IGNORED

The Official Norwich City v Bristol City Match Day Thread 9

Remember doing some work in Norwich 2009 the season when they were in league one and we were in the Championship, some great pi55 taking. However, since then they have been up to the Prem and back and we have only been down to league one and back :blink:.

On to today, buoyed with fresh optimism from our last 3 league results, I fancy we might get a draw out of it, 2-2.

Edited by old_eastender
17 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Remember the film 'Never Let Me Go' ? I always wanted to see it simply because it had a scene on Clevedon beach and the Pier. The rest of it, while well acted and starring Keira Knightly and Charlotte Rampling, I found dark and disturbing. Norwich has long been a creative centre where such productions began their life.

What makes a city a literary giant? According to Unesco, it takes a rare and rarified combination of editorial initiatives and educational programmes, lashings of libraries, bookstores and cultural centres, plus a vibrant literary event scene. In short, it’s the extent to which literature plays an integral role in the urban environment and the only two cities in England to have earned the status so far are Norwich in 2012 and Nottingham in 2015. There are 20 currently around the world. Why is it that we seem to have a plethora of 'best city for this', 'world cultural capital for that', 'city with the best theatres' etc? The more 'lists' there are the more diluted the reading experience. I find it all rather tedious and a sort of 'dumming down' of things to read about. Is it partly because lists are easier to digest when there is an inxorable move toward on line reading over print? I think so. I am completely and utterly bored and I am sure, also, are most of you.

Real authors like Malcolm Bradbury do interest me though and he started a degree course at the University of East Anglia at Norwich called an MA in Creative Writing. From that course some of the best modern day writings have emerged in print and on our screens. Ian McEwan and Kazuo Ishiguro took that course and became superb writers and novelists in their own right. Among many well known novels Ishiguro wrote such as 'The Remains of the Day' , in 1989, which went on to become award winning films with an all star cast including Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson with screenplay by Harold Pinter. Ishiguro, born in Japan but raised in the UK also wrote that disturbing novel 'Never Let Me Go' . It was positively received and a master of writing. McEwan is well known for writing 'Atonement', also adapted for the big screen and again starring Kinghtly, as well as Enduring Love with Daniel Craig and Bill Nighy. Both authors have been highly decorated in their careers to date. Malcolm Bradbury, who passed away in Norwich in 2000 at the tender age of 68 was not a prolific novelist but he left an indelible mark on the literary world not least because of his course at the UEA in Norwich. He published Possibilities: Essays on the State of the Novel in 1973, The History Man in 1975, Who Do You Think You Are? in 1976, Rates of Exchange in 1983 and Cuts: A Very Short Novel in 1987. Some of his works made it to the big screen as well as adaptations for TV the most famous of which was The History Man which was broadcast by the BBC as a four-part serial in 1981. It starred Antony Sher as Howard Kirk and Geraldine James as his wife Barbara; Isla Blair played Flora Beniform. Exteriors for the series were shot at the University of Lancaster and in Bristol.

image.thumb.png.0f5ff543d6d5cd74a15aa1cfac0f556b.png

This was the cover for his book 'The History Man'. It shows a dog buried up to its neck in an unidentifiable mass. It was painted by Francisco Goya between 1820 and 1823 directly on to the wall of his house. The dog is gazing upward perhaps in awe, waiting for the right moment, or wishing he could scale the height but can't. Sometimes City fans must feel that way; usually being thwarted, time and again, in our desire to reach greater success. The painting, part of Goya's 'dark period' after suffering two life threatening illnesses, was never meant for public display but today sits in The Prado Museum in Madrid as one of 14 he originally painted on the walls of Quinta del Sordo, his last home. 

Manuel Mena, Curator at the Prado, claimed: "There is not a single contemporary painter in the world that does not pray in front of The Dog" so named was the painting by the museum. It was revered by the likes of Picasso and Miró and Rafael Canogar referred to it as a "visual poem" and cited it as the first Symbolist painting of the Western world. Spanish painter Antonio Saura thought The Dog "the world's most beautiful picture". 

Nobody appreciates something that comes easy as much as something achieved through toil and sweat. I too appreciate that 'image' of this dog, of 'the dog'. It seems to encapsulate life in general. At times the 'unidentifiable mass' that the dog is engulfed in might seem like quick sand where one feels the sensation of drowning and helplessness and, at others, perhaps water that one can wade through with relative ease. Either way one should never expect life to be impossible or easy. But the dog seems transfixed and determined. I think that is what is so compelling with this painting and I like to think this is how City are this season. Nothing is going to stop them looking forward, working hard, taking the plaudits, enjoying it and just repeating it week in and week out. 

