IGNORED

Peter Crouch

Blazeyrobins

3 minutes ago, Blazeyrobins said:

Was it me but did our own fans give Crouch a better reception when he came off than the Stoke fans?

What a great team display though long may it continue.

I thought just that, don't get why he was applauded, guess he is a 'legend' to many but he is still an opposition player who did nothing all night...

6 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

I thought just that, don't get why he was applauded, guess he is a 'legend' to many but he is still an opposition player who did nothing all night...

good pro, was good for England and always played with a smile on his face and fairly (for the most part) worthy of a clap imo

3 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

good pro, was good for England and always played with a smile on his face and fairly (for the most part) worthy of a clap imo

Fair enough, have only ever applauded opposition players if they've had a blinder but guess he's done a lot for the game.

Will never forgive him for that handball v Pompey in the cup though :fear:

9 minutes ago, Cider-Head23 said:

Crouchy has earnt a huge amount of respect from English football fans in general. 

It's clear that he's a top bloke as well as a top player, so a round of applause for such bloke is fair enough.

I'd imagine it would have been different if we were losing and he'd scored against us. 

Yeah I gave him a clap for exactly that reason. He seems a bit of a dying breed. He's the antipathy of the 'modern day footballer', has had a great career, is funny and self deprecating and was great for England whenever called upon. Seemed the right thing to do at the time! I did get a few strange looks though but sod it! 

Quite a few in the Landsdown clapped him off , myself included, always admired him as a footballer wherever he's played. Decent for England . His Mrs is bangtidy so all in all in my eyes deserved it . Maybe this will be unpopular on here but I applaud good goals from any opposition and good play in general on both sides . 

45 minutes ago, BS15_RED said:

I remember Dion Dublin getting a similar ovation when coming off for Norwich at the Gate, back in 2008 I think? Just acknowledging a good pro, who's had a really good career I reckon.

I remember that. 

He looked really surprised at the ovation he got. 

Quality servants of the national team who also seem like a decent guy should always get respected and that is what it was.

Not sure it would have happened if we were losing but on a high, happy etc - I joined in - massive respect for him and his lovely wife

Yep, I clapped him off too. He's had a good career, taken loads of stick for his gangly appearance and laughed it all off. Seems like a decent guy, and he had me in stitches when he did the robot. 

Nothing wrong with showing respect to an opposition player if they've earnt it. Top bloke is Crouch.

Crouch has earnt respect through the years on and off the pitch, he is one of those players that people seem to have a lot of time for. The difference between him and Charlie Adam was on display last night. Crouch is one of those players that people seem to have respect for, always gave 100% for England, at least we didn't see the robot last night! 

Archived