IGNORED

Ok I got it wrong

Redmycolour

Even as a fan of Johnson's; I feel these type of threads that have been springing up are a bit hasty. 

Yes - there's a clear improvement in our recent form. The squad looks great, we're playing well and everything seems to be ticking along quite nicely.

It is only September though - plenty of time for things to go horribly wrong. I would suggest we enjoy the moment and hope it continues. I'm enjoying this season so far.

7 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Even as a fan of Johnson's; I feel these type of threads that have been springing up are a bit hasty. 

Yes - there's a clear improvement in our recent form. The squad looks great, we're playing well and everything seems to be ticking along quite nicely.

It is only September though - plenty of time for things to go horribly wrong. I would suggest we enjoy the moment and hope it continues. I'm enjoying this season so far.

As said elsewhere, lose one of the next 3 games and it becomes a worse start than last season.

It's far too early to say we've turned the corner........it just feels like we have at the moment.

4 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

As said elsewhere, lose one of the next 3 games and it becomes a worse start than last season.

It's far too early to say we've turned the corner........it just feels like we have at the moment.

I think the nature of our wins is more convincing than last season. We're  not overly reliant on a single player and have a squad that can play a variety of systems. Signs are good. 

As we both say, very early days still. Hard to maintain such amazing form over a season.

Think the style of our play and the convincing way we are playing mean the only way to look is up. When we can make 9 changes and win comfortably against a Premiership side the glass has to be well over half full. Sure things can turn but the squad looks strong and the players all committed to the style of play. Enjoy it!

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think the nature of our wins is more convincing than last season. We're  not overly reliant on a single player and have a squad that can play a variety of systems. Signs are good. 

As we both say, very early days still. Hard to maintain such amazing form over a season.

I totally agree. It's been fantastic of late and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. LJ and the team are doing a great job at the moment, and the promising thing for me is that results aren't flattering us in the way they were this time last season. 

However, it's very early days and there's bound to be a downturn in form at some point in a long season. How long that goes on for and how we react to it will determine what kind of season we end up having. 

I'm just enjoying the ride while things are going well, and hoping it continues for as long as possible. 

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yes, we look like a much improved team/squad than last season. I think our all-round skill level and fitness has improved, and we seem to be going forward more often.

I'm optimistic about avoiding relegation, and that in itself feels pretty good.

12 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

My main concern is how long the other clubs are going to take to work us out, but we do look unplayable at the moment.

We must have had 10 good chances last night.

Great question.  I think this is where LJ will prove if he has got what it takes.  If there is a Plan B in place we could really be in for an exciting season. If not........

47 minutes ago, redmycolour said:

Yes last season I wanted  Johnson Out.but fair play to him he's turned it around, I got it wrong,I even refused to join in "JOHNSON said bounce around the ground" I put my hands up.carry on with the good work Lee.I didn't go last night, but listening to the commentary I wish I did.

you haven't got it wrong at all, that run he deserved to be sacked and 99% of manager would of, it's early doors this season but we are playing good stuff, more attacking and plenty of positives, but it's still early doors,

Long may it continue thats all

Anyone else completely forget how good our start to last season was? We reached round 4 of the cup last season too! 

Thing is... if we can just about match last seasons start (by taking 6 or 7 points out of the next 3 - no mean feat) then we can be absolutely bang average for the next 20 games and still be knocking around midtable. I was astonished last season that we only managed to slip 1 point into the relegation zone after losing 14 out of 15! 

I've said on another thread that we could probably put out two starting elevens and get the same results. There is real togetherness in the squad, a willingness to work hard for your team mates and so much competition for a starting place that Johnson's biggest problem this year could be keeping everyone "up for it". 

I feel LJ has worked his way back to the point where he can lose a few games in a row without calls for the sack again. We're moving in the right direction and hopefully we can continue to perform well as the season goes onto. As noted the style of play is much better this year and gives confidence that we won't be struggling this year.

3 minutes ago, hodge said:

I feel LJ has worked his way back to the point where he can lose a few games in a row without calls for the sack again. We're moving in the right direction and hopefully we can continue to perform well as the season goes onto. As noted the style of play is much better this year and gives confidence that we won't be struggling this year.

I wish,

one defeat and they will be back

24 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

My main concern is how long the other clubs are going to take to work us out, but we do look unplayable at the moment.

We must have had 10 good chances last night.

You have highlighted our biggest failing at present. We are only scoring a poor number of our chances and this could come back to bite us badly if we don't improve in that respect. There were at least two or three clear cut opportunities to score more last night. Our failure to do so, tells me that we'll be mid table all season, but converting only a small percentage more in tight games could lead us to a real challenge for play-offs.

The margins are minute at this level. Go back to the Derby game.They scored a pen and hit the post before half time. If they had scored two, could we have come back to win? And again last night, if a Stoke header against the bar just before half time had gone in, what a different second half it would have been.

