IGNORED

Palace at Home

Never to the dark side

Not a terribly inspiring tie, once again.

On the other hand it's winnable...definitely winnable! At least as much as the Stoke game.

So, I have mixed views about this one.

In terms of excellent ties? The Boro one was not bad, thinking 06/07 season. West Ham in the Cotts season we put up a good show but lost narrowly, undeserved. Man City under GJ, again played OK.

However in my time, biggest I recall was Everton 04. They started season excellent and fielded a decent side.

Finished 4th that year- we had just lost 4-1 at Bradford and had a tough start to season. Tinman's first season...I still well remember the Phillips triple save.

Generally though, the current big 6? Tie vs one of them well overdue! Maybe an honourable exit to one in the QF?

I checked and yes, we did beat them last time we played in them in this cup.

Bobby Reid laid on the winner for Wagstaff too so hopefully a good omen.

Also in the match report it said they hadn't won at our place for 34 years. Well I'm fairly certain we haven't crossed swords since so make that 38 years now.

5 minutes ago, nickolas said:

This is just what i love about the big headed PL boys. Very naive and misinformed fools. Thinking a reserve team can just turn up and win. Good luck with that one!

Quarter Final home to Chelski coming up........:clapping:

Just for the record, the team Stoke put out last night wasn't picked out of arrogance or believing a reserve side could just turn up and turn over a Championship side.

Of the six changes we made last night, we had Grant (last season's player of the year), Johnson (picked in the England squad in the past 12 months), Tymon (our man of the match in the last round), Ramadan (a massive fans favourite), Charlie Adam (admittedly his legs have gone), and Crouch (who generally bags a few in this kind of game). 

It was more an exercise in giving very good players who'd not recently been in the first team a game to keep them match fit. It didn't work, but make no mistake, Hughes wanted to win that match. It wasn't what you could call a reserve side by any stretch.

19 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not a terribly inspiring tie, once again.

On the other hand it's winnable...definitely winnable! At least as much as the Stoke game.

So, I have mixed views about this one.

In terms of excellent ties? The Boro one was not bad, thinking 06/07 season. West Ham in the Cotts season we put up a good show but lost narrowly, undeserved. Man City under GJ, again played OK.

However in my time, biggest I recall was Everton 04. They started season excellent and fielded a decent side.

Finished 4th that year- we had just lost 4-1 at Bradford and had a tough start to season. Tinman's first season...I still well remember the Phillips triple save.

Generally though, the current big 6? Tie vs one of them well overdue! Maybe an honourable exit to one in the QF?

We absolutely battered Everton in the FA Cup in 95 but ended up losing 1-0 late, they went on to win it that year. Put up a decent showing against them in 99 too, again losing to two late goals, Bakayoko getting both.

5 minutes ago, Dreamkiller said:

Just for the record, the team Stoke put out last night wasn't picked out of arrogance or believing a reserve side could just turn up and turn over a Championship side.

Of the six changes we made last night, we had Grant (last season's player of the year), Johnson (picked in the England squad in the past 12 months), Tymon (our man of the match in the last round), Ramadan (a massive fans favourite), Charlie Adam (admittedly his legs have gone), and Crouch (who generally bags a few in this kind of game). 

It was more an exercise in giving very good players who'd not recently been in the first team a game to keep them match fit. It didn't work, but make no mistake, Hughes wanted to win that match. It wasn't what you could call a reserve side by any stretch.

In fairness fella, i think that comment was aimed more directly back at Palace forum making mention of not wanting to play any first teamers, rather than you, even though PL was mentioned. It won't have gone un-noticed that Crouchy, Adam, Johnson and Grant have all played PL football, hardly second string.

Palace underestimate us at their peril.

5 minutes ago, Dreamkiller said:

Think we made more changes then Stoke did tbf. Steele, Vyner, Hegeler, Mags, Eliasson, O'Dowda and Taylor all started but don't have a huge amount of minutes between them. Think it's what exciting about our squad. There isn't much between 1-20 talent wise. Just different levels of experience and most are young and getting better. 

From the Palace forum ...

Dan1994  Wallington Today 10.32pm 

My missus and her family are Rovers supporters, and I've been to a few of theirs myself. Safe to say I don't like City because of it!

I will definitely be there as it's in my holiday, and I'll be sure to bring a few with me. Let's make it a solid turn out.

Intruder Alert! 15'ers in the away end (provided someone can sub them £12 each).

