IGNORED

The Golden Age of Serie A

One Team In Keynsham

8 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Came across this article on the Guardian's web page.

Enjoy some corkers from a fair smattering of the finest players in their, or possibly any, era:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/the-gentleman-ultra/2017/sep/20/golazos-25-best-goals-serie-a-seasons-football-italia

I think that Gascoine goal at number 20 is one of my favourites ever. Good article that.

Used to love a bit of Football Italia on a Sunday afternoon. It seemed so much more exotic than the English football at the time. I think they had the 3 foreigner rule for a few years, so most of the non-Italians at the big clubs were huge international names.

Some cracking goals and players on that list. Surprised Signori didn't make it on there. He seemed to score every week he was on.

1 hour ago, Gazred said:

Used to love a bit of Football Italia on a Sunday afternoon. It seemed so much more exotic than the English football at the time. I think they had the 3 foreigner rule for a few years, so most of the non-Italians at the big clubs were huge international names.

Some cracking goals and players on that list. Surprised Signori didn't make it on there. He seemed to score every week he was on.

Brilliant one-step penalty technique.

Not sure if that era will ever be bettered for me (in any league).

World class attacking talents, genuinely world class defending (does that exist anymore?), James Richardson in a different coffee shop every Saturday morning for Gazetta and Peter Brackley and co talking us through the live game on a Sunday (in a time way before I was lucky enough to have decent internet or Sky Sports).

Christ, I miss those days.

8 hours ago, Gazred said:

Same here always a good watch after a sunday lunch! Had some great players back in the day the likes of Maldini who is one of the best defenders ever to play the game.

12 minutes ago, Super said:

Same here always a good watch after a sunday lunch! Had some great players back in the day the likes of Maldini who is one of the best defenders ever to play the game.

Takes me back to happier simpler times! Agreed re Maldini. Read recently that him and baresi played about 130 games together at centre back for Milan, obviously maldini was usually left back, and that pairing conceded 29 goals in that time! I was never much of a fan of baresi, he must have been a nightmare to play against, but maldini was unbelievable. Looks like me too.

22 minutes ago, simon uk said:

Takes me back to happier simpler times! Agreed re Maldini. Read recently that him and baresi played about 130 games together at centre back for Milan, obviously maldini was usually left back, and that pairing conceded 29 goals in that time! I was never much of a fan of baresi, he must have been a nightmare to play against, but maldini was unbelievable. Looks like me too.

902 games for Milan in all competitions. Legend.

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2016/01/31/in-celebration-of-paolo-maldini-the-greatest-defender-of-his-age/

Good read this bit stood out:

The problem with quality defending is that it’s often hard to tell when it’s happening. Chest thumping centre-halves in the mould of John Terry or Nemanja Vidić may steal the headlines, but that doesn’t diminish the role that intelligent defenders play. It’s all about positioning and reading the situation. In other words, a great defender is essentially a highly paid bodyguard. Never ignored, but hardly ever thanked. If they do their job correctly, everyone focuses on the star. If they fail, it’s their fault alone. It may not be a completely thankless task, but it’s a testament to Maldini’s footballing intelligence that he’s revered for his influence and consistency over the decades.

One-club players are often few and far between, and they’re becoming an increasing rarity in an era in where loyalty means little when compared to a higher wage, or the allure of silverware. Players like Maldini don’t come around often – and few can match his success rate at the very top of the game.

Series a was superb, then the money ran out and the scandals hit. It seems to me that there were more world class players spread around in the past too, look at batistuta at fiorentina, all the top players at Milan, Baggio at juventus, ronaldo at inter, Parma had a spell as a top team with Buffon Thurman and cannavaro, then lazio and Roma had their time. Happy days

6 hours ago, jaydee=inspiration said:

The Saturday program was probably the best football magazine show there ever has been. Nothing comes close nowadays, even with all the money SS and the likes have to throw at it. Then again it is 4am in the morning, so forgive my potential deludedness!

This x 100000 - James Richardson was brilliant.  Does anyone know if he's City or Rovers... or neither?

12 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

This x 100000 - James Richardson was brilliant.  Does anyone know if he's City or Rovers... or neither?

neither

That's better. Now, who do you support?
Roma, because they were the first Italian club I ever saw. I was taken there by my then-girlfriend, a Roma supporter, to see them draw 0-0 with Monaco in 1991. I was having a relationship with Italy as much as with that girlfriend. You know what it is, if you were to go out with a girl from Chelmsford, should you be so fortunate, you'd probably find that everything to do with Essex is somehow lent a certain charm.

13 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

I'm shocked that Channel 4 hasn't thought of bringing back Football Italia.

The rights to a highlight show (and the odd match) shouldn't cost much, and if hosted by the right people I reckon a modern take on it could be great.

Trouble is the quality of Italian football went down the pan. Its only just starting to get better now. The PL & La Liga has robbed it of all its talent.

3 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Trouble is the quality of Italian football went down the pan. Its only just starting to get better now. The PL & La Liga has robbed it of all its talent.

A lot of it is down to perception. Sky constantly spout bollocks about how the Premier League is the greatest league in the world, when our teams have struggled in the Champions League for the better part of a decade.

I'd say that the best leagues are the ones that are readily available. If Sky are happy to price people out of watching La Liga and the Premier League then perhaps the best league will be the one that is readily available for everyone to watch? Get streaming rights to Serie A on All4, and add Football Italia to Channel 4, and people will probably talk about Inter and Roma as much as they talk about Burnley and West Brom.

