Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

RedRoss

The story of Bristol City’s three relegations in 747 days

Thought I'd share this article I have found..

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2017/09/20/the-story-of-bristol-citys-three-relegations-in-747-days/

Although this is way before my time I do enjoy reading about the clubs trials and tribulations and I am happy we came through this difficult period in our history.

Also got me thinking - What's the best book to cover our history in depth? I may have to purchase one.

Edited by RedRoss
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Good article that, very interesting. Need some kind of tribute to Terry Cooper at AG.

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2017/09/20/the-story-of-bristol-citys-three-relegations-in-747-days/

Although this is way before my time I do enjoy reading about the clubs trials and tribulations and I am happy we came through this difficult period in our history.

Also got me thinking - What's the best book to cover our history in depth? I may have to purchase one.

all the younger posters on here, just remember when we have lost a few games  it's not the end of the world, 3 consecutive relegations to end up at the bottom of the whole league, now that did feel like the end of the world, hope to god I never have to live through that again.

• Like 15

28 minutes ago, pillred said:

all the younger posters on here, just remember when we have lost a few games  it's not the end of the world, 3 consecutive relegations to end up at the bottom of the whole league, now that did feel like the end of the world, hope to god I never have to live through that again.

at least we never suffered the embarrassment of dropping out the entire football league after celebrating staying up the week prior 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

this should be pinned, and anyone complaining about how bad it is on and off the field should be forced to read that and realize how lucky we are to still have a club

• Like 11

1 hour ago, RedRoss said:

For those of you who weren't around at the time I will tell a joke that just about summed up our rapid decline. For those who were around at the time, forgive me for repeating it here. Just to provide some background information, the Conference was called the Alliance in those days.

The joke was told not long before the 1982 biz, when we were struggling at the foot of DIv 3, having been relegated the season prior from Div 2 and the season before that from Div 1.

Clive Whitehead was walking through town one day when someone knocked him over the head. He slumped to the ground unconscious. Some passers by carried him into the nearby Alliance Building Society. When Whitehead eventually came round he asked where he was.

'You're in the Alliance,' came the reply.

'Jeez, what happened to Division Four!' Whitehead responded.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

20 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

this should be pinned, and anyone complaining about how bad it is on and off the field should be forced to read that and realize how lucky we are to still have a club

Many fans donated their wages ... It was a lesson to focus on what goes on off the pitch.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RedRoss said:

Thank you very much for sharing .

One or two myths put to bed as well ! 

Many of us went through these times with the club and what we see now makes it all worthwhile.

When some of us panic over results just remember the pain we suffered before you jump on our posts ( not a euphemism ! ) 

• Like 4

Wolves have since followed our example of three consecutive relegations. Swansea tried following suit. 1981 promoted to Div 1; 1986 they were relegated to Div 4.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

He was wrong about the Newport game..........it was announced before that match! That's why we all went over thinking it was our LAST game !

I didn't go to Newport, but went to Villa and Fulham either side of that.
#GloryHunting

26 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

He was wrong about the Newport game..........it was announced before that match! That's why we all went over thinking it was our LAST game !

In February 1982, what was expected to be the club's final game was at Newport County. Hordes of programme collectors descended to buy a copy of what would become a collector's item. The national T.V. news  showed the equaliser in the 1-1 draw and commentators asked "Will this be Bristol City's last goal?"

34 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Probably the most gloomy period in our history - dark days indeed!

Its hard to imagine how people can get a club into such a perilous state - wadd'ya say Mr Redknapp?

he only spends what the board gives him

2 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Probably the most gloomy period in our history - dark days indeed!

Its hard to imagine how people can get a club into such a perilous state - wadd'ya say Mr Redknapp?

It was indeed gloomy but we had the perfect antidote - Terry Cooper as manager. He achieved miracles on a pittance and managed to inject a feeling of optimism. Although it was division 4, everyone felt confident that the only way was up with him as manager.  

