IGNORED

We Ain't Got A First Team !

slartibartfast

It's testament to the way the squad are coached that players are interchangeable, but the way we play stays similar. Doubt the mgt team will get the credit for it, but it's true.

Also, our fitness and conditioning is excellent. Our lads don't stop running for 90 minutes. It's been the difference this season.

Exactly what I felt after a Watford away. There seems to be so little difference to what may be the "first choice" and those pressing hard for selection. As has been said the team spirit is such that everyone seems genuinely behind each other which is is brilliant. So many selection issues for LJ etc to have. 

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Competition for places should reduce the chances of a bad run too. Everyone has to maintain form or they will be replaced. The players know and seem to have bought into this.

LJ said at Q&A that pre season he sat down and had a meeting with a squad of 25/26 players and talked about them all being first team players and operating as one big team / squad 

:thumbsup:

In the past I was very critical that we basically had a first 11 and not much after that. My thoughts were these 11 were not being pushed for their places and in training they were basically playing the youth team so come match day we would be used to playing against the better players.

Now every single day each player is being pushed to his limits and coming up against quality players in training.

9 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

LJ said at Q&A that pre season he sat down and had a meeting with a squad of 25/26 players and talked about them all being first team players and operating as one big team / squad 

:thumbsup:

If you can get a squad to buy into this philosophy then you're onto a winner, all for one and one for all mentality. 

5 minutes ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

The intensity we play we need players ready to slot in if we have players fatigued or not 100% what's even more pleasing we have Yong players who are arguably championship standard ready to slot in as well

oh! no not another Chinese takeover!

2 minutes ago, hodge said:

If you can get a squad to buy into this philosophy then you're onto a winner, all for one and one for all mentality. 

He raised an interesting point that with a young squad it's great because they're all chomping at the bit to play but that itself can cause it's own issues ( He didn't day it had / did , but could) Made the point that sometimes older players aren't that bothered if they aren't playing but picking up their money and was quite impactive as he then paused and said 'But that's what we DONT want here'

:clap:

This is indeed what it's all about (said the same on another thread) Teams will be selected based on the type of opposition, form, who played Tuesday if it's a Saturday, who is carrying little injuries, who would be the best fit against a particular opposition player etc etc... and players accepting they are not dropped if they are not involved.

I think it's a great philosophy.

LJ said in his post match interview on Saturday on Radio Brizzle that the team to face Stoke had already been selected well before the Derby game, so there you have it in operation.

That's four strikers on the score sheet in the last two games! Two GK's looking good. 3 decent LB's (one of the arguably the best in the division). 4 quality CB's for this level 5 if you include Hegeler. 4 good wide players, Ellison showing signs of adapting, COD playing out of his skin, Pats creating countless chances and working his socks off, Leko literally terrifying defenses.  Brownhill looking great in midfield, pack stepping up today, Smith offering cover and O'niel hopefully to get fully fit + Hegeler who can play there too. 

There are players who are giving everything when they get their chance and the only thing stopping them get in the 1st team regularly is the fact there is someone already there giving everything! You could make a good case for so many players to be in the starting line, long may it continue.

6 hours ago, WesM said:

It's testament to the way the squad are coached that players are interchangeable, but the way we play stays similar. Doubt the mgt team will get the credit for it, but it's true.

Also, our fitness and conditioning is excellent. Our lads don't stop running for 90 minutes. It's been the difference this season.

Also our under 23s, 18s and below , are being coached in this way , so they can slot into the first team.  

Who is the second string though ?

How do you pick a starting XI for Saturday without annoying a few or do we think we are going to be a team that changes 3 or 4 every game to keep everybody fresh and fairly regularly playing?

LJ must be so excited by what he is seeing in training and during games but I bet he is not sleeping well !!

I opened this thread thinking oh god what now another moan. 

I think it's great we have 2 players for all the positions, and good ones at that. 

As already said it's makes the players have to up their game for selection and also means we don't rely on individuals in places.

A winning team ! And getting results. 

26 minutes ago, Just8 said:

Have to say one of the players I was most impressed with last night was hegeler. We all know he's pretty handy on the ball but last night he dispossessed several stoke players with so much ease it was a joy to watch.

Oh absolutely.  Class act on his day.  Accurate, calm, everything with precision.;)

Vorsprung Durch Technik  

Was thinking the same, especially with our striking options, and still we have Đurić....having depth in any squad is paramount and we do. LJ has assembled a squad of young talented players that I don't think we have ever had before, actually never had before, we can certainly be where it matters by May...

Dare to dream.

Archived