Serie A had problems off the pitch, which quite quickly fed into on the pitch.

FWIW, last few years- say 2 or 3, it's not been that bad. Only compared to what it was at it's peak...

Fairly empty stadia, aging grounds- plenty not renovated since 1990 WC, suspicions of corruption let's say- borne out in 06. Money drying up was another factor but there were lots of others which quickly impacted on the pitch.

Also, having to put in passport details (combination of Ultra hooliganism issues, and perception of issues and the Mafia problem) to buy a ticket for example puts a lot of people off and drives down revenue- more clubs in Serie A are now developing youth which gets poached by top 5 or 6 clubs, is an alternative route, but takes significant time. Atalanta for example have a terrific academy.

Given all the problems off the pitch there, I'm surprised it's still 4th best in Europe tbh.

2 hours ago, Super said:

902 games for Milan in all competitions. Legend.

Unquestionably so. Won a few things too:

Honours

Club

Milan

Serie A: 1987–88, 1991–92, 1992–93, 1993–94, 1995–96, 1998–99, 2003–04

Coppa Italia: 2002–03

Supercoppa Italiana: 1992, 1993, 2004

European Cup/Champions League: 1988–89, 1989–90, 1993–94, 2002–03, 2006–07

UEFA Super Cup: 1989, 1990, 1994, 2003

Intercontinental Cup: 1989, 1990

FIFA Club World Cup: 2007

International

Italy

FIFA World Cup: Runners-up 1994, Third-place 1990

UEFA European Football Championship: Runners-up 2000, Semi-finalists 1988

UEFA European Under-21 Championship: Runners-up 1986

Individual

UEFA European Championship Team of the Tournament: 1988, 1996, 2000

Bravo Award: 1989

FIFA World Cup All-Star Team: 1990, 1994

Ballon d'Or: Third-place 1994,2003

World Soccer Player of the Year: 1994

UNICEF European Footballer of the Season: 1993–94

ESM Team of the Year: 1994–95, 1995–96, 1999–00, 2002–03

FIFA World Player of the Year: Silver Award 1995

Premio Nazionale Carriera Esemplare "Gaetano Scirea": 2002

FIFA World Cup Dream Team: 2002

FIFA XI: 2002

UEFA Champions League Final Man of the Match: 2003

UEFA Team of the Year: 2003, 2005

UEFA President's Award: 2003

Serie A Defender of the Year: 2004

FIFA 100

UEFA Golden Jubilee Poll: #10

FIFA FIFPro World XI: 2005

UEFA Club Defender of the Year: 2007

Premio internazionale Giacinto Facchetti: 2008

FIFA Order of Merit: 2008

UEFA Champions League Achievement Award: 2009

Marca Leyenda: 2009

Italian Football Hall of Fame: 2012

World Soccer Greatest XI of all time: 2013

One Club Man Award: 2016

UEFA Euro All-time XI

A.C. Milan Hall of Fame

Records

Most appearances in all competitions (A.C. Milan): 902

Most league appearances (only Serie A regular-seasons): 647

Most league appearances for A.C. Milan (only Serie A regular-seasons): 647

Second-most UEFA club competitions appearances: 174

Most UEFA club competitions appearances for A.C. Milan: 174

Most European competitions appearances: 168

Most European competitions appearances for A.C. Milan: 168

Most UEFA Champions Leagueappearances for A.C. Milan: 139

Most finals played in UEFA Champions League – 8 (tied with Francisco Gento)

Youngest first-team player (A.C. Milan): 16 years and 208 days (against Udinese, 20 January 1985)

Longest-serving player (A.C. Milan): 24 years and 132 days (from 20 January 1985 to 31 May 2009)

Most FIFA World Cup appearances for Italy: 23

Record of minutes played in the World Cups: 2216

Fastest goal scored in UEFA Champions League/European Cup final history: 50 seconds, 2005

Oldest player to score a goal in UEFA Champions League/European Cup final history: aged 36 years and 333 days, playing for A.C. Milan against Liverpool, 2005

Orders

4th Class / Officer: Ufficiale Ordine al Merito della Repubblica Italiana:2000

5th Class / Knight: Cavaliere Ordine al Merito della Repubblica Italiana: 1991

Only really missing a finals win with Italy.

13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Serie A had problems off the pitch, which quite quickly fed into on the pitch.

FWIW, last few years- say 2 or 3, it's not been that bad. Only compared to what it was at it's peak...

Fairly empty stadia, aging grounds- plenty not renovated since 1990 WC, suspicions of corruption let's say- borne out in 06. Money drying up was another factor but there were lots of others which quickly impacted on the pitch.

Also, having to put in passport details (combination of Ultra hooliganism issues, and perception of issues and the Mafia problem) to buy a ticket for example puts a lot of people off and drives down revenue- more clubs in Serie A are now developing youth which gets poached by top 5 or 6 clubs, is an alternative route, but takes significant time. Atalanta for example have a terrific academy.

Given all the problems off the pitch there, I'm surprised it's still 4th best in Europe tbh.

FWIW, the San Siro is my favourite Stadium I've ever watched football in. Brilliant atmosphere and only about 35k fans out of 80k seats. Would love to go again when/if it is full. The football is nowhere near as bad as people are told. 

Juventus have made two of the last three CL finals so it cannot be that bad

Archived