IGNORED

The official Bristol City FC v Stoke City FC in the Carabao Cup match day thread

Septic Peg

Good morrow maidens and sirs.

Stoke.

It's a shithole 'oop North'... alas, I can confirm. It's proper grim.

Tonight, we welcome yet another Prem team hoping to crush 'little Bristol City'. "Who the fewk are they?" was chorused in homes across the Trent when it was announced at stupid o'clock British time that they were on their travels down the M1 and M5...

So what can I tell you about Stoke itself?

It's most famous for its potteries which lends it's tradition to the nickname for Stoke City (The Potters - nope, nowt to do with that wizard kid who whooped that big baddie wizard).

Major potteries located in and around the Stoke area include Wedgewood, Royal Doulton, Royal Worcester, Wade, Spode and Moorcroft as well as many smaller scale ceramic makers. Plenty of choice as to which cup maker you drink your tea with your pinky out... in other industries, Bet365 is HQ'ed here (and the owners of Bet365 own Stoke City itself) as was the now defunct Phones4U (remember them? Can you do the weird hand gesture? I can... skills)

Stoke has it's own 'angel of the north' called Golden which looks more like a giant orange carrot covered in some odd fungus. It's made of steel. Pic below.

Famous peeps to hail from Stoke include Robbie 'I hate Gary Barlow' Williams (although he'll be an honorary BCFC fan tonight - he supports Stoke City neibs Port Vale), Lemmy from Motorhead (RIP) and Bob the Builder and serial shagger Neil Morrisey.

Fun fact: Stoke has their own weird dialect just like ours. Except ours makes sense. We call trainers daps because of daps being a type of shoe. Some of their strange words include;

• Nesh - meaning soft/tender but can also mean to get cold.
  • Slat - to throw
  • Shug - sugar as in a term of endearment.

They also coined the more famous term of endearment that is 'duck'. 

So if you meet some Stokies tonight, you'll understand them... you are most welcome.

On to the football.

Stoke City have some good and well known faces in their squad. The most obvious being the robotic bean pole Peter Crouch. He'll be looking over the top of the Lansdown Stand tonight if unselected. Jack Butland the Bristolian goalie may also feature as he 'comes home'. 

Ran by Leslie Hughes aka Mark Hughes (Some odd weird Welsh thing where they don't use their actual name), they trounced Rochdale 4-0 in the previous round. In the Prem so far, they've only beaten Arsenal (which tbf, is looking like a piece of piss for most clubs atm) and lost to Everton and Newcastle, whilst drawing with West Brom and the big boys Man U.

I feel a 3-2 win for Stoke tonight. We will give them a run for their money no doubt, but I can see Crouchy if he makes it onto the pitch, just being that little bit taller than our jumping machine Aden Flint.

Come on you reds...

Ps. Here's an article I found during my research. They want our Joe and are gonna boo Leko. Hmmmm... http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-v-stoke-city-493163

Golden_Sculpture_Stoke_on_Trent.jpg

Nice thread Peg. 

Not too bothered about tonight's result. They'll play a strong side I'd imagine. I know Kurt Zouma has been confirmed as playing already, which is a bit of a nightmare as he is very, very good. Probably see the likes of Bojan etc too. 

Will be a tough game. Looking forward to seeing the likes of Eliasson though. Hope we give it a good go, but no issues if we are beaten. 

coyr

Looking forward to this.

My cup record watching anyone is pretty good, including BMF, Mangotsfield and Hallen* I have only seen my preferred side lose once- City away at Watford in the FA Cup 3rd round replay in 2013/14.

*2 games between 2 of those 3 sides ignored as I was genuinely happy to see either team go through, but 'chose' the underdog on the day (cracking games too, Hallen 5-6 BMF, which cost me nothing to see as they knew me at the ground, and Mangotsfield 1-0 Hallen, where Hallen deserved a win and were denied a stonewall penalty).

4 minutes ago, EmersonsRed said:

Nice thread Peg. 

Not too bothered about tonight's result. They'll play a strong side I'd imagine. I know Kurt Zouma has been confirmed as playing already, which is a bit of a nightmare as he is very, very good. Probably see the likes of Bojan etc too. 

Will be a tough game. Looking forward to seeing the likes of Eliasson though. Hope we give it a good go, but no issues if we are beaten. 

coyr

I don't think we will see Bojan as he went on loan to Deportivo Alavés

11 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Stoke.

Tonight, we welcome yet another Prem team hoping to crush 'little Bristol City'. "Who the fewk are they?" was chorused in homes across the Trent when it was announced at stupid o'clock British time that they were on their travels down the M1 and M5...

So what can I tell you about Stoke itself?

It's most famous for its potteries which lends it's tradition to the nickname for Stoke City (The Potters - nope, nowt to do with that wizard kid who whooped that big baddie wizard).

Major potteries located in and around the Stoke area include Wedgewood, Royal Doulton, Royal Worcester, Wade, Spode and Moorcroft as well as many smaller scale ceramic makers. Plenty of choice as to which cup maker you drink your tea with your pinky out... in other industries, Bet365 is HQ'ed here (and the owners of Bet365 own Stoke City itself) as was the now defunct Phones4U (remember them? Can you do the weird hand gesture? I can... skills)

Stoke has it's own 'angel of the north' called Golden which looks more like a giant orange carrot covered in some odd fungus. It's made of steel. Pic below.