• Like 7

I can remember being on holiday in Corfu picking up a paper and reading City had been beaten 7-0 by Northampton. They were then bottom of the football league I think. Those were the days!

2 hours ago, archie andrews said:

remember us being bottom at xmas 82 then winning at Hereford 3-1 boxing day iirc.......that was the turning point

Remember a lot of the Park End in fancy dress at that game. Pretty sure one of them got chucked out of one of their stands whilst dressed as a nun.

Surreal and in every way just another world from where we are now.

They were the worst of times and then the best of times - FA Cup at IKEA, promotion and then the Freight Rover at Wembley. Funny how that era sticks in my mind more than the first division days ?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, handsofclay said:

For those of you who weren't around at the time I will tell a joke that just about summed up our rapid decline. For those who were around at the time, forgive me for repeating it here. Just to provide some background information, the Conference was called the Alliance in those days.

The joke was told not long before the 1982 biz, when we were struggling at the foot of DIv 3, having been relegated the season prior from Div 2 and the season before that from Div 1.

Clive Whitehead was walking through town one day when someone knocked him over the head. He slumped to the ground unconscious. Some passers by carried him into the nearby Alliance Building Society. When Whitehead eventually came round he asked where he was.

'You're in the Alliance,' came the reply.

'Jeez, what happened to Division Four!' Whitehead responded.

Clive Witehead was playing for West Brom when we were bottom of Div 3! Just saying. 

54 minutes ago, swanker said:

I can remember being on holiday in Corfu picking up a paper and reading City had been beaten 7-0 by Northampton. They were then bottom of the football league I think. Those were the days!

At least you're not claiming to be there. I reckon we took 37000 if all the I woz there stories are true. :laugh:. 

I reckon I can tell from who posts here who might have been. 

Love to see those who saw that like this post !!!!

• Like 2

Before my times but from what I've read, heard about it, the piece seems a very accurate one.

@miser Have a theory on that. Perhaps as you knew that in those dark days everyone was pure and total City.

No hangers on, no glory supporters. Those at the bottom and those fans who put their own cash in- they were the lifeblood.

As well as AG8, and the board- that few thousand hardcore...no them, no City today IMO.

Those fans who put the cash in- during a large recession too- they frankly should be honoured in some way. Perhaps a bar named after them?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Before my times but from what I've read, heard about it, the piece seems a very accurate one.

@miser Have a theory on that. Perhaps as you knew that in those dark days everyone was pure and total City.

No hangers on, no glory supporters. Those at the bottom and those fans who put their own cash in- they were the lifeblood.

As well as AG8, and the board- that few thousand hardcore...no them, no City today IMO.

Those fans who put the cash in- during a large recession too- they frankly should be honoured in some way. Perhaps a bar named after them?

Don't knock the hangers on - we were all hanging on for dear life in those days ! 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, swanker said:

7-1, Swanker. Let's have it right. We might've been s**** back then, but not that s****. 

20 hours ago, Monkeh said:

8 minutes ago, Chappers said:

I was at Northampton, and at Crewe for a 4-1 defeat. Dark times, but memorable and made me appreciate still having a club to support

I understand why these sentiments exist and you say these things, but how many clubs able to attract 15k to 20k crowds have ever disappeared, never to be seen again? Thinking like this held us back in the mid 80s and onwards, imho. I don't think for a minute SL thinks like this, not even last season. Indeed, from what he has said, he thought many similar thoughts to those "moaning" on here - ie, this is not good enough, we should be doing better.

He just had different thoughts about how to go about making it better - ie, get rid of poison like Tomlin; improve the recruitment, etc - and thank goodness it looks like we are getting there.

30 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

I understand why these sentiments exist and you say these things, but how many clubs able to attract 15k to 20k crowds have ever disappeared, never to be seen again? Thinking like this held us back in the mid 80s and onwards, imho. I don't think for a minute SL thinks like this, not even last season. Indeed, from what he has said, he thought many similar thoughts to those "moaning" on here - ie, this is not good enough, we should be doing better.