Have a closer look.

image.png.da7fc0d07dd56feca6d2065ce950d933.png

Bit like Noble after he scored that goal against Palace in the semi final of the play offs; I remember an image of him looking up. 

Whoever goes to Norwich today deserves a medal. 480 miles round trip. That is some commitment and some cost. Well done all of you and have a great day. Bring back the 3 points. :)

But did anyone from Norwich write a book about the CSF ? 

I rest my case , Second rate literary City .  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
39 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Remember the film 'Never Let Me Go' ? I always wanted to see it simply because it had a scene on Clevedon beach and the Pier. The rest of it, while well acted and starring Keira Knightly and Charlotte Rampling, I found dark and disturbing. Norwich has long been a creative centre where such productions began their life.

What makes a city a literary giant? According to Unesco, it takes a rare and rarified combination of editorial initiatives and educational programmes, lashings of libraries, bookstores and cultural centres, plus a vibrant literary event scene. In short, it’s the extent to which literature plays an integral role in the urban environment and the only two cities in England to have earned the status so far are Norwich in 2012 and Nottingham in 2015. There are 20 currently around the world. Why is it that we seem to have a plethora of 'best city for this', 'world cultural capital for that', 'city with the best theatres' etc? The more 'lists' there are the more diluted the reading experience. I find it all rather tedious and a sort of 'dumming down' of things to read about. Is it partly because lists are easier to digest when there is an inxorable move toward on line reading over print? I think so. I am completely and utterly bored and I am sure, also, are most of you.

Real authors like Malcolm Bradbury do interest me though and he started a degree course at the University of East Anglia at Norwich called an MA in Creative Writing. From that course some of the best modern day writings have emerged in print and on our screens. Ian McEwan and Kazuo Ishiguro took that course and became superb writers and novelists in their own right. Among many well known novels Ishiguro wrote such as 'The Remains of the Day' , in 1989, which went on to become award winning films with an all star cast including Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson with screenplay by Harold Pinter. Ishiguro, born in Japan but raised in the UK also wrote that disturbing novel 'Never Let Me Go' . It was positively received and a master of writing. McEwan is well known for writing 'Atonement', also adapted for the big screen and again starring Kinghtly, as well as Enduring Love with Daniel Craig and Bill Nighy. Both authors have been highly decorated in their careers to date. Malcolm Bradbury, who passed away in Norwich in 2000 at the tender age of 68 was not a prolific novelist but he left an indelible mark on the literary world not least because of his course at the UEA in Norwich. He published Possibilities: Essays on the State of the Novel in 1973, The History Man in 1975, Who Do You Think You Are? in 1976, Rates of Exchange in 1983 and Cuts: A Very Short Novel in 1987. Some of his works made it to the big screen as well as adaptations for TV the most famous of which was The History Man which was broadcast by the BBC as a four-part serial in 1981. It starred Antony Sher as Howard Kirk and Geraldine James as his wife Barbara; Isla Blair played Flora Beniform. Exteriors for the series were shot at the University of Lancaster and in Bristol.

This was the cover for his book 'The History Man'. It shows a dog buried up to its neck in an unidentifiable mass. It was painted by Francisco Goya between 1820 and 1823 directly on to the wall of his house. The dog is gazing upward perhaps in awe, waiting for the right moment, or wishing he could scale the height but can't. Sometimes City fans must feel that way; usually being thwarted, time and again, in our desire to reach greater success. The painting, part of Goya's 'dark period' after suffering two life threatening illnesses, was never meant for public display but today sits in The Prado Museum in Madrid as one of 14 he originally painted on the walls of Quinta del Sordo, his last home. 

Manuel Mena, Curator at the Prado, claimed: "There is not a single contemporary painter in the world that does not pray in front of The Dog" so named was the painting by the museum. It was revered by the likes of Picasso and Miró and Rafael Canogar referred to it as a "visual poem" and cited it as the first Symbolist painting of the Western world. Spanish painter Antonio Saura thought The Dog "the world's most beautiful picture". 

