IGNORED

Belief.......Ooooh That Feels Nice

12 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Sorry, I must have misunderstood. I can take offence if it makes it easier?

For what's it worth though, I don't buy this 'it was only 11/12 bad games' myth.

It's not a myth. It's fact. 

Bar the one bad run, we have been in good form under LJ either side of that, for the whole time that he had been here. 

Let me break it down for you, to dispel the myth, that it's a myth..!

Feb-May 2016 - good form that took us from relegation "likely" to a comfortable finish. 

Aug-Oct 2016 - A good start to the season. Almost identical to this season, in fact. 

Oct 2016-Feb 2017 - The bad period. 

Feb-May 2017 - A good recovery to finish the season strongly and get ourselves out of the trouble that the bad period created.

Aug-Oct 2017 - A good start to the season with many positive aspects that appear an improvement on last seasons good start.

4 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Bar the one bad run, we have been in good form under LJ either side of that, for the whole time that he had been here. 

Feb-May 2016 - good form that took us from relegation "likely" to a comfortable finish. 

Aug-Oct 2016 - A good start to the season. Almost identical to this season, in fact. 

Feb-May 2017 - A good recovery to finish the season strongly and get ourselves out of the trouble that the bad period created.

Aug-Oct 2017 - A good start to the season with many positive aspects that appear an improvement on last seasons good start.

It's okay to have different views on a set statistics.

I like the way you care, it's reassuring.

2 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Well said 054123 - let's have a quick look at  what you were "believing" a few months back:

"He's the manager. This is his fault. Every last bit. This is all of his making. Bored of listening to him talk as if it's out of his control. He's the ******* manager, manage the situation, if you can't, **** off."

I"'m of the opinon that Lansdown has cocked up ever since the January window in 2008. The club has never focused on the football. He has spent money in all the wrong places. 10 years of failure."

"10 years of failure, why is it taking so long for everyone to see it? He's a billionaire and we can't keep out of division 3. He's talks a great game but can't deliver. People think he saved us from something, what?? What would be different if he wasn't here and others were in place? It's just a ******* failure."

"Make no mistake, regardlessof match day support, Lansdown is clueless and Johnson is hopeless. Those two facts are unquestionable based on both mens body of work in their respective roles. Every match as seen brilliant support, but the above is undeniable true."

"Don't get me wrong, the sad realisation of our complete lack footballing direction, leadership or mamagement that this season has brought, has killed me inside".

Glad you're feeling better :thumbsup:

Tis better for one sinner who repenteth than for a camel to go through the eye of a needle -or something like that!

Anyway, dodgy ecclesiasticals aside, it's nice to see this positivity.  I think the team on the pitch somehow pucks up on the positive vibes and belief from most of the crowd.

27 minutes ago, 054123 said:

It's okay to have different views on a set statistics.

I like the way you care, it's reassuring.

I don't care about you in the slightest. I'm just pointing out that you are wrong. 

It's not even subjective. It's fact. 

We've had 4 good spells under LJ, compared to 1 bad spell. 

3 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I don't care about you in the slightest. I'm just pointing out that you are wrong. 

It's not even subjective. It's fact. 

We've had 4 good spells under LJ, compared to 1 bad spell. 

Well now you're just being mean.

But to be honest I meant it was reassuring that cared about those different statistics.

20 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Tis better for one sinner who repenteth than for a camel to go through the eye of a needle -or something like that!

Anyway, dodgy ecclesiasticals aside, it's nice to see this positivity.  I think the team on the pitch somehow pucks up on the positive vibes and belief from most of the crowd.

Nobody has a problem with the positivity now. It's the disproportionate negativity that rears its head after a few bed results!

• Admin
31 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

In February 2016 I entered into a new relationship. Things started off pretty well and was far more enjoyable than the last few months of my previous one. 

Things carried on being great for about 8 months but then they started to treat me pretty badly for 3 months! 

I considered ending things then but they promised me that they'd improve and to be fair over the next few months things did get a bit better. 

Since the summer things have been fantastic between us and I have huge hopes for the future but it will still take me a while to completely forget those turbulent 3 months. 

26 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

My one grudge that i still need to let go is that my frustration was not born of 'couple of bad results' as others have posted but just struggling season after season after season.

Unbeknownst to me it turns out it was all actually alright.

6 minutes ago, Ian M said:

In February 2016 I entered into a new relationship. Things started off pretty well and was far more enjoyable than the last few months of my previous one. 

Things carried on being great for about 8 months but then they started to treat me pretty badly for 3 months! 

I considered ending things then but they promised me that they'd improve and to be fair over the next few months things did get a bit better. 

Since the summer things have been fantastic between us and I have huge hopes for the future but it will still take me a while to completely forget those turbulent 3 months. 