He just had different thoughts about how to go about making it better - ie, get rid of poison like Tomlin; improve the recruitment, etc - and thank goodness it looks like we are getting there.

I'm not just talking about on field things Jack, I'm talking about those who want LAnsdown gone, those who think we should be breaking the bank chasing the dream of the prem, those who think after 3 defeats that the club is going no where 

• Like 3

It makes fascinating historical reading even for those of us who lived through it.

There's something about Bristol City FC. I do think we support an almost uniquely fascinating club, not particularly successful of course, but never boring.

I'm proud to have supported the club, home and away, both in the 1st division, and throughout the years of decline.

I look back on those years as truly memorable times to support the club, despite how much we suffered as fans.

COYR's :city:

• Like 10

On 20/09/2017 at 12:21, RedRoss said:

Being born in 83 I (thankfully) missed this period of the clubs history but heard my dad speak about it many times. Reading that i now understand just what went on. Unbelievable really. Also makes you appreciate now just that bit more doesn't it.

The worst of times, the best of times.

Fantastic memory of the great Terry Cooper celebrating away at Chester with us fans.  My daughter, then a very small child, waved enthusiastically at Terry who waved back equally enthusiastically.  It really did feel we were all in it together that long ago Saturday afternoon in The North West.

COYR

• Like 3

On 9/20/2017 at 13:22, myol'man said:

Very honest and accurate report of the slide

21 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

I also feel he is a wrong about the long term contracts being the sole reason for our financial difficulties. I had an uncle who was associated with the club at that time and he said that a lot of the directors were milking the club for what they could get. Going to "THE BIG CLUBS"  and seeing the hospitality that was afforded them, they wanted to get the same treatment for themselves and their associates. Ridiculous amounts of money were spent on pre match lunches etc, and facilities at the club were expected to be offered free of charge, meaning that chances of commercial income were reduced.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I also feel he is a wrong about the long term contracts being the sole reason for our financial difficulties. I had an uncle who was associated with the club at that time and he said that a lot of the directors were milking the club for what they could get. Going to "THE BIG CLUBS"  and seeing the hospitality that was afforded them, they wanted to get the same treatment for themselves and their associates. Ridiculous amounts of money were spent on pre match lunches etc, and facilities at the club were expected to be offered free of charge, meaning that chances of commercial income were reduced.

So it all comes down to pies . 

39 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Absolutely this ! That shyster Stephen Kew and to a certain extent Houghton ripped off the club.

Big meals at the best restaurants, Houghton's expensive Havana cigars all bought on the club's expense account. Not saying that was the only reason but went a long way toward it !

7 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

7-1, Swanker. Let's have it right. We might've been s**** back then, but not that s****. 

Quite pleased I was there now 

Wasn't so sure at the time - desperate times

5 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

The worst of times, the best of times.

Fantastic memory of the great Terry Cooper celebrating away at Chester with us fans.  My daughter, then a very small child, waved enthusiastically at Terry who waved back equally enthusiastically.  It really did feel we were all in it together that long ago Saturday afternoon in The North West.

COYR

could have sworn chester was a Monday?

21 hours ago, swanker said:

No, it was 7-1. I was there with my wife and when Glyn Riley scored to make it 5-1, I jumped up in the stand and was promptly told to sit down by "her indoors".

I bought shares for £80 when I only had £89 in the savings. Again incurred the wrath of her ...... and I replied that if it helped save the club I had supported since I was six years old, that would mean that the young kids of tomorrow would still have a City team to follow.

Some of us did what SL will never do. Many, over 2,000 of us bought shares, put in everything we had. That is not a criticism of SL but just a reminder to those who have joined since then, how much this club meant to us and for me it still does.

