IGNORED

Palace at Home

Never to the dark side

45 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Why would we? That goal wasn't disallowed because the ref didn't realise it hadn't gone in, it was disallowed because of a foul in the buildup.

It was Colin that started this myth about the ref claiming it didn't go in and even City fans seem to have fallen for it.

Sorry, I know it was a  joke, but this really is just a myth.

Are you referring to the ghost goal scored by Sears? and  Colin and Tango Man accused us of cheating?

That one was definitely a goal but not given because the ball bounced out off the heavy pole that was holding the back of the net down and the officials didn't see it.  From my seat high up in the Dolman it was clearly a goal and couldn't believe it when it wasn't given.

Palace were robbed on that occasion. 

15 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

A friend of mine at work is a Huddersfield season ticket holder who went to their match at Palace on Tuesday. He said it was like a contest between two teams to see who could lose- quite clear that neither squad put much value on the fixture and this may be viewed as a nuisance for Palace. Given that it's at home, if we maintain our form we'd probably be favourites

Furtger to this, if we beat Palace and then win the next game to get to the semi's, if the remaining 3 teams in the competition are, say, Man U, Man City and Chelsea, all of whom qualify for the Champions League, would we get a Europa League place?!

I asked this on another thread and the answer is no. Only way to qualify for Europe through this competition is by winning it!

Just now, Robbored said:

Are you referring to the ghost goal scored by Sears? and  Colin and Tango Man accused us of cheating?

That one was definitely a goal but not given because the ball bounced out off the heavy pole that was holding the back of the net down and the officials didn't see it.  From my seat high up in the Dolman it was clearly a goal and couldn't believe it when it wasn't given.

Palace were robbed on that occasion. 

That is exactly the one, and yes, it did go in and everyone saw it. The referee confirmed after the game that it was disallowed for a foul in the build up. Palace were most certainly not robbed.

Shame that the qualifying for Europe prize is so restrictive. It would make it so much more of an interesting proposition if teams got European places for reaching the semis if the rest of the semi-finalists were top 4 sides.

I'd like to see it totally reformed and have Scottish sides in this cup too. Would be much more interesting.

19 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Shame that the qualifying for Europe prize is so restrictive. It would make it so much more of an interesting proposition if teams got European places for reaching the semis if the rest of the semi-finalists were top 4 sides.

I'd like to see it totally reformed and have Scottish sides in this cup too. Would be much more interesting.

Why on earth should we allow Scottish teams into our tournaments? We owe them f uckall.

• Admin
23 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

The Celts already have a joint Welsh / Scottish cup - think they founds each others levels

• Admin
2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Simon Jordan ?

No

Have to say , I find him one of the best listens in football discussions and debates , on radio - talks a lot of sense and totally says it how it is

Have to agree @BobBobSuperBob used to think he was a bit of a nause, but over the past weeks he has become compulsive listening on TV and radio

7 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Why on earth should we allow Scottish teams into our tournaments? We owe them f uckall.

Just a personal preference to spice it up a bit, it's not exactly a tournament that gets people very interested at the moment - needs a change.

Would love to see us play Celtic or Rangers competitively, but then again I would like to see them in the English leagues. Don't expect that to be a very popular idea on here though! 

41 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

That is exactly the one, and yes, it did go in and everyone saw it. The referee confirmed after the game that it was disallowed for a foul in the build up. Palace were most certainly not robbed.

Well you learn something everyday! I didn't know that was why the goal wasn't given. I though play had continued after the "goal".

I don't remember a free kick. Mind you it was several years ago.

58 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Got a feeling it goes to the 6th placed PL side unless you are runners up? 

50 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I asked this on another thread and the answer is no. Only way to qualify for Europe through this competition is by winning it!

Never mind then. It'd only be a distraction from our assault on the Premier League title next season :P

13 hours ago, Leveller said:

We'd rather lose at Old Trafford now rather than later. Even if we beat CP we'd eventually lose to a bigger club - may as well be now!

This has got a lot of negative reaction. But put it another way - a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. That is, a glamour tie this time would have been better than a 50% chance of a glamorous quarter final and a 50% chance of going out to Palace.

2 hours ago, class_not_gas said:

The Bristol rovers boob cricket weirdo , is also a massive Crystal Palace fan that attends a lot of their games . Please remind all the females the this pest is 99% to be at Ashton gate for this game 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2066560/Football-fan-gropes-mother-threes-breast-drunken-game-boob-cricket.html

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/1351827--to-think-Jason-Lintern-needs-to-learn-that-sexual-assault-is-always-offensive

Anyone but Bristol city in the draw tonight #cpfc

7 minutes ago, myol'man said:

Anyone but Bristol city in the draw tonight #cpfc

Complete Cockwomble
**** sake Bristol city I will take so much stick if we lose this one #cpfc come on palace

58 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

This is how I remember it as well. I recall being annoyed that in the aftermath of the game Warnock's version of events about us being cheats became the accepted one.

11 hours ago, Dreamkiller said:

Just for the record, the team Stoke put out last night wasn't picked out of arrogance or believing a reserve side could just turn up and turn over a Championship side.

