IGNORED

last night's crowd/lack of crowd

Littlesh*t

28 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The crowd last night of 13,826 was very good.

There was 6,600 at Palace v Huddersfield, an all-Premier League tie.

11,000 at Villa v Boro

11,800 at Burnley v Leeds

8,700 at Reading v Swansea etc etc

I think, in comparison to some other (interesting) attendances listed there, just shy of 14,000 was a pretty good showing. 

I very, very rarely miss a home game, but with my 3 year old now at pre-school, I simply can't keep him out until 10.30pm on a school night. 

1 minute ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Which people?

I never hear City fans refer to ourselves as 'sleeping giants'.

Ive heard TV pundits and other clubs fans call us Sleeping Giants. 

We've never been giants so we can't be sleeping giants. We do however have a huge amount of potential and good fanbase that would fill AG in the Prem if we were ever lucky enough to get there.

I have heard plenty of city fans say it as well. I agree that we what you say that we have a lot of potential.

you say we would fill the gate but people have already stated that it wasn't man u,man city, Liverpool,arsenal,Chelsea or Tottenham so would we?

there are a lot smaller sides than stoke in the prem but people are dismissing them

6 minutes ago, Littlesh*t said:

I think attendances were poor across all the club's in the competition but I couldn't give 2 shits about any other side and this I a BRISTOL CITY FORUM. 

my personal view is it's sad that football has got to the stage where fans and clubs think they are above the competition.

I know it's a City forum mate but I think the point is that if you look at other attendances you get an impression of how important this competition is to fans in general. Like the JPT you're going to get lower crowds for earlier rounds but as soon as you get a sniff of Wembley everyone wants a ticket.

It doesn't make our attendance last night poor, it was better than most.

7 minutes ago, Littlesh*t said:

I stand by the fact that I believe our crowd was poor in relation to the pricing the same as I think it was poor across the country. 

As with last season, the next round will see an increase in interest. 

What did we get Vs Hull? 16/17k..?

At 4th round stage you are getting close to potentially massive fixtures. 

3 minutes ago, Littlesh*t said:

I have heard plenty of city fans say it as well. I agree that we what you say that we have a lot of potential.

you say we would fill the gate but people have already stated that it wasn't man u,man city, Liverpool,arsenal,Chelsea or Tottenham so would we?

there are a lot smaller sides than stoke in the prem but people are dismissing them

For a Premiership fixture against Stoke? Yes I think we would.

Last night was a league cup fixture. You can't compare the two.

3 minutes ago, Super said:

Crowd was more than i thought last night for this competition which is probably on its last legs.

A place in Europe for the winners means that this competition will last a good while yet. 

I actually think that something as simple as having a different sponsor every season/other season, doesn't help the image. Especially a brand that nobody has heard of. 

Would be so much better to not chase the money ALL the time and keep it as "The League Cup"

9 minutes ago, Littlesh*t said:

I stand by the fact that I believe our crowd was poor in relation to the pricing the same as I think it was poor across the country. 

So it's the competition then, isn't it?

It is sad but the league cup is roundly just not very exciting, shown by apathy up and down the country. Plus it's a Tuesday night, plus it's Stoke, and frankly the expectation both teams set up as close to a friendly game as it can be in lineups. 

And it came 3 days after a bring 2 mates for a tenner which did have a good turnout... so we learn pricing was effective for a Saturday league game, but a Tuesday night v Stoke in a pretty badly supported competition. I doubt SL is reading too much in to 13k.

Just now, Bar BS3 said:

A place in Europe for the winners means that this competition will last a good while yet. 

I actually think that something as simple as having a different sponsor every season/other season, doesn't help the image. Especially a brand that nobody has heard of. 

Would be so much better to not chase the money ALL the time and keep it as "The League Cup"

exactly this and also give it a champs league place instead of 4th place in the prem

3 minutes ago, Littlesh*t said:

exactly this and also give it a champs league place instead of 4th place in the prem

I couldn't disagree more!

Nobody but "The Champions" should qualify for the "Champions League"

Everyone one else should get a place in the Europa League.  

Maybe bring back the Cup winners cup if needs be. 

4 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Perhaps bring in a new/old fangled idea...straight knockout home and away from the off through to the semis.

Seems a great idea, surprised nobody has thought of it before. :whistle:

3 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

in deed, the champions league lost all meaning to me when 2nd, 3rd and 4th places got a spot,

there shouldn't be a qualifying phase, all euro leagues champions should qualify automatically,  it may mean TNS vs Arsenal but so be it, the money tose lesser clubs would make would strengthern their respective leagues which in the long term would be better for football as a whole.