So, younger ones, maybe now you will understand how scared we were last season from October until March that we were spiralling out of control in the same way that we went from 8th in Division One in October 1959 to 92nd in the Football League in December 1982.

City for 68 years and City 'til I die.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Absolutely this ! That shyster Stephen Kew and to a certain extent Houghton ripped off the club.

Big meals at the best restaurants, Houghton's expensive Havana cigars all bought on the club's expense account. Not saying that was the only reason but went a long way toward it !

And the big stache of expensive wine found at the Gate after Houghton was sacked.

I'll add this to my previous post. AD is in many ways, the best manager of my time, getting a team of mostly home bred boys, to the First Division and keeping us there for four years.

But his over the top reaction to Collier leaving was one of the major factors in "the 1982" saga. Plus of course, the obvious fiddling of income by too many on the board and senior admin. A gate of 36,000 against Man U declared as 27,000 is just one of many examples.

So, because he worked so hard in every way to save the club after the bankruptcy, Terry Cooper is my choice as the greatest manager of my lifetime. An absolutely top City legend.

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I'll add this to my previous post. AD is in many ways, the best manager of my time, getting a team of mostly home bred boys, to the First Division and keeping us there for four years.

But his over the top reaction to Collier leaving was one of the major factors in "the 1982" saga. Plus of course, the obvious fiddling of income by too many on the board and senior admin. A gate of 36,000 against Man U declared as 27,000 is just one of many examples.

So, because he worked so hard in every way to save the club after the bankruptcy, Terry Cooper is my choice as the greatest manager of my lifetime. An absolutely top City legend.

Well said, Dicks achievements were simple outstanding. The Collier situation was certainly the catalyst for the downfall. Still good to recall the TC days, in particular I still savour our FA Cup win at Eastville when Rovers were in the division above and they went 1 up before we came back to win 1-2 with a late Martyn Hirst goal (a student at the time I recall)...https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwixhdjRkbfWAhXFBcAKHR4gBFgQtwIILTAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D-rxBCAc8Ck0&usg=AFQjCNF_foxRzmJLm6pKUA0WBAhyCcI3wA

• Like 2

On ‎20‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 20:20, archie andrews said:

remember us being bottom at xmas 82 then winning at Hereford 3-1 boxing day iirc.......that was the turning point

remember this just don't think it was boxing day. it was a night match between christmas and new year, remember parking up and we were parked next to the ref one of our van load said if we don't win we know where your car is. Happy days like you say that was the turning point.

13 minutes ago, robofwells said:

remember this just don't think it was boxing day. it was a night match between christmas and new year, remember parking up and we were parked next to the ref one of our van load said if we don't win we know where your car is. Happy days like you say that was the turning point.

Tuesday 28th December - fancy dress, newt eating and a great night !

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

No, it was 7-1. I was there with my wife and when Glyn Riley scored to make it 5-1, I jumped up in the stand and was promptly told to sit down by "her indoors".

I bought shares for £80 when I only had £89 in the savings. Again incurred the wrath of her ...... and I replied that if it helped save the club I had supported since I was six years old, that would mean that the young kids of tomorrow would still have a City team to follow.

Some of us did what SL will never do. Many, over 2,000 of us bought shares, put in everything we had. That is not a criticism of SL but just a reminder to those who have joined since then, how much this club meant to us and for me it still does.

So, younger ones, maybe now you will understand how scared we were last season from October until March that we were spiralling out of control in the same way that we went from 8th in Division One in October 1959 to 92nd in the Football League in December 1982.

City for 68 years and City 'til I die.

This makes you a proper City legend imo. Full marks, top man. 

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 17:46, slartibartfast said:

remember standing on that sandpit of a terrace thinking god what a dump to be playing our last game, the atmosphere was incredible that day though really thought we would never all meet up again, said goodbye to a lot of people that day not expecting to see them again, thank god for the ashton gate eight heroes every one.