IGNORED

BRISTOL?

Tomo

On 9/21/2017 at 21:19, Eddie Hitler said:

It's a compliment.

Commentators would never say "Manchester" because nobody would know if they meant Manchester United or Manchester City.

So if they feel happy saying "Bristol" then that is because none of their viewers / listeners will do other than think that it's Bristol City to whom they are referring.

One Team in Bristol is probably more true now than it has ever been.

It always wound me up, but that's a good way to look at it. Effectively it denies the :gasmask: exist.

On a side note a few years ago we got into conversation with a load of Manchester City fans on a train to Doncaster (us for footy, them for geegees) and both groups were referring to their team as City. Well confusing. Mind you, isn't theirs "Siteh"?

15 hours ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

I wonder if it pisses any Sheffield Wednesday/United supporters off?  (I do hear boyh clubs referred to merely as 'Sheffield').  That's the only other city in the same situation.

Except there's a very distinguished club called Sheffield, and none of us in the football world should forget that.

11 hours ago, cider-manc said:

It annoys me.

The reason it annoys me is that although we jest and say things like "only one team in Bristol" etc the truth is that those who refer to us as Bristol probably also refer to that mob over the river as Bristol.

Hughes for example would probably have called the sags Bristol if he had just played them. Sky sports news would probably have done so in their match report (keep in mind that SSN has mixed the two teams up on screen displays at least twice this season).

Funnily enough, your post had me thinking about what I would have said if I was on the Bristol Rovers board, and you know what, I think I'd have referred to them as Rovers, not Bristol.

Why? I think it's probably because as a Stoke fan, I think of us as being City, so I wouldn't refer to you as City, whereas the word Rovers is the word I'd veer towards if I was talking about the other lot. 

There's probably not much logic to it, but football supporters tend to use one word when referring to other teams who invariably have two or more words in their name. 

If we talk about Leicester or Leeds we don't refer to them as City or United, but we refer to Port Vale as the Vale. Aston Villa are the Villa. We talk about Blackburn, not Rovers, Ipswich not Town, but Queens Park are probably Rangers. West Brom are generally Albion.

It's all a bit random I suppose, and not really worth getting wound up about, at least as far as what outsiders call you. 

11 hours ago, Dreamkiller said:

Funnily enough, your post had me thinking about what I would have said if I was on the Bristol Rovers board, and you know what, I think I'd have referred to them as Rovers, not Bristol.

Why? I think it's probably because as a Stoke fan, I think of us as being City, so I wouldn't refer to you as City, whereas the word Rovers is the word I'd veer towards if I was talking about the other lot. 

There's probably not much logic to it, but football supporters tend to use one word when referring to other teams who invariably have two or more words in their name. 

If we talk about Leicester or Leeds we don't refer to them as City or United, but we refer to Port Vale as the Vale. Aston Villa are the Villa. We talk about Blackburn, not Rovers, Ipswich not Town, but Queens Park are probably Rangers. West Brom are generally Albion.

It's all a bit random I suppose, and not really worth getting wound up about, at least as far as what outsiders call you. 

I do understand these reasonings and believe me when I say it is mostly me being petty.

It's not really other fans refering to us as Bristol that annoys me (living in Manchester Ive had many conversations where I've had to repeat myself but saying Bristol city rather than just city) but when media outlets do it.

Imagine you turned on a radio, a game is on and you didn't know who was playing - the commentator says "Bristol are winning" You wouldn't from that know 100% which team it was. 

Leeds, Leicester, Ipswich and Blackburn are one team citys /towns so you would 100% know.

Villa, Birmingham or west Brom have entirely different names. Like yourselves and Vale... You would 100% know.

I can only think of two other city's that contain two football league teams that share their name with their city (maybe others... But off the top of my head with a hangover) Manchester and Sheffield. None of those 4 teams are referred to as  either Sheffield or Manchester by the press.

Anything that causes people to fail to differentiate between us and the other lot is not a good thing in my eyes.

As I say... It's mostly me being pretty.

On 21/09/2017 at 23:45, Dreamkiller said:

No, he'd call them United for the reason I explained before. He called you Bristol because most people in his position would. What's so bad about calling you by the name of your city? He called you Bristol for the same reason I called you Bristol last night. Because it's easier to type or to say Bristol than it is to type or say Bristol City, and because it probably never crossed his mind like it didn't cross my mind that it might cause annoyance/offence/aggravation or any other word that you choose to describe the apparent apoplexy of not being referred to in the same terms as another team in a galaxy far far away.

