IGNORED

Tammy Abraham set to play for Nigeria

Eastside Moonwalker

6 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Disappointing if true, Tammy was born and brought up in England and presumably sees his long term future here, as well as that of any future family.

Imo. he should pledge his international future to the country of his birth, the country he has already represented at numerous levels, and the country he intends to continue to live in.

I'll have that little bit less interest in his career if he chooses to represent Nigeria.

spot on. If you're born and raised here then you're english, no ifs or buts. If he wants to play for nigeria then he should swap his british passport for a nigerian one. Blimey, I absolutely hate it when players skulk off to represent another nation out of selfish personal reasons. frankly though, if that's his level of pride in the nation of his birth then maybe we're better off without him. 

England have spent big on Tammy and given him an education in football the likes of which he would get from only a handful of other countries. In the event he turns his back on that and plays for Nigeria, in my humble opinion, shows a complete lack of respect and class. And if it does happen he can expect serial verbal abuse from fans. Lets see if it comes to pass.

11 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Agree Robbo; this whole thing really irritates me. Just look at Qatar; they have perhaps been instrumental in lobbying FIFA or rather trousering the board in order for them to change the rules. Now you see 'Qataris' playing for their national team who have not only been born elsewhere, grown up elsewhere and even been educated elsewhere but do not even speak Qatari nor live in Qatar. What a total farce. 

When did it all change? Under Blatter no doubt but perhaps commenced by that other corrupt old fart Havelange.

Where was Tammy born? That is who he should play for and absolutely nobody else. And if he cannot get in the team it is insane that he can pick another country. 

This sounds very extreme. Surely one has always been able to represent one's parents country of birth, as proposed here?

Those born abroad of British parents (e.g. Forces children, diplomats' children, even those born on holiday) would fall foul of your proposed strict rule.

On 21/09/2017 at 18:02, havanatopia said:

England have spent big on Tammy and given him an education in football the likes of which he would get from only a handful of other countries. In the event he turns his back on that and plays for Nigeria, in my humble opinion, shows a complete lack of respect and class. And if it does happen he can expect serial verbal abuse from fans. Lets see if it comes to pass.

Isn't this exactly why Taylor Moore left France? It doesn't bother me too much. It would be better if you played where you were born or if there was a cut off age where if you moved to a country after a certain age you were from that country. Leko an example, lived here since what? 8? Or have the FA sign off on it. 

Archived