IGNORED

SO WHO'S THE WEAK LINK?

generation1

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I thought of him as well. 

No doubt he's a good player but whether he's got the type of ability required to play role is debatable.

Its likely that LJ has considered it a possibility. He played in midfield last season but that was before Hegelar had acclimatised to the speed and physically of the Championship. Now with more experience he could be given more opportunities in there.

I don't think we have another player in the squad who looks as comfortable on the ball. He makes it look so easy, protects the ball well, and is never flustered. Standard German really. 

He didn't settle as well as I'd hoped last season but thought he had a good game Tuesday and made some great tackles whilst being fairly unspectacular in general. 

Hope he can push on this season but just another example of the quality of back up we have to choose from. 

Always good to have a German for a penalty shootout too. Play off final anyone? 

2 hours ago, deadredfred said:

He didn't settle as well as I'd hoped last season but thought he had a good game Tuesday and made some great tackles whilst being fairly unspectacular in general. 

To be honest I thought he read the game better than Terry did for Villa. Albeit a totally different game, we were a lot more frenetic in the Villa game than Stoke were.

While JH can play CM/CB I think Flint will go in January and we'll need Hegeler as cover for the defence so.

For me, O'Neill still has to prove himself and may be the one to replace. He made a couple of costly mistakes last season because he took unnecessary risks - not the experienced pro I was expecting to see

Here's to hoping it's just his legs catching up with his brain, obviously an intelligent footballer but needed to adjust to his own limitations as an elder statesman

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

I thought of him as well. 

No doubt he's a good player but whether he's got the type of ability required to play role is debatable.

Its likely that LJ has considered it a possibility. He played in midfield last season but that was before Hegelar had acclimatised to the speed and physically of the Championship. Now with more experience he could be given more opportunities in there.

He has played midfield in the Champion's League, of course he has the ability to play it in the Championship. The playing style, potentially not.

4 hours ago, Alessandro said:

Taking nothing away from Pack, Smith and Brownhill, but i'd be looking for a classy game changing centre mid, especially going forwards.

This....but can we afford one (wages and fees) and would they want to come here, unless we look nailed on top six.

4 hours ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Would love someone like Alan Judge, sitting in front of Pack or Brownhill. 

Is he back yet...was a fine player.

4 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Indeed. In a weird way I think Pisano's injury has been helpful in meaning Wright, Flint and Baker are all getting to start regularly. With everyone fully fit there will be players who might get frustrated at not getting onto the pitch...

Also meant we haven’t had to rush him back.

We may not know our weakest link until January when the window opens and potentially we lose one or two of our standout players like Bobby and Joe.... They are bound to continue to attract attention, along with the rest of our squad really... Would the club be aware of any confirmed interest in any of our players before the  window opens or is it taboo to start preliminary discussions before January? Disaster if we lost one or two and there was insufficient time to bring in the right replacements... 

Thought about this...and it surely is horses for courses?

Totally depending on the style of play the manager wants.

Hence LJ bringing in his players to play the way he wants. That's why they have such a database of players, showing their strengths and weaknesses.

Would you choose Mo Farrah to run a 100m sprint? No...but he's a good runner no?

Same in football.

Example....is Đurić a better forward than Bobby Reid? Surely it depends on the game plan and opposition. Both have their individual strengths.

Long time from now until January isn't it. We could be pushing to go up or struggling to stay up, or anywhere in between and they players we would need or can attract will be different for each scenario. 

It all depends who looks to be leaving, if any,  and what happens to all our players we have out on loan as their loan agreements finishing around then or before. 

The squad looks good at the moment and seem to have bonded and playing well, and I'm stressing squad not just 1st team. Is there anyone fit and available who hasn't played a part this season, I can't think of anyone without looking? Also from the opposition players I've seen I can't think of anyone we've had real difficulty with, no one I'd swop for any of ours at the moment. I'm enjoying football at the moment.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Are you saying that a fit GON is a weak link?

He hasn't really shown what he can do thru different injuries so yeah, he is a sick note. Unfortunate for him and the squad. 

He looked useful in a couple of games last season but he's not the answer to the type of midfielder we'd all like to see. 

He's getting on a bit as well and City could well be his last club as a player. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Are you saying that a fit GON is a weak link?

What exactly is a fully fit GON? I certainly haven't seen one. For me on the very rare occasion he is "fit" (loosest sense of the word) he gives the ball away way to much and generally slows the pace of the game down. The sooner we get rid the better, a waste of 15k per week. 

2 hours ago, streety_bcfc said:

What exactly is a fully fit GON? I certainly haven't seen one. For me on the very rare occasion he is "fit" (loosest sense of the word) he gives the ball away way to much and generally slows the pace of the game down. The sooner we get rid the better, a waste of 15k per week. 

To be fair, I thought GON started last season well and helped us gain some confidence. I remember being impressed with his energy in the early matches. Went wrong from mid Sept when he was sent off v Sheffield Wed following Tomlins's pen hitting the post followed by injuries. 

Archived