just a few weeks before the final thanks to a brace from Tony Thorpe. Stoke started the better of the two sides and went a goal up while City really struggled to find their feet. Moving into the second half, slowly City started to come back into the game and then, in the 74th minute the ball was hit across the Stoke goal and Paul Holland sprang like an arthritic salmon all of about 4 feet into the air and headed the ball home. 1-1 and at last things were going our way. But it wasn't to be. in the 82nd minute, Louis Carey gave away a free kick on the edge of our box. To this day I have no idea what his conversation with the referee was about. Maybe Lewis was trying to find out which idiot thought Hi Ho Silver lining was the appropriate song or maybe he just felt like having a nice chat with the ref but either way the Stoke player politely enquired of the ref that while he was having a chat to Louis would he mind very much if he got on with the free kick. The ref told him to carry on and a few seconds later the ball was in the back of the net. 2-1 Stoke and that's how it ended.

To make matters worse, as the coaches left the stadium at the end of the game we found ourselves stuck in the inevitable traffic jam. Just then, passing us slowly in the outside lane a coach load of Stoke fans drew level with the windows of our coach. Insults were exchanged like two passing ships at the battle of Trafalgar. A broadside of middle fingers, bare arses and general abuse all directed from the Stoke coach as we were sat in our gloom after the days events. It was a long, long journey home. 

City ended the season in 9th place in the table, 2 places and 16 points behind the sags. Scott Davidson resigned as chairman the following year. Tony Fawthrop almost had the City managers job full time but it fell through and City would have to wait another 15 years to taste further success at Wembley. 

And to this day, I still don't like Stoke. 

Let's hope we can knock them out of the cup tonight. COYR.

Remember the 1.0 win over them with Marv's wonder goal. Unfortunately it was sadly tarnished by the death of a city supporter in the Dolman who I believe suffered a heart attack. Very sad. Remember there were barely any celebrations when we scored due to the situation. 

They've done well very well as a club. Remember being at the Brit when they beat us 2.1 to all but kill our auto hopes under GJ. Sidibe destroyed us. 

Remember a week game at the Victoria Ground I'm guessing around 1994. Was living in Birmingham at the time and went to the game with a Chelsea supporting mate in his old VW Beetle, which kept over-heating. Paul Milsom got sent off and Stoke had put 5 past us. Jordan, managing Stoke at the time, got dog's abuse all game "He'll bugger off and leave ya!" When the fifth goal went in, sections of the away support started chanting "We want 6" at which point it all kicked off amongst the City supporters. Mental night; we eventuall got back to Brum at gone midnight and spent the early hours at Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club...

8 hours ago, Midlands Robin said:

I remember the first time I visited their new ground, the (insert sponsors name here) stadium. 

The game was an awful affair and I can't for the life of me remember the result but we didn't win. All I remember was that there was some sort of clash of kits and we had to change strip at half time and that it was a shit game.

At the end of the match, leaving the away end, there was a big fence around the back of the away stand within which the coaches had parked. There were gates that closed off this section and these had been shut to hold the away fans back. There was a reasonably big mob of Stoke fans who seemed to want to get in and share their bottles and cans with us but the local police wouldn't let them so instead they took to throwing them over the top of the fence at us. 

Eventually they were moved on and the gates were opened to allow the away fans to leave. As my mate and I were walking up the slope towards the main road we got talking to a friendly copper. There were rows of cars waiting to leave the stadium and as we passed one the copper we were chatting to suddenly said to us, excuse me lads. He then turned around. Opened the door of one of the cars in the queue and pulled out a Stoke fan in the process of rolling a massive cannabis joint. 

A funny day out. 

Remember it wrll. Didnt Murray get sent off as well?

Archived