So far so good this season but let's keep both feet squarely on terra firma. 

11 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I've said on another thread that we could probably put out two starting elevens and get the same results. There is real togetherness in the squad, a willingness to work hard for your team mates and so much competition for a starting place that Johnson's biggest problem this year could be keeping everyone "up for it". 

I'm sure 22 of ours would beat any team of 11 :whistle:

Johnson has the intelligence to learn from a few of his mistakes last season the major one criticising individual players or leaving players out in the cold let's hope that continues. The handling of the Flint saga needs to be learnt from now. The football has improved immensely from not only last season but the Brum, Brentford and Millwall games just last month.

The promotion of Jamie McAllister has been key to the improvement in the defence and the fighting spirit shown, a very good appointment.

19 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

You have highlighted our biggest failing at present. We are only scoring a poor number of our chances and this could come back to bite us badly if we don't improve in that respect. There were at least two or three clear cut opportunities to score more last night. Our failure to do so, tells me that we'll be mid table all season, but converting only a small percentage more in tight games could lead us to a real challenge for play-offs.

The margins are minute at this level. Go back to the Derby game.They scored a pen and hit the post before half time. If they had scored two, could we have come back to win? And again last night, if a Stoke header against the bar just before half time had gone in, what a different second half it would have been.

So far so good this season but let's keep both feet squarely on terra firma. 

you can say that about every club/team thats ever existed 

39 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

you haven't got it wrong at all, that run he deserved to be sacked and 99% of manager would of, it's early doors this season but we are playing good stuff, more attacking and plenty of positives, but it's still early doors,

Long may it continue thats all

No club should sack a manager after 2 or 3 bad months, let alone 2 or 3 bad games. They should be more patient, if they thought he was sound when they appointed him. How long was Dicks in charge before we got promoted? Nine years?

However, football has obviously gone way beyond that common sense approach.

15 minutes ago, Leveller said:

No club should sack a manager after 2 or 3 bad months, let alone 2 or 3 bad games. They should be more patient, if they thought he was sound when they appointed him. How long was Dicks in charge before we got promoted? Nine years?

However, football has obviously gone way beyond that common sense approach.

it was the danger of relegation more then anything and there was a real danager of that, he deserved to be sacked and at any other club he prob would of, you  can't deny that

11 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

it was the danger of relegation more then anything and there was a real danager of that, he deserved to be sacked and at any other club he prob would of, you  can't deny that

I can deny it, because of his performance prior to that. I was concerned, but at no point did I think it made sense to sack him. I thought the poor spell would end and it did.

4 minutes ago, Leveller said:

I can deny it, because of his performance prior to that. I was concerned, but at no point did I think it made sense to sack him. I thought the poor spell would end and it did.

I think when he beat the record losing streak then he deserved it, or after the Preston result ie right after it, much like Tinman after the swansea result 

I think other clubs may continue to struggle to work us out, as we have the personal to play 'on the ground, quick interchanging football', or we can mix it up by playing direct if needed too. 

Our squad is such that we have the players now to change formations seamlessly during a game, which can then stifle all the hard work opposing managers would have done on us during the week.

We really do have many options with the players we have, which is very exciting indeed.

6 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

I think when he beat the record losing streak then he deserved it, or after the Preston result ie right after it, much like Tinman after the swansea result 

I think we can distinguish between "deserved" and "made sense". You could certainly have justified sacking him based on the record in the previous few months, but I didn't think it would be sensible as I thought things were more likely to turn round with him in charge than by another disruptive regime change.

4 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

3 hours ago, phantom said:

The lingering thought in the back of my mind was how badly wrong it turned last season, we need to ensure that doesn't happen again

These are valid thoughts and comments.

If we think back to last season, it just went pear shaped - 8 losses on the trot, it's difficult to top that and was damned distressing for most City fans.

But, if we look at how the team was set up, too much reliance was placed on individuals (I'm not going to speculate on what was going on in the background e.g. Tomlin and JP). I just can't say that's the case this time round, there seems to be a more balanced approach with less meddling (last nights game was EFL, I'd expect wholesale changes to the team).

I'm quietly confident that we can put last season behind us.

3 minutes ago, bcfcfinker said:

These are valid thoughts and comments.

If we think back to last season, it just went pear shaped - 8 losses on the trot, it's difficult to top that and was damned distressing for most City fans.

But, if we look at how the team was set up, too much reliance was placed on individuals (I'm not going to speculate on what was going on in the background e.g. Tomlin and JP). I just can't say that's the case this time round, there seems to be a more balanced approach with less meddling (last nights game was EFL, I'd expect wholesale changes to the team).

I'm quietly confident that we can put last season behind us.

the one thing I've noticed, there is a real togetherness about the squad, all working hard for each other and looks like they are enjoying themselves in training too,

that amazes me because all the ITK's told us about the massive disharmony in the squad and how everyone wanted to leave and nobody wanted to work with johnson,

Archived