IGNORED

The official Bristol City FC v Stoke City FC in the Carabao Cup match day thread

Septic Peg

28 minutes ago, Dreamkiller said:

Thanks for pointing that out for me!   :grr:

I'm getting to hate football more and more. Seems like an age since I've experienced the kind of high that you lot are feeling now. Make the most of it my friends. Nights like this come around all too rarely. 

I found myself wondering halfway through the game whether stoke fans miss the football league. 

It has been a decade - believe it or not - since city and stoke went head to head for promotion. Of course stoke came out on top. Since that season city have stalled, been relegated, then been promoted as champions/cup winners, and now appear to be competing at this level again. We have seen ups and mostly downs. Stoke, on the other hand, have mostly overseen 10 seasons of extremely commendable midtable premier league finishes. But surely the initial buzz of visiting massive teams and claiming the odd scalp has got old now? Isn't it just a bit... boring? Give me the blood and thunder of last minute equalisers at Brentford, unexpected topplings of 'superiors' in the cup, and the odd thrashing of - relatively - big teams like Derby any day. 

I think the anticipation of the big time is probably more exciting than the big time itself. 

It was all about keen young 'uns trouncing jaded big names.

Funnily enough, although they hit the crossbar and we then had to clear off the goal line, I never felt we'd lose.

Players I'd hitherto been slightly sceptical about, such as Heggeler, had good games against big money opponents.

Now can I fall asleep after all that excitement....   :clapping:

This season has been unbelievable so far except for the Millwall game.  Honestly didn't think we would get a result from this one, let alone run them off the park like we did.  Christ, we could have put 9 or 10 past them.

Haven't heard what Sparky had to say, but should be interesting.

Fam played a lot better tonight, seems to be settling in, but still making stray passes.  Was winning and holding the ball a bit better though.

Steele looked like a decent stopper.

With Korey, Bobby and Joe on the bench, Eros still injured and Patto rested, I wondered how seriously we were taking this game. Wow, how wrong I was.

9 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Who's rather nice looking helicopter was parked at the cricket club?

It wasn't mine,  I couldn't get it started, because it's raining here again and has done for most of this month.  Just like living in the UK again. Once again congratulations to the lads and LJ for getting it right again last night,  hope we land a big Prem club at home or possibly Spurs at Wembley. COYR's!!!!!!

9 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

This season has been unbelievable so far except for the Millwall game.  Honestly didn't think we would get a result from this one, let alone run them off the park like we did.  Christ, we could have put 9 or 10 past them.

Haven't heard what Sparky had to say, but should be interesting.

Fam played a lot better tonight, seems to be settling in, but still making stray passes.  Was winning and holding the ball a bit better though.

Steele looked like a decent stopper.

With Korey, Bobby and Joe on the bench, Eros still injured and Patto rested, I wondered how seriously we were taking this game. Wow, how wrong I was.

We still have Milan to come back as well .

5 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Their forums are a barrel of laughs this morning........Beaten by f*****g Bristol f*****g City f*****g reserves.  They made 9 changes for christ sake, etc.

Not very complimentary about Charlie Adam either, though he looked unfit and had to resort to fouling every time a city player left him for dead.

Adam was absolutely dire 

Only good thing about his performance (from their perspective) was his corners, and that he was taken off before he was sent off!

1 hour ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

It wasn't mine,  I couldn't get it started, because it's raining here again and has done for most of this month.  Just like living in the UK again. Once again congratulations to the lads and LJ for getting it right again last night,  hope we land a big Prem club at home or possibly Spurs at Wembley. COYR's!!!!!!

We have a 50% win record at the new Wembley. Surely better than Spurs record there?

Certainly think Hegeler at the back made a fine difference, in terms of ball circulation.

Whole team were great, but he's the best of centre backs technically- having that option behind relieves pressure from the midfield. Maybe Hegeler will be better for some games v the more technical sides and 2 or Wright and Flint or Baker vs lots of other sides.

What a great set of options though. Versatile, switching formation, depth...

Archived