IGNORED

Looking back and looking forward

Jerseybean

Be interested in others thoughts on how things are today when compared with this time last season.

On 24th September 2016 we were 10th in the table with14 points from nine games and at that time Norwich were top with 20 points. Following today's game we are 8th (again with 14 points) and Norwich are 12th  with both teams having played nine games.

While it could be argued that the only thing that really counts is where we are in the league; today we are six points behind the league leaders which is exactly the same as this time last season, however, there is, in my opinion, much to celebrate today compared with this time last season. 

Including:

• We have a much stronger squad with competition for every position
  • Some of the younger players are closer to coming-of-age as established players
  • We are continuing to follow a sustainable and sensible approach which makes financial sense
  • Ashton Gate is a superb stadium and the teething problems are getting addressed
  • The atmosphere and noise in the ground is good, with the singing section making a great contribution
  • Our manager had a huge learning opportunity last season
  • After nine games we've lost once
  • The spirit and attitude on and off the pitch appears to be very positive 
  • We are enjoying a decent cup run and so far have defeated two Premiership teams
  • The style of play is attractive and exciting to watch
  • There is a real sense of optimism among everyone associated with the club
  • We are strong and well organised defensively
  • We have potential goal-scorers throughout the squad

While it's always great to support Bristol City, right now is a particularly good time to be a City fan!

One game at a time. My aim would be 8th to 12th throughout the season. No hint of any flirtation with the bottom six.

Sorry if this sound negative but we are not ready to make a sustained attack on the top six. We need to build our confidence, introduce some of the Under 23's and make ourselves very difficult to beat.

3 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

One game at a time. My aim would be 8th to 12th throughout the season. No hint of any flirtation with the bottom six.

Sorry if this sound negative but we are not ready to make a sustained attack on the top six. We need to build our confidence, introduce some of the Under 23's and make ourselves very difficult to beat.

That's the biggest load of b*llocks I've ever read.

What better way to build up confidence by winning more and more games and challenging for the top six? The "we are not ready to make a push for the top six" nonsense is b*llshit, if our side and manager is good enough we'll go for it.

I remember in the 14/15 pre-season some fans saying "we're not ready to go up yet" :laugh:

10 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Unhh is that not what we have been doing??

Building confidence, not lost in 9, beaten 2 prem teams with a blend of our younger players. It's about sustaining the current form and creating momentum which at the moment is exactly what we are doing.

There is no reason why this squad can't compete for a top 6 place based on the positives we have witnessed so far this season and please don't compare it to last seasons start because things are very different now 

16 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Wow some pretty hard responses to a pretty reasonable post. He is not saying we can't possibly be top six or push on above 8th. He is not saying this is not what we're already doing. Simply being realistic and not getting to carried away yet. We are only 9 games in.

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

One game at a time. My aim would be 8th to 12th throughout the season. 

I understand your reasoning. However if City are in mid table, some Agents (boo, hiss) may suggest to certain players; "You're obviously talented, why not move to a club where you'll win things"?

We just need to keep plugging along at our current rate and we will steadily rise through the table. When everyone can beat everyone the key is consistency in this league. We've only actually won 3 times this season... but because we keep picking up good points we are, like I say, climbing that table. 

14 hours ago, RichardEdd said:

Wow some pretty hard responses to a pretty reasonable post. He is not saying we can't possibly be top six or push on above 8th. He is not saying this is not what we're already doing. Simply being realistic and not getting to carried away yet. We are only 9 games in.

Could the OP please tell us when we can get ' carried away '. ? 

13 hours ago, 22A said:

I understand your reasoning. However if City are in mid table, some Agents (boo, hiss) may suggest to certain players; "You're obviously talented, why not move to a club where you'll win things"?

What has changed here is that the club are no longer naive and they have a list of replacements for the eventuality.

I believe that it is a very good time to be a player at City and those that don't appreciate the moment and prefer to take their chances elsewhere are welcome to leave , to be replaced by hungry , talented players that can improve us .

14 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

I agree with you. 

I was at the two Fulham away games last September and thought how great we looked and I thought we'd do well that season. Then obviously we went through one of the worst patches in our history. 

Now don't get me wrong, like the OP has said we have more depth, our younger players are performing better than ever and we have done well in the cup but I'm still preparing for a few losses in a row. 

If it comes to Feb, we've recruited well and are up there then I'll dare to dream. Right now I'd take mid table with no relegation fears, my misses found my first grey hair yesterday and I'm fully blaming that on last season. 

6 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Could the OP please tell us when we can get ' carried away '. ? 

Major as a City fan of a certain age I’ve learnt it’s best to never ever get carried away...however, each to their own, so please get carried away whenever you fancy.

The OP has summarised the optimism many of us feel right now very well.

Like the OP I'm supporter of  "certain age" and therefore not prone these days to getting over enthusiastic . Bitter experience has taught me that City will ultimately let you down but I plan to enjoy the feel good factor while it lasts.

1 hour ago, Tiree said:

I like this post and it is about time someone posted ALL the positives for being a City fan right now. Some might say the list could also include the points below and that this is just a stab in the eye to those who 7 months ago criticised so persoanlly and foully the owner of our club (are there 3 better ones in the top two flights?), the recruiting team under M.A (are there any better in the top two flights), and of course Lee Johnson (are there 3 better ones in this division?

3 Additional points to the OP; 1. Probably less debt than most if not all clubs in top two divisions (who really knows?), 2. a stadium filling up slowly (any that doubles in size overnight eg Sunderland will fill with 'new blood' who have little realistic expectation and are the ones who leave the ground at half time when the going gets tough, 3. arguably the best time to be a City fan home & away than for 30 years +.

So let's keep it up, accept the run wont last for ever but all get behind the one team in Bristol that can go even further than we are today.

I don't know if these are better - by which criteria would we judge this? - but they must be doing a few things worthy of your consideration:

The owners of Burnley.

The owner of Brighton.

The bloke at Huddersfield. And the bloke at Stoke.

Gibson at Boro.

Whoever owns Preston.

The people owning Ipswich have always struck me as decent sorts. 

Likewise the people at Norwich.

Whoever calls the shots at Burton Albion.

Even the Johnny Foreigners running Leicester and Southampton.

The numbers/betting geezer at Brentford.

The poor chap at Barnsley, currently seriously ill.

Well, you did ask. 

Archived