Good analogy and I don't think those turbulent few months should be forgotten. They should be used as a reminder of how things can change if the home life balance is disrupted by an irritating lodger, amongst other things. 

Now that they've moved out and things are more harmonious, I hope your relationship continues to flourish. Just don't overreact to every little blip that you face along the way. 

10 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Nobody has a problem with the positivity now. It's the disproportionate negativity that rears its head after a few bed results!

Last post. Promise.

Who was upset after 'a few bad results?

I know lots of people though who grew slowly more frustrated by the downward spiral from 2007 onwards though.

3 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Indeed. We will lose matches. We could even lose surprising ones. What we have now is a knowledge that we can get back on track soon.

2 minutes ago, 054123 said:

My one grudge that i still need to let go is that my frustration was not born of 'couple of bad results' as others have posted but just struggling season after season after season.

Unbeknownst to me it turns out it was all actually alright.

Season after season after season..? 

Were you in a coma between Aug 2014-May 2015..?

3 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Last post. Promise.

Who was upset after 'a few bad results?

I know lots of people though who grew slowly more frustrated by the downward spiral from 2007 onwards though.

The downward spiral that sees us higher placed on the pitch than in 2008 and light years ahead of then, off the pitch..?! 

Mid people need plain sailing to not start sulking then I'd suggest they are following the wrong sport. Certainly the wrong team! 

Perhaps they should ask the likes of Portsmouth & Blackpool fans what a downward spiral is..! 

9 minutes ago, RedDave said:

How old are you?  Genuine question.  I feel you are quite young and havent suffered what feels like a life time of false dawns since the mid 80s

Of course I have! I just don't see the benefit whinging like a spoilt child about it when we have a bad spell. 

I'm 38 and I've been going since 1989, so I didn't have to cope with the mid 80's. I've seen many false dawns in my time. 

None, I hope, have seemed to have as much substance as the one we hope that awaits us right now..! 

9 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Of course I have! I just don't see the benefit whinging like a spoilt child about it when we have a bad spell. 

I'm 38 and I've been going since 1989, so I didn't have to cope with the mid 80's. I've seen many false dawns in my time. 

None, I hope, have seemed to have as much substance as the one we hope that awaits us right now..! 

Fair enough.  

Each to their own so dont mind people moaning.

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

I wouldn't take it as a compliment..!

It's people with these completely OTT reactions, be they good or bad, that cause a decay within the club and split the support base. 

Perhaps it should simply serve as a lesson to take a more measured view of things and take a look at the bigger picture. 

I don't buy this "it's been 2 ban years" myth. 

In fact, since LJ has been here, we have only really had one bad run, lasting about 10/12 games. All other times he has had us in pretty much play off challenging form, or better! 

I'm pretty sure even you came to the end of your tether last season. I maybe wrong but you even said that you were struggling to see anything but sacking Johnson? As I said I maybe wrong.

That being said, who could blame anyone for thinking that. A club record losing streak, two wins in 23 ( or along those lines) . People said they could see what Johnson was trying to achieve. Well I for one didn't have a clue, the football was awful, even when we were winning at the start. Constant changes, publicly slating players. It really was an awful time to be a City fan. Now that said, lessons seem to be have been learnt, bag eggs shipped out and we really are playing some really good football. Hell we even have a really strong squad.

I'm not yet going to blow smoke up his ass just yet, and suggest a new contract but things really have improved massively. We look solid, we look a threat going forward and there seems to be a real togetherness in the squad. I don't think I've seen a team work so hard for each other like we did at Wolves. Let's keep going and see where it takes us, as if we carry on like this there's no reason why we can't trouble the top 6.

1 hour ago, BCFC Grim said:

I'm pretty sure even you came to the end of your tether last season. I maybe wrong but you even said that you were struggling to see anything but sacking Johnson? As I said I maybe wrong.

That being said, who could blame anyone for thinking that. A club record losing streak, two wins in 23 ( or along those lines) . People said they could see what Johnson was trying to achieve. Well I for one didn't have a clue, the football was awful, even when we were winning at the start. Constant changes, publicly slating players. It really was an awful time to be a City fan. Now that said, lessons seem to be have been learnt, bag eggs shipped out and we really are playing some really good football. Hell we even have a really strong squad.

I'm not yet going to blow smoke up his ass just yet, and suggest a new contract but things really have improved massively. We look solid, we look a threat going forward and there seems to be a real togetherness in the squad. I don't think I've seen a team work so hard for each other like we did at Wolves. Let's keep going and see where it takes us, as if we carry on like this there's no reason why we can't trouble the top 6.

I was never in the "LJ out" camp. I hoped and believed that he could turn things around. Of course, it got to the stage where there wasn't much more that I could do to fight his corner, the longer the results kept going against us. It became very hard to defend against those who wanted him gone, other than in my own mind. 