3 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Think we made more changes then Stoke did tbf. Steele, Vyner, Hegeler, Mags, Eliasson, O'Dowda and Taylor all started but don't have a huge amount of minutes between them. Think it's what exciting about our squad. There isn't much between 1-20 talent wise. Just different levels of experience and most are young and getting better. 

And it's massive credit to your club that you did what you did. Your manager is either bat@#!% crazy or he knows he's sitting on a very talented squad. I wasn't trying to labour the point that we'd made changes, I was making the opposite point that the changes we made were all experienced or talented players who we wouldn't particularly be surprised to see in the team for a Premier League match. 

5 minutes ago, BanburyRed said:

In fairness fella, i think that comment was aimed more directly back at Palace forum making mention of not wanting to play any first teamers, rather than you, even though PL was mentioned. It won't have gone un-noticed that Crouchy, Adam, Johnson and Grant have all played PL football, hardly second string.

Palace underestimate us at their peril.

Yeah, I appreciate that. I hope they do underestimate you, though I can't see Hodgson doing that. At the same time, they might be so deep in the mire by the time they play you that he won't want to risk important first team players in a cup match. Hopefully they'll come as big a cropper as we did. 

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

Not sure if this has been posted before, but, did we not play Crystal Palace at the same stage in the 88/89 League Cup run?  The Ralph Milne game. 

Not the same round. We beat Palace in round 3 in 88/89. 

Beat Exeter in round 1. Similarities this year? Beating a lower ranked Devon club at home. 

Beat Oxford away in round 2. Similarities to this year? Oxford weren't top flight like Watford this year, but they had only just got relegated from the top flight. Win away vs 'higher ranked' club who play in yellow. 

Beat Palace at home in round 3. Similarities this year? Palace weren't top flight like Stoke but they were a league higher than us. Both were managed by ex Man Utd players. Both wear stripes. 

Round 4 we beat Tranmere at home. They were 4th division and lowest ranked club left. Not sure if we can find any similarities this time? Perhaps we'll draw another scouse team - Everton.

Quarter final we beat Bradford away. They'd been in the playoffs the year before and nearly got in the top flight. Perhaps we'll beat another Yorkshire team knocking on the prem door - Leeds? 

Semi final was Forest. Ex European champions. Clearly we're playing Chelsea in the semi. 

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

We absolutely battered Everton in the FA Cup in 95 but ended up losing 1-0 late, they went on to win it that year. Put up a decent showing against them in 99 too, again losing to two late goals, Bakayoko getting both.

Everton friend of mine got chased all over BS3 in the 95 game, he reckons it was one of his scariest away days. He alsp managed to sneak out with a match ball booted into the away end.

2 hours ago, Gazred said:

Never get tired of seeing that again. On it's own it's up there with the best I've ever seen us score but given the game and the timing, it's such a great goal.

Nothing to fear from this draw. Genuine chance of getting through.

Never forget that strike I was at that game and as soon as he hit it I said to my uncle it's in

40 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Who did we beat on the way to the Spurs semi in 71. Can't be assed to look and my memory is hazy these days. Broke my heart at White Hart Lane. <smile>

Rotherham 4-0 on agg (0-0 away, 4-0 home) > Blackpool 1-0 away > Leicester 2-2 away, then 2-1 aet in the replay (Replays! Remember them?) > Fulham 0-0 away, 1-0 in the replay > Spurs 1-1 at home, then 0-2 aet away.

3 hours ago, Dreamkiller said:

But we put our reserve side out and made 9 changes and still won

4 hours ago, tinman85 said:

Their forum full of dislike for us. Saying they owe us one for the Mccombe added on time goal, play offs and Sears phantom goal. Love it. 

Just to balance out their bullshit, 

Hills handballed before scoring against us in the McCombe game

Play offs included a blatent dive for a penalty by Fonte

Paul Hartley had a good goal wrongly disallowed for offside in the same game Sears did

Another clear dive by Johnny Williams to win them a game at Selhurst.

I always found them to be a bunch of ####s tbh.

8 hours ago, cityexile said:

Both of those, but a bit like Watford and Stoke.

The real problem with somebody like a Man Utd is that it sucks oxygen out of everything else, as it is the only thing people become interested in. No one breaks out the bunting for this one, and a fighters chance of a last eight. Not a distraction.

Thank you , you saved me posting.

nearly. 

:yes:

7 hours ago, Spoons said:

Some city fans won't know who to support in this game... The over the top ' love in for palace and their ultras' !! Cringe! 

Not the City fans i know who all cannot stand Crystal Palace, myself included. Vile club and i hope we turn the ***** over.

Archived