47 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

The crowd last night of 13,826 was very good.

There was 6,600 at Palace v Huddersfield, an all-Premier League tie.

11,000 at Villa v Boro

11,800 at Burnley v Leeds

8,700 at Reading v Swansea etc etc

Don't let facts spoil a good whinge Kid! 

49 minutes ago, Littlesh*t said:

but surely we all support city so the main attraction is watching our team, lining up against a better quality team is just a bonus

49 minutes ago, Littlesh*t said:

but surely we all support city so the main attraction is watching our team, lining up against a better quality team is just a bonus

I have seen us play Stoke many times,home and away,I can't get excited about playing them in the League cup,league game I'd be there and be as excited as I am at every game I attend,which is every home game and a few away games.

Personally thought it was a very very good and very vocal turnout last night and we did ourselves proud both on and off the pitch. It was a cracking night of football. Anyone that thinks that teams like Stoke, WBA, Everton etc don't take this cup seriously are wrong. Maybe the big 4/5 don't but with a Euro spot at stake and little chance of silverware elsewhere this cup does still mean something. 

58 minutes ago, Littlesh*t said:

over the years it wouldn't have been but my personal view is city have moved forward from those figures and my main point is the pricing/attendance. as I stated before I think it was a big opportunity to show Lansdown that we would pack the gate every week if the pricing was lower. 

How much lower would you have liked?

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Thought the crowd was not too bad.

Know a few people who went owing to the lowered prices though. Would be interesting to know what % last night were non regulars.

I commented last night that I recognised very few who were sat around us!

Stoke would definitely be classed as one of those "No glamour, no chance" games. Much like Watford!

The fact we have won both ties has me scratching my head somewhat.

The League Cup is unlikely to ever be scrapped, I should think, but the lack of prize money means the teams that have a chance of winning it, generally, don't take it seriously until they're in the last 4 and using their strongest team in 2 games is unlikely to impact their Premier League earnings that much.

The FA Cup suffers from a similar issue - the winners of the FA Cup this season will get £1.8 Million*. To us, that is lovely but hardly vital (thanks to Benevolent Uncle Steve). To Premier League teams, it probably wouldn't even cover the performance bonus for actually winning the thing, but is nothing, nothing, compared to simply BEING in The Premier League, so all their effort and focus is upon retaining that. The FA Cup, at least, has a pedigree and history that makes it slightly more important.

It seems to be that until prize money for both competitions becomes relevant, teams won't take them seriously (despite the BBC's coverage desperately telling us otherwise) and until teams take it seriously fans won't take it seriously.

* Finishing 1 place higher in the Premier League that you would have done otherwise is a bonus of £2 Million (bottom gets £2M, 19th gets £4M and so on up the table). So finishing 1 place higher in The Premier League is more valuable, prize money wise, than winning the FA Cup. Mad.  

25 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

How much lower would you have liked?

I'm guessing you haven't read the whole post? 

i wasn't saying make it lower last night, I was saying because it was cheap last night it was a good opportunity to show that more fans would turn up if normal prices were slightly cheaper. like I say 20 is plenty

23 minutes ago, awbb said:

Stoke would definitely be classed as one of those "No glamour, no chance" games. Much like Watford!

The fact we have won both ties has me scratching my head somewhat.

The League Cup is unlikely to ever be scrapped, I should think, but the lack of prize money means the teams that have a chance of winning it, generally, don't take it seriously until they're in the last 4 and using their strongest team in 2 games is unlikely to impact their Premier League earnings that much.

The FA Cup suffers from a similar issue - the winners of the FA Cup this season will get £1.8 Million*. To us, that is lovely but hardly vital (thanks to Benevolent Uncle Steve). To Premier League teams, it probably wouldn't even cover the performance bonus for actually winning the thing, but is nothing, nothing, compared to simply BEING in The Premier League, so all their effort and focus is upon retaining that. The FA Cup, at least, has a pedigree and history that makes it slightly more important.

It seems to be that until prize money for both competitions becomes relevant, teams won't take them seriously (despite the BBC's coverage desperately telling us otherwise) and until teams take it seriously fans won't take it seriously.

* Finishing 1 place higher in the Premier League that you would have done otherwise is a bonus of £2 Million (bottom gets £2M, 19th gets £4M and so on up the table). So finishing 1 place higher in The Premier League is more valuable, prize money wise, than winning the FA Cup. Mad.  

How many tilsons is that?

Archived