I think, thankfully, now that most people can see the benefit of having had some stability for a period of time. So, now we have come out the other side of that bad period to show real signs of progession, hopefully it will mean supporters have a little bit more faith having seen it turned around in the past. 

I think we are in a really good place right now. Where that might lead, who knows. But we finally look like we belong in this division and are able to compete, hopefully up in the top half. 

4 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

So which came first? - the positivity of the squad infected the fans or the positivity of the fans infected the squad. IMHO- neither has changed that much- the fans were amazing last season considering the results.... it's just on OTIB that negativity reigned supreme and was not broadly reflected at BS3 yet on here things are shifting for the time being. Hallelujah.

And as it's Sunday:

In the same way, I tell you that there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous ones who do not need to repent.  Luke 15:7

It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God.” Mark 10:25

I remain righteous whilst SL is doomed.

4 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

So which came first? - the positivity of the squad infected the fans or the positivity of the fans infected the squad. IMHO- neither has changed that much- the fans were amazing last season considering the results.... it's just on OTIB that negativity reigned supreme and was not broadly reflected at BS3 yet on here things are shifting for the time being. Hallelujah.

And as it's Sunday:

In the same way, I tell you that there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous ones who do not need to repent.  Luke 15:7

It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of God.” Mark 10:25

Camels are a lot smaller these days and they do make some very big needles.

1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

And as it's Sunday:

I doubt he wants to enter a camel. That Wael however..... :whistle:;)

7 hours ago, Alessandro said:

It is posts like this that 'scare' me. People who swing from one end of the spectrum to another, inevitably quickly swing back.

OTIB is on a kind of knife edge at the moment. I'm sure others feel it. Will we keep up this form, or will we fall away, again.....then.......

Don't get me wrong, i'm positive about the start, and felt positive about this season in the summer, but I think some people are beginning to get too carried away.

If you read the opinions of some, we've gone from 'one of the lowest points as a club, no direction, a owner who only appoints his mates, who happens to be the worse manager in our history, whose Dad is interfering with our club and a squad of players who want to leave' etc etc etc to literally only a few months later 'having the most exciting and unified squad we've had for as long as many can remember, and an exciting, ever learning young manager who has given us a clear style and is the "real deal", oh and thanks to our owner for having the balls and vision, and money, now we have a real chance to do something in this league' etc etc etc.

How is that possible? In a few months.

Anyway, I guess what i'm saying is - expectation, and a dose of level headedness right now. Because, what I see, is slowly, slowly, post by post, expectations rising this season. And rising too quickly IMO. 

We've quickly gone from "i'd take fourth from bottom this season now with LJ in charge" to "i'd be happy mid-table" to "we should kick on in this league now" to "we should beat Bolton, no problems"......which will inevitably turn into talk about the playoffs and all of a sudden not finishing in the top 6 will be a huge waste, given LJ has spent £25m, after all.

Maybe we should just all enjoy the ride so far, and if we all stay calm when we lose a few, i'll be happy to eat these words.

This is how Sky presents the game, as all or nothing; do or die; black or white. They don't do "meh," or middle of the road (so I understand. I don't have Sky, myself). Sky don't do "level-headed," do they? Can we simply blame Sky sports?

6 hours ago, 054123 said:

Sorry, I must have misunderstood. I can take offence if it makes it easier?

For what's it worth though, I don't buy this 'it was only 11/12 bad games' myth.

Following the 08 heroics, we had two 10th place finishes in the Championship, then:

11/12  struggle against relegation

12/13  relegation

13/14 struggle against relegation (in L1)

14/15 very successful season (in L1)

15/16 struggle against relegation

16/17 struggle against relegation (after a bright start). 

We have had 5 poor seasons in 6. We had a bright start last season, then 11 defeats in 12 and the worst run of defeats in our history. No great surprise that you were a little jaded by it all, and lacking belief in the club.

But we are looking brighter and stronger right now. We are looking the sum of our parts (pretty much all we ask for), maybe a bit more than that. Hats off to SL and LJ for this. 

27 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

And this time last season City were in the same position or better. Nothing has changed really comparing to last season. Hopefully no repeat.

On face value, in terms of points accrued, not really. But you have to look a bit beyond that - our performances are far better, we aren’t overly reliant on one player and the squad is stronger. I also feel LJ is showing signs he’s improved as a manager too.