Hughes is the Stoke CITY manager so he'd hardly speak about the opposition as "City" its a way of distinguishing between the two City clubs.

Make sme laugh how people get pissed off about being referred to as Bristol, Should tell you everything you need to know about the statuis of the other professional footbal team in the area.

23 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

I do understand these reasonings and believe me when I say it is mostly me being petty.

It's not really other fans refering to us as Bristol that annoys me (living in Manchester Ive had many conversations where I've had to repeat myself but saying Bristol city rather than just city) but when media outlets do it.

Imagine you turned on a radio, a game is on and you didn't know who was playing - the commentator says "Bristol are winning" You wouldn't from that know 100% which team it was. 

Leeds, Leicester, Ipswich and Blackburn are one team citys /towns so you would 100% know.

Villa, Birmingham or west Brom have entirely different names. Like yourselves and Vale... You would 100% know.

I can only think of two other city's that contain two football league teams that share their name with their city (maybe others... But off the top of my head with a hangover) Manchester and Sheffield. None of those 4 teams are referred to as  either Sheffield or Manchester by the press.

Anything that causes people to fail to differentiate between us and the other lot is not a good thing in my eyes.

I get you. Like you say, there are not too many examples of cities where the two football teams have the name of the city in their title, so if you think you're being treated differently to those other teams then it can rankle. 

Not sure if anyone has see this, but Bristol Sport are being used as a case study for Sage Software Solutions.

http://www.sage.co.uk/lp/stories?banner=0

I'm working in Surrey at the moment, and an advert for this seems to be on the radio all the time (@ReigateRed will know what I mean).

Basically, Gavin Marshall (CFO) introduces Bristol Sport as owning 'Bristol's affiliated Football, Rugby and Basketball teams'. It doesn't mention Bristol City by name at all. Although this does seem a bit strange, it does imply that there in no one else remotely in/near our league that could be confused with us.

47 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

Bradfiord City is usually referred to as Bradford. There is a Conference North team in the same city which was once a league club (Park Avenue). Wonder if "City" fans up there get the arse ache over being referred to as Bradford ? Genuine question.

14 hours ago, finbarr_in_z said:

It always wound me up, but that's a good way to look at it. Effectively it denies the :gasmask: exist.

On a side note a few years ago we got into conversation with a load of Manchester City fans on a train to Doncaster (us for footy, them for geegees) and both groups were referring to their team as City. Well confusing. Mind you, isn't theirs "Siteh"?

Very much this for me, I have a load of friends who support either United and City, and generally when City and Citeh are used in emails, it is accepted the former are us and the latter are the petrodollar funded mercenaries from Eastlands.

45 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Bradfiord City is usually referred to as Bradford. There is a Conference North team in the same city which was once a league club (Park Avenue). Wonder if "City" fans up there get the arse ache over being referred to as Bradford ? Genuine question.

I've no idea. Bradford PA playing in the football league was before my time. Perhaps it used to bother them but now it doesn't. 

Likewise I don't know how Bristol Manor Farm would feel about it.

Again-  I know I'm being petty. But it's one of those things that rankles and no argument no matter how sensible is going to change my mind!

It irks me as well. I try not to let it, but it does. As has already been said, the media never refer to Man Utd or Man City as Manchester, so why are we referred to as just Bristol? We are a city with two clubs and the "City" part of our name distinguishes us from the fewers. 

Is it really such an issue that it merits so much mass debate?

Life's too short ...isnt it?.... comes across as more of an ocd for some situation rather than seriously important.. (I see it more as demeaning to the blue side of the city rather than a slight to us... their problem (if indeed it is one) not ours)

Anyway to avoid any confusion we're half an hour away from kick off .... can we all agree on Come On You Reds for now?  .... no point calling City as that can apply to Norwich just as much as Bristol.... oops perhaps I should say,  applies to Norwich City just as much as Bristol City (for the ocd otibers among us) ...

Without further ado,

..this is no time for Johnsons out or mass debating, its near Kick Off time and C O Y R's !!  :city:

Altogether Now! 

Archived