Of the six changes we made last night, we had Grant (last season's player of the year), Johnson (picked in the England squad in the past 12 months), Tymon (our man of the match in the last round), Ramadan (a massive fans favourite), Charlie Adam (admittedly his legs have gone), and Crouch (who generally bags a few in this kind of game). 

It was more an exercise in giving very good players who'd not recently been in the first team a game to keep them match fit. It didn't work, but make no mistake, Hughes wanted to win that match. It wasn't what you could call a reserve side by any stretch.

I wasnt meaning the actual club i.e management, i meant fans!

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Maybe this was and remains Lee Johnson's cunning plan to participate in the Europa league inside 5 years and is why Hughes was laughing his rocks off in that caption photo .

28 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Well you learn something everyday! I didn't know that was why the goal wasn't given. I though play had continued after the "goal".

I don't remember a free kick. Mind you it was several years ago.

From memory, I think it was Colin Sexstone who said that he had spoken to the referee who confirmed to him it was for a foul, though it may have been Gary Johnson. Was a long time ago.

All I know is that it somehow got lost in all the bluster from Colin on the night and for weeks afterwards, and has somehow become the accepted version of events.

I guess it makes for a better story.

13 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Ha ha ha brilliant. Should of had goal line technology. **** off warnock and palace 

Thought of a song at the time based on the Smokie / Roy Chubby Brown classic

24 minutes just waiting for a goal

Then Sears thinks he's scored one but the Ref don't wanna know

And for 24 minutes we've been hearin' from Warnock's Palace

Palace, Palace...who the **** are Palace

Warnock insults GJ, but GJ shows he's class

He asked the FA to replay

They said stick it up yer ***

Cause for 24 days we've been hearin' from Warnock's Palace

Palace, Palace....who the **** are Palace

50 minutes ago, nickolas said:

I wasnt meaning the actual club i.e management, i meant fans!

We were beaten in the FA Cup at home by Wolves last season. They were hovering around the relegation zone at the time.

We can match or beat Man U or Arsenal, but every Stoke fan knows we're an accident waiting to happen for large parts of the season. 

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Just a personal preference to spice it up a bit, it's not exactly a tournament that gets people very interested at the moment - needs a change.

Would love to see us play Celtic or Rangers competitively, but then again I would like to see them in the English leagues. Don't expect that to be a very popular idea on here though! 

I agree mate..Not a popular view at all.

Perhaps the way to go is have the first three  rounds played in the final two weeks pre league season . In essence they would replace some friendlies.The clubs involved aren't the type to go to China etc anyway so wouldnt affect the big boys money spinning trips. I suppose Round 1 could be leagues 1 and 2. Round 2 the 24 survivors plus the Champ clubs with all the Championship sides playing away.Round 3  the 24 survivors plus lowest 8 Prem sides.  Then during the actual season round 4 the 16 survivors plus the next 8 Prem sides, and then round 5 the 12 survivors plus the 4 Champions league sides.

1 hour ago, richwwtk said:

From memory, I think it was Colin Sexstone who said that he had spoken to the referee who confirmed to him it was for a foul, though it may have been Gary Johnson. Was a long time ago.

All I know is that it somehow got lost in all the bluster from Colin on the night and for weeks afterwards, and has somehow become the accepted version of events.

I don't remember any of that!  

Maybe whoever it was that spoke after the game was part of covering up a blatant error from the officials.

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

This is also true of the FA Cup now. They changed the rules a couple of years ago so the runners up can't qualify.

1 hour ago, richwwtk said:

It was Gary Johnson who made the claim about the foul. Personally, I'm not convinced - I think you've been taken in by a combination of the referee trying to save face and a bit of cheeky spin from Gary.

Besides, why else would we have restarted, after the linesman had flagged, with a goal kick?

Despite your post, the fact is we probably won't ever know what the referee really thought when Freddie Sears wheeled away to celebrate.

Funny memories, either way!

Just now, The Journalist said:

It was Gary Johnson who made the claim about the foul. Personally, I'm not convinced - I think you've been taken in by a combination of the referee trying to save face and a bit of cheeky spin from Gary.

Besides, why else would we have restarted, after the linesman had flagged, with a goal kick?

Despite your post, the fact is we probably won't ever know what the referee really thought when Freddie Sears wheeled away to celebrate.

Funny memories, either way!

Possibly.

I'd always assumed that, rather than a goal kick, the restart was a free kick from the same spot as the goal kick would have been taken from.

Colin Sexstone did indeed say there was an infringement.

However, Bristol City chief executive Colin Sexstone vehemently refuted any allegations of cheating.

"We have come to expect this from Warnock and Jordan. They are shouting and bawling without knowing the facts," he said.

"As far as I understand it, the goal was disallowed for an infringement."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/8194875.stm

33 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Possibly.

I'd always assumed that, rather than a goal kick, the restart was a free kick from the same spot as the goal kick would have been taken from.

Just having another look at this, do you still really believe the referee had given a free-kick?!

He's completely motionless at the time the goal goes in and, if he has given a free-kick, why's he gone over to talk to the linesman?!

All a bit odd.

• Admin
40 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

This was how I saw it at the time

Archived