We are stronger this season. Last season at this time, we did not play well most of the times but scored late Villa home was great second half, 0-1 ht 3-1 ft. Think the whole team looks better know, we are not depending in Tammy or Tomlin. L J and the team have learnt and Im sure we gonna do better this season. Top ten would be great, top six, bonus. One game at the time, so far so good. Brentford the only team that outplayed us, a Lucky draw there, he he. Millwall home one point, not good performance when reding the reports, Bryan, crossbar that game. Ok, two games we where not good but we took points, thats a strenght. Only nine games, seen 4 on BCTV, thinks it look more than ok, Im positive, but Im Always that, he he. COYR!!!

20 hours ago, 054123 said:

All looking very promising now and very exciting.

For the me progress would be establishing ourselves as a good team at this level with potential to kick on. Something we haven't done since Andy Cole was here. 

There is a confidence and a style to us that to my mind gives this group the edge over Gary Johnson's play off team, who for all the positive results, always felt like we were somehow grinding results out through sheer bloody mindedness, with no real long-term plan and the impending realisation that the bubble would burst at any minute.

This feels completely different. 

Our first 2 years back at this level were really not very good (I'll refrain from swraring) littered with some of the worst performances I've seen. You can debate whether Cottrell or Johnson should have been sacked at those times and I feel the body of work presented would have made few eyebrows raise when Cottrell did go and if Johnson would have gone.

I sometimes think we confuse the personal with the material. I liked Lee as a player and am sure he's a nice guy, I don't think it was unfair to question his position during the first 18 months. The same goes for Steve Lansdown. I am truly grateful for his financial commitment but don't think it was unfair to question his tenure over the past 15 years, given all the false dawns and the club's obscurity and failures during the period.

Enough of that now though. Whilst it was fair to question and hold a negative viewpoint of the club during this time (and I certainly don't think apologies are needed for them) the vast majority (myself included) all still believed and hoped, to some extent, as we all still followed and loved the club. I have brainwashed three children during this period, so i must have believed in something!

Lee has been allowed to shape and mould his team since then and this season has created a squad and style that fills me with more comfidence and hope than i have felt in long time. 

Lee Johnson deserves credit and praise for this and whilst I think it's fair to be negative at times, it only has weight if it is objective and balanced be being positive when clearly that is the case.

The other factor this period will bring is time. As Ole has pointed out, yes we had good spells last year in respect of points, but anyone who watched those will know the performances were still poor and there was no sense of progress or a team building for the future.

This is different and this will allow Lee Johnson time and have something to point to that demonstrates what he and the club are trying to achieve.

Credit to Lee Johnson so far, let's hope it keeps going. This difference this year though is that I honestly believe it will.

Belief. Ahhh, it feels nice.

All that happens is that this post will be thrown back in your face when things do eventually go tits up.  

It's an obvious time for posts like this to be made, right when we're doing well and everything.  Who'd have thought?

Supposed 'belief' is easy to express when we're doing well.  

14 hours ago, Thatch35 said:

And this time last season City were in the same position or better. Nothing has changed really comparing to last season. Hopefully no repeat.

Well, the assistant coach has changed. Indeed, there are now two, new, assistant coaches.

And the chief scout has changed.

And then there's the players, a few changes there: Tammy, Tomlin, Freeman, Matthews, Little, Wilbraham, O'Donnell all gone. Replaced by Fam, Leko, Elliasson, Pisano, Woodrow, Steele, and we have Taylor, Baker and Wright too. A few changes there. Moore and Engvall, on the bench at Fulham exactly a year ago, are not involved now. Magnússon was first choice a year ago, now he is back-up.

Bobby Reid has "changed," from the Bobby Reid of a year ago. 

Lee Johnson is a full 12 months more experienced than he was a year ago, and has shown plenty to suggest that he has done some quick learning in that time. He is changed.

The league has changed, with six different clubs in it from last year. Sunderland being a different kettle of fish from Newcastle, for example.

All is change, Thatch, 'tis the only constant in the universe. Heraclitus (now, there's a name to excite a few on here), a Greek philosopher, said: "life is like a river," ever flowing, moving, constantly changing. Everything in the universe changes: Lee Johnson, Bristol City, even Thatch35. 

11 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Well, the assistant coach has changed. Indeed, there are now two, new, assistant coaches.

And the chief scout has changed.

And then there's the players, a few changes there: Tammy, Tomlin, Freeman, Matthews, Little, Wilbraham, O'Donnell all gone. Replaced by Fam, Leko, Elliasson, Pisano, Woodrow, Steele, and we have Taylor, Baker and Wright too. A few changes there. Moore and Engvall, on the bench at Fulham exactly a year ago, are not involved now. Magnússon was first choice a year ago, now he is back-up.

Bobby Reid has "changed," from the Bobby Reid of a year ago. 

Lee Johnson is a full 12 months more experienced than he was a year ago, and has shown plenty to suggest that he has done some quick learning in that time. He is changed.

The league has changed, with six different clubs in it from last year. Sunderland being a different kettle of fish from Newcastