IGNORED

The new goalkeeper

GrahamC

10 hours ago, Eastred said:

Have you not seen the number of times Frankie kicks the ball straight out of play? Or how often he has to take a second touch from a back pass? His distribution is the weakest point of his game...

As I said it’s the tactics.  He is asked to hit it wide by LJ (and Cotts).  As @Monkeh says it’s better to hit it long than short.  If he was aiming down the middle and hit it into touch, i’d be worried.  He’s asked to hit a small target (high risk of completion), but much lower risk than dropping it short, hitting it in field and giving possession away.  Personally I don’t like the tactic, but I get it.

Weakest part of his game?  It’s relative....against his outfield colleagues...yes.  Against other Championship keepers...no.  There are some absolute bombscares in the Champ off of their wrong foot, Frank isn’t one of them.

Quite a few of our outfield players take two touches to get it under! :whistle:

Seriously though, Frank is pretty decent with the ball at his feet in open play.  Yes, he’s cocked up on occasions, but tell be a keeper that hasn’t.  Van der Sar was the best, very few come close.

25 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Seriously though, Frank is pretty decent with the ball at his feet in open play. 

I have to say I just didn't feel that way until this season and was an advocate of getting someone into upgrade this area. A hangover of that is I still feel uncomfortable when he receives a pass back under pressure, but he hasn't let us down in that regard this season, so hopefully, my concerns will ease. It also shows (imo) that he is still working hard on developing and has improved that area of his game significantly. I am very happy with him as our No.1 now and I'm sure he'll continue to develop. A great pro and someone who has consistently upped their game.

14 minutes ago, RichardEdd said:

I have to say I just didn't feel that way until this season and was an advocate of getting someone into upgrade this area. A hangover of that is I still feel uncomfortable when he receives a pass back under pressure, but he hasn't let us down in that regard this season, so hopefully, my concerns will ease. It also shows (imo) that he is still working hard on developing and has improved that area of his game significantly. I am very happy with him as our No.1 now and I'm sure he'll continue to develop. A great pro and someone who has consistently upped their game.

@Eastred I agree he’s not perfect, but he’s also coming into his prime.  Best years ahead of him.  I would also upgrade him, but getting a significantly better keeper at a sensible price is tough.  Really happy with him and Steele

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

@Eastred I agree he’s not perfect, but he’s also coming into his prime.  Best years ahead of him.  I would also upgrade him, but getting a significantly better keeper at a sensible price is tough.  Really happy with him and Steele

He's seen off other goalies and I think that he will probably keep his place, baring injuries. I was impressed with Steele against Stoke 

Fielding to keep his place for now. If/when form drops and maybe results go against us, then maybe reintroduce Steele, but for now you don't drop an in form player. Let's also not forget that when we've changed it around before, the defence starts to look a bit shaky, as their confidence drops as they're suddenly not used to the man behind them.

By all means play Steele in the cup games, to give him time so that he's ready when needed, but let's not start chopping and changing the side again. Competition for places is what's needed, and this is what's needed in goal. Fielding knows that if he messes up, chances are he will lose his spot, and that he has to fight to win it back again.

The worse time in my recent memory for goalkeepers at the club was during the Wilson years with Steve Philips. Good shot stopper but his all round game wasn't the best (albeit good for that level). He never had any competition for his place until we signed Basso. We all know how that went from there......

If Steele is the better goalkeeper, then eventually he will come into the side and claim the spot. 

I always get a bit nervy about Frankie. Don't get me wrong his shot stopping is immense and we would certainly have a lower points tally thus far if not for him.

There's just something about him that makes me nervous, lack of composure maybe?

He certainly hasn't done anything wrong to warrant losing his place yet but it's good to know we have what looks like a more than able back-up should he be called upon. Two very professional 'keepers who i'm glad are at the Club.

8 minutes ago, KingLear said:

I always get a bit nervy about Frankie. Don't get me wrong his shot stopping is immense and we would certainly have a lower points tally thus far if not for him.

There's just something about him that makes me nervous, lack of composure maybe?

He certainly hasn't done anything wrong to warrant losing his place yet but it's good to know we have what looks like a more than able back-up should he be called upon. Two very professional 'keepers who i'm glad are at the Club.

For me it's when he kicks the ball and either knocks it out for a throw in or straight to an opposition player

8 minutes ago, KingLear said:

Agreed.

As an aside , view your Poster name , you must have , privately, been a fan of JET. 

Archived