IGNORED

Terry Cooper : Flashback for the fans.

1960maaan

After Alan Dicks, Joe Jordan,Paul Cheesley and  Kevin Mabbutt next up for Flashback for the fans treatment is Terry Cooper.
I would say our best and my personal favourite manager. Good as a player absolute legend as a manager. Putting money into the cash starved club and running himself into the ground to make us better and keep us alive. The man deserves legendary status as much as anyone , but if you're not sure watch the clip of him crying after we beat Bolton at Wembley to see just how much he cared. Seeing him bombing down the wing aged 40ish , and the story of coming on with an already torn sock so at the first tackle he could complain to the Ref about the bad tackle and show proof . Seeing him nearly dropped off of the stand at Chester when we got promoted from the old 4th division. I love the man for what he did for us. I loved that period in our history, as hard as it was , small hardcore of players and fans , I'm glad I got to see it , and him.

6 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

After Alan Dicks, Joe Jordan,Paul Cheesley and  Kevin Mabbutt next up for Flashback for the fans treatment is Terry Cooper.
I would say our best and my personal favourite manager. Good as a player absolute legend as a manager. Putting money into the cash starved club and running himself into the ground to make us better and keep us alive. The man deserves legendary status as much as anyone , but if you're not sure watch the clip of him crying after we beat Bolton at Wembley to see just how much he cared. Seeing him bombing down the wing aged 40ish , and the story of coming on with an already torn sock so at the first tackle he could complain to the Ref about the bad tackle and show proof . Seeing him nearly dropped off of the stand at Chester when we got promoted from the old 4th division. I love the man for what he did for us. I loved that period in our history, as hard as it was , small hardcore of players and fans , I'm glad I got to see it , and him.

Thanks for posting this. Like you i absolutely love the bloke and the reason i keep banging on about TC having something at the ground named after him.  Proper ledgend

53 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Couldn't agree more. Top, top bloke.

In City's darkest days, TC did so much to foster that feeling of oneness and comreadeship between the club, the players and the fans. For you younger forum members, here's a few lines about TC I wrote a few years later.

The 1982-83 season ended with the club in a mid-table position and Terry Cooper as a Player/Manager. Cooper would normally watch the first half, see where things were going wrong and come on as a second half substitute to sort matters out. Crude maybe, but it certainly worked. Later on Cooper became, perhaps uniquely a Player/Manager/Director! In the 86-87 season Cooper signed Joe Jordan who due to his experience became Player/Coach. and in March 1988 Jordan replaced Cooper as Player/Manager.

1 hour ago, 22A said:

In City's darkest days, TC did so much to foster that feeling of oneness and comreadeship between the club, the players and the fans. For you younger forum members, here's a few lines about TC I wrote a few years later.

The 1982-83 season ended with the club in a mid-table position and Terry Cooper as a Player/Manager. Cooper would normally watch the first half, see where things were going wrong and come on as a second half substitute to sort matters out. Crude maybe, but it certainly worked. Later on Cooper became, perhaps uniquely a Player/Manager/Director! In the 86-87 season Cooper signed Joe Jordan who due to his experience became Player/Coach. and in March 1988 Jordan replaced Cooper as Player/Manager.

I started watching City regularly in Feb '83 so TC was my first manager. We were really rock bottom back then, young kids and old men...but it was great. And yes I was on the terraces at Reading too. Terry saved Reading from being totally wrecked, what a man he truly walked on water. I would love him to be recognised. I would love to meet him and thank him for being one of the reasons I got hooked on this club.

17 minutes ago, kivsy said:

Any.one knows where he lives, how is health is these days ?   A while back he wasn't well.   Hope he's better now.   I am a tight git with money , however I would willingly pay for the guy to watch a a game this season     !! 

I think he lives in Spain now and last I heard his health wasn`t too good.

I remember renewing my season ticket and one for my father in the "dark days" Then you had to go to the little office at the back of the Williams stand.  After I paid I was asked if I wanted to come in and meet TC. I was taken to his office where another supporter had been offered the same.  Great welcome, talked to us about his vision for the club, young players, hard work etc etc. Then took us to see the gym, treatment room, up the tunnel on to the pitch and out to the centre spot.

Absolute gent, will always remember that day.

2 hours ago, swanker said:

Remember him coming onto the terraces at Reading trying to calm the fans down when the game stopped because of crowd trouble. Great manager and a fantastic day out. 

The very first time I got nicked me and a certain mr g......r....what a day that was going off all around the ground!!the very last time I went to a city reading game..

1 hour ago, swanker said:

And he signed Alan Walsh for something like £18.000 I think. Cheap at half the price!

Clive Middlemas and TC drove to Darlington  in a van and physically moved Walshy down here as well. Great seeing the highlights of the FR final again.  The ball boy who pats Glyn Riley on the back after the third goal is a mate of mine who i went to school with and played football with in later years. He was on City's books at the time. Happy days

7 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Clive Middlemas and TC drove to Darlington  in a van and physically moved Walshy down here as well. Great seeing the highlights of the FR final again.  The ball boy who pats Glyn Riley on the back after the third goal is a mate of mine who i went to school with and played football with in later years. He was on City's books at the time. Happy days

Did TC actually sign Glyn too or did he arrive slightly before him?

4 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I wouldn`t mind seeing a list of TC signings, there`s some real city greats on it I reckon.

Can't remember if he signed Riley but he built a very good side . Was always a big un/ little un with most sides  but we played some lovely football with Riley and Steve Neville up top

3 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Can't remember if he signed Riley but he built a very good side . Was always a big un/ little un with most sides  but we played some lovely football with Riley and Steve Neville up top

Indeed we did - if I really think about I reckon that was my favourite time as a City fan, it just all seemed so much fun. I was thirty years younger mind!

4 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Indeed we did - if I really think about I reckon that was my favourite time as a City fan, it just all seemed so much fun. I was thirty years younger mind!

Definitely my favorite time as a City fan. From the mess we were in, then getting promoted and Wembley was surreal really.  Holes in the east end roof with rain coming through them. The old open air toilets at the grandstand end of the east end overflowing with piss :laughcont: and we moan about todays football. Like you say 30 odd years ago and we were all in it together as a club. Being a teenager at the time it just seemed like a laugh.

58 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

One of TC's first signings I believe. Other early signings would have included Alan Crawford, Forbes Phillipson Masters and bringing Tom Ritchie back.

The season after Trevor Morgan, Howard Pritchard, Keith Curle,Bruce Halliday,Kenny Stroud, Martyn Hurst of course.

Could be wrong, it was 35 years ago!!

Proper legend mind Coops.

15 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Can't believe the Club have dismissed the idea of naming a bar after him

To be fair I can see their point. I drink in the Coopers pre-match cloud get a tad confusing ;)

Seriously, a bar should be the least of it, surely there are enough new corporate bars, boxes , rooms or areas to make a small gesture that could mean so much.

My favourite manager and an unsung hero of this club.who knows where city would have been without him.

Gave his all for city all on a shoestring budget.

Some of my happiest times were supporting city then.

Gates went down to 4,000 but there was a great spirit amongst players and fans.

Chester away was the start of the comeback for city.great away game great memories

Archived