Famous peeps to hail from Stoke include Robbie 'I hate Gary Barlow' Williams (although he'll be an honorary BCFC fan tonight - he supports Stoke City neibs Port Vale), Lemmy from Motorhead (RIP) and Bob the Builder and serial shagger Neil Morrisey.

Fun fact: Stoke has their own weird dialect just like ours. Except ours makes sense. We call trainers daps because of daps being a type of shoe. Some of their strange words include;

• Nesh - meaning soft/tender but can also mean to get cold.
  • Slat - to throw
  • Shug - sugar as in a term of endearment.

They also coined the more famous term of endearment that is 'duck'. 

So if you meet some Stokies tonight, you'll understand them... you are most welcome.

On to the football.

Stoke City have some good and well known faces in their squad. The most obvious being the robotic bean pole Peter Crouch. He'll be looking over the top of the Lansdown Stand tonight if unselected. Jack Butland the Bristolian goalie may also feature as he 'comes home'. 

Ran by Leslie Hughes aka Mark Hughes (Some odd weird Welsh thing where they don't use their actual name), they trounced Rochdale 4-0 in the previous round. In the Prem so far, they've only beaten Arsenal (which tbf, is looking like a piece of piss for most clubs atm) and lost to Everton and Newcastle, whilst drawing with West Brom and the big boys Man U.

I feel a 3-2 win for Stoke tonight. We will give them a run for their money no doubt, but I can see Crouchy if he makes it onto the pitch, just being that little bit taller than our jumping machine Aden Flint.

Come on you reds...

Ps. Here's an article I found during my research. They want our Joe and are gonna boo Leko. Hmmmm... http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-city-v-stoke-city-493163

Golden_Sculpture_Stoke_on_Trent.jpg

There was a burglary at Stoke's famous Toilet making pottery last night .

The Police have nothing to go on .

21 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Steele to get minutes?

Steele

Vyner Flint Magnússon Kelly

COD Brownhill Hegeler/Pack Eliasson

Taylor Diedhiou

Excited to see Eliasson but curious to see which fullback he lines up ahead of.

Also looking forward to see Eliasson play and that team is more or less what I think we'll go with. I reckon we might go with Magnússon at left back though so our left is a bit more balanced but I would really like to see Kelly play.  

33 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

Another famous resident of Stoke on Trent was Captain Edward Smith who commanded the Titanic on her fateful maiden voyage. 

I don't think that's in any way useful or relevant to tonight's match but just thought I'd throw it out there. 

Also Anthea Turner is also from Stoke may help to clean up after our victory!!

3 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

Stoke.

Peg,

You just knew that someone was going to say "Oh no, it's not."

At least 15% of it is really nice.

My son was born there. The surrounding area is superb.  

Bacon n Cheshire Cheese Oatcakes are fantastic. 

On a historical note, the Germans in WW2 only visited it twice...and missed. The smoke from the kilns obstructed their views.... maybe.

There's also an area called Dresden which was named after the German Pottery centre. The Stoke version remained intact throughout the war.

Slash came from Stoke as did Sir Stanley Matthews (think Scotty and John Atyeo rolled into one.)

5 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

Peg,

On a historical note, the Germans in WW2 only visited it twice...and missed. The smoke from the kilns obstructed their views.... maybe.

There's also an area called Dresden which was named after the German Pottery centre. The Stoke version remained intact throughout the war.

Slash came from Stoke as did Sir Stanley Matthews (think Scotty and John Atyeo rolled into one.)

I've been through Stoke when I used to travel to Nottingham to visit an ex. I guess some of it is ok.

As for Slash from G&R, he was actually born in London but all his family came from Stoke and he grew up there. Only know as Hubs is a rocker.

3 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Hope to knock the spark out of Sparky tonight.

Isn't that well known drug addict Robbie Williams from Stoke too (though a Port Vale) fan.

2 -3 to The Potters I'm afraid, but I'm looking forward to the game and keeping my fingers crossed.

How many tickets now sold?

Not big on Robbie, me.. but I've a feeling we'd be cheering on the same side tonight.

Apologies if it's been asked already, but is there any way to watch the game at home?

To actually contribute to the thread, the fact that Hughes appears to be taking this seriously means I'd be surprised to get a win here. I suppose they will play Jese, Choupo-Moting etc. which may mean a struggle for our defence. I'm going for a 1-2 loss unfortunately.

19 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:

Peg,

Probably because the Germans flew over Stoke and assumed it had already been hit! 

36 minutes ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

Leslie, hahahahaha, no wonder he uses his middle name. 

I reckon we'll turn them over, 2-0.

Youuuuu Reeeddddddssss 

I had a Welsh father and I have always been called by my second name (though he wasn't).

I've always wondered whether it was a Welsh thing, but I'm not sure.

It seems to be common among cricketers - eg Viv Richards, Colin Cowdrey ...

3 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I had a Welsh father and I have always been called by my second name (though he wasn't).

I've always wondered whether it was a Welsh thing, but I'm not sure.

It seems to be common among cricketers - eg Viv Richards, Colin Cowdrey ...

As far as I'm aware, it's a Welsh thing. 

I had a proper broad welsh science teacher at secondary school. He was known by his middle name Andrew but his first name was John iirc.

Looks an interesting team, @Ian M .

Fear we would get overrun in the middle though unless Hegeler steps up to form a 3 as and when necessary.

Because, assuming they don't rest a huge number of players- both Jese and Shaqiri can both come inside- both fine inside and on flanks- and it can create a 2 vs 3 or even a 2 vs 4.

Archived