Nobody appreciates something that comes easy as much as something achieved through toil and sweat. I too appreciate that 'image' of this dog, of 'the dog'. It seems to encapsulate life in general. At times the 'unidentifiable mass' that the dog is engulfed in might seem like quick sand where one feels the sensation of drowning and helplessness and, at others, perhaps water that one can wade through with relative ease. Either way one should never expect life to be impossible or easy. But the dog seems transfixed and determined. I think that is what is so compelling with this painting and I like to think this is how City are this season. Nothing is going to stop them looking forward, working hard, taking the plaudits, enjoying it and just repeating it week in and week out. 

Have a closer look.

Bit like Noble after he scored that goal against Palace in the semi final of the play offs; I remember an image of him looking up. 

Whoever goes to Norwich today deserves a medal. 480 miles round trip. That is some commitment and some cost. Well done all of you and have a great day. Bring back the 3 points. :)

Condensed version

Norwich

A dark and disturbing place brightened up by Keira Knightly.

1-0 City

Edited by BigTone
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Normally this would be a game that we expect to lose but the current form has got us all a bit giddy. 

I guess we'll see just how potent our momentum is right now.

You can guarantee that a win would get us all talking about the Premiership etc etc. 

Perhaps a drab 1-0 defeat is more likely and would put our hopes in check? I really don't know...

I'll sit on the fence and predict 1-1.

Just in passing, they used my then block of flats in Royal Park Clifton for some of the filming of The History Man, which was bloody inconvenient at the time, but gave us a bit of notoriety when the serial became so popular.  It was from there that I walked down to Ashton Gate for many a top tier match between 1976 and 1980, memorably being locked out by my flatmate (who was from Liverpool) after we beat said League Champions in 1977...

Looking forward to picking up some points today!

• Like 2

Think we might see our 2nd defeat of the season today. A very tough game but I’m not sure if I’m remembering this correctly but when we lost 1-0 to them last season Johnson said something along the lines about “HIS team not being quite enough ready to take anything at these sort of grounds but in 12 months they will be” I’m sure someone can find the proper quote but it will be amazing to see if we can get something here today! 

Come on you reds! 

1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

Have a closer look.

Wow, what a wonderful read for a Saturday morning, and such an interesting take on the MDT. So poignant for me personally, as I struggle to save for uni fees etc and feel so stuck in a job I am beginning to despise. I might have to buy a print of this painting or just go to Madrid, and buy some more books…

Hope everyone travelling to Norwich have a good day and safe travels…and City collect 3 points!

Great film "Remains of the Day", filmed locally in Bath, Clevedon, Weston Super Mare, and that pub in that village that I can't remember he name of…

Edited by exAtyeoMax
1 hour ago, chinapig said:

Havanatopia, you have set the bar higher than ever with this week's effort. Bloody brilliant. :clap:

I don't know about Norwich's claim to being a city of culture and literary excellence, but to the list of Bristol's notable contributors to the arts - , Banksy, Massive Attack, Adge Cutler, JK Rowling ( Yate counts?), Cary Grant, John Cleese ( for W-S-M  see Yate) and Damian Hirst perhaps we should be adding Havana's name? 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Offside said:

Our recent form is giving me cause for optimism, which in turn worries me because every time I feel optimistic about a game we lose.

I reckon a draw. Safe journey to all those travelling. COYR

Simple solution.

Read some of Thatch35's posts and you will her bathed in a glow of healthy pessimism, which should counteract the effects of optimism. 

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I don't know about Norwich's claim to being a city of culture and literary excellence, but to the list of Bristol's notable contributors to the arts - , Banksy, Massive Attack, Adge Cutler, JK Rowling ( Yate counts?), Cary Grant, John Cleese ( for W-S-M  see Yate) and Damian Hirst perhaps we should be adding Havana's name? 

Plus Stoney Garnet

Well done @havanatopia, you managed to write an enthralling into without mentioning Delia Smith CH CBE, to give her her full title. However I've been thinking about this and come to the conclusion Delia Smith = cooking = food for thought = I've thought about it and it's 3-1 to City. Get your bets on now

2 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Plus Stoney Garnet

Well done @havanatopia, you managed to write an enthralling into without mentioning Delia Smith CH CBE, to give her her full title. However I've been thinking about this and come to the conclusion Delia Smith = cooking = food for thought = I've thought about it and it's 3-1 to City. Get your bets on now

Your right Pongo - he did.

Let's be havin' you Havana!!!!

• Haha 1