IGNORED

The Official Norwich City v Bristol City Match Day Thread 9

4 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Before the away games at Reading, Wolves and Norwich I suspect most fans were pretty  pessimistic and would have been delighted if we came away with 2/3 points from all 3 games.

The fact that we gained 4 points from the first 2 means that even if we lose today we have already done far better than most expected.

Perhaps it is a sign of the teams growing confidence and level of performance and fans optimism and expectation  that most will now be disappointed if we draw, let alone lose, today

Normally I would say our worst enemy would be ourselves, but I think having players waiting to drop into any position will stop complacency setting in.

17 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

The way we are playing with a pretty settled team means anything can happen.  We need to convert those scoring chances we are missing though.  Not saying we have not been scoring enough, but we are missing a lot too.

I think we can come home with 3 points today and the Canaries are not looking that great with a goal difference of-4 this season.  Also Oliviera is out for them as well, so hard to see where they will be getting their goals from.

They`ve got a few out looking at their forum, Martin & Naismith definitely, Maddison possibly and it appears touch and go if Hoolahan will be fit.

They say some nice things about Korey on there too.

2 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Wow, what a wonderful read for a Saturday morning, and such an interesting take on the MDT. So poignant for me personally, as I struggle to save for uni fees etc and feel so stuck in a job I am beginning to despise. I might have to buy a print of this painting or just go to Madrid, and buy some more books…

Hope everyone travelling to Norwich have a good day and safe travels…and City collect 3 points!

Great film "Remains of the Day", filmed locally in Bath, Clevedon, Weston Super Mare, and that pub in that village that I can't remember he name of…

The Hop Pole, Limpley Stoke, or was that a different film?

Scenes for The Remains of the Day were filmed at Corsham Court and Dyrham Park, so maybe the pub in question was closer to them.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Remember the film 'Never Let Me Go' ? I always wanted to see it simply because it had a scene on Clevedon beach and the Pier. The rest of it, while well acted and starring Keira Knightly and Charlotte Rampling, I found dark and disturbing. Norwich has long been a creative centre where such productions began their life.

What makes a city a literary giant? According to Unesco, it takes a rare and rarified combination of editorial initiatives and educational programmes, lashings of libraries, bookstores and cultural centres, plus a vibrant literary event scene. In short, it’s the extent to which literature plays an integral role in the urban environment and the only two cities in England to have earned the status so far are Norwich in 2012 and Nottingham in 2015. There are 20 currently around the world. Why is it that we seem to have a plethora of 'best city for this', 'world cultural capital for that', 'city with the best theatres' etc? The more 'lists' there are the more diluted the reading experience. I find it all rather tedious and a sort of 'dumming down' of things to read about. Is it partly because lists are easier to digest when there is an inxorable move toward on line reading over print? I think so. I am completely and utterly bored and I am sure, also, are most of you.

Real authors like Malcolm Bradbury do interest me though and he started a degree course at the University of East Anglia at Norwich called an MA in Creative Writing. From that course some of the best modern day writings have emerged in print and on our screens. Ian McEwan and Kazuo Ishiguro took that course and became superb writers and novelists in their own right. Among many well known novels Ishiguro wrote such as 'The Remains of the Day' , in 1989, which went on to become award winning films with an all star cast including Anthony Hopkins and Emma Thompson with screenplay by Harold Pinter. Ishiguro, born in Japan but raised in the UK also wrote that disturbing novel 'Never Let Me Go' . It was positively received and a master of writing. McEwan is well known for writing 'Atonement', also adapted for the big screen and again starring Kinghtly, as well as Enduring Love with Daniel Craig and Bill Nighy. Both authors have been highly decorated in their careers to date. Malcolm Bradbury, who passed away in Norwich in 2000 at the tender age of 68 was not a prolific novelist but he left an indelible mark on the literary world not least because of his course at the UEA in Norwich. He published Possibilities: Essays on the State of the Novel in 1973, The History Man in 1975, Who Do You Think You Are? in 1976, Rates of Exchange in 1983 and Cuts: A Very Short Novel in 1987. Some of his works made it to the big screen as well as adaptations for TV the most famous of which was The History Man which was broadcast by the BBC as a four-part serial in 1981. It starred Antony Sher as Howard Kirk and Geraldine James as his wife Barbara; Isla Blair played Flora Beniform. Exteriors for the series were shot at the University of Lancaster and in Bristol.

image.thumb.png.0f5ff543d6d5cd74a15aa1cfac0f556b.png

This was the cover for his book 'The History Man'. It shows a dog buried up to its neck in an unidentifiable mass. It was painted by Francisco Goya between 1820 and 1823 directly on to the wall of his house. The dog is gazing upward perhaps in awe, waiting for the right moment, or wishing he could scale the height but can't. Sometimes City fans must feel that way; usually being thwarted, time and again, in our desire to reach greater success. The painting, part of Goya's 'dark period' after suffering two life threatening illnesses, was never meant for public display but today sits in The Prado Museum in Madrid as one of 14 he originally painted on the walls of Quinta del Sordo, his last home. 

Manuel Mena, Curator at the Prado, claimed: "There is not a single contemporary painter in the world that does not pray in front of The Dog" so named was the painting by the museum. It was revered by the likes of Picasso and Miró and Rafael Canogar referred to it as a "visual poem" and cited it as the first Symbolist painting of the Western world. Spanish painter Antonio Saura thought The Dog "the world's most beautiful picture". 

Nobody appreciates something that comes easy as much as something achieved through toil and sweat. I too appreciate that 'image' of this dog, of 'the dog'. It seems to encapsulate life in general. At times the 'unidentifiable mass' that the dog is engulfed in might seem like quick sand where one feels the sensation of drowning and helplessness and, at others, perhaps water that one can wade through with relative ease. Either way one should never expect life to be impossible or easy. But the dog seems transfixed and determined. I think that is what is so compelling with this painting and I like to think this is how City are this season. Nothing is going to stop them looking forward, working hard, taking the plaudits, enjoying it and just repeating it week in and week out. 

Have a closer look.

image.png.da7fc0d07dd56feca6d2065ce950d933.png

Bit like Noble after he scored that goal against Palace in the semi final of the play offs; I remember an image of him looking up. 

Whoever goes to Norwich today deserves a medal. 480 miles round trip. That is some commitment and some cost. Well done all of you and have a great day. Bring back the 3 points. :)

No mention of Nicholas Parsons, Peter Fenn, or The Quiz of The Week. What a let down.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

Lets just hope we don`t go into meltdown on here if we do get beaten badly. Norwich as far as I can see are the sort of side that we`ll either beat narrowly or lose by a few to.

Funny, I think we will tonk them right and proper or very narrowly lose. 

4 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

No mention of Nicholas Parsons, Peter Fenn, or The Quiz of The Week. What a let down.

Read the archives u lazy rascal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Aizoon said:

Decent pub, that.

Indeed it is, though some of the older and more interesting pub memorabilia has gone.

Make a point of patronising it if you're in the area, it was in danger of closing down permanently about a year ago.

Now re opened, but will only stay that way with support.

That's The Hop Pole Inn, Limpley Stoke, for any pub buffs reading the forum.

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

The Hop Pole, Limpley Stoke, or was that a different film?

Scenes for The Remains of the Day were filmed at Corsham Court and Dyrham Park, so maybe the pub in question was closer to them.

Thinking about it, it might have been the one at Norton St Philip…or I could be thinking of completely the wrong one. It was Tudor type pub, I think. 

4 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Thinking about it, it might have been the one at Norton St Philip…or I could be thinking of completely the wrong one. It was Tudor type pub, I think. 

The Tudor pub would be the George at Norton St. Philip.

Here's the Hop Pole, and they also filmed at the Post Office opposite.

Image result for THe Hop Pole Inn, Limpley Stoke

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

looks like a lovely pub, nice Courage sign too! 

It is, a really historic old pub and it would be a disaster if it closed.

If you're ever heading down Brassknocker Hill, take the 1st left at the bottom heading for Bradford on Avon, and turn right just before the railway bridge, to Limpley Stoke.

Can't miss The Hop Pole, and well worth a visit.

• Like 1

Norwich have to be the favourites but we have had tough games on paper at Reading and Wolves and emerged with four points. I would be very happy with a point and bloody ecstatic with a win. I had a poor night's sleep and am feeling a bit under the weather so I hope it is an entertaining enough game to stop me falling asleep in my seat! I'm going for a 2-2 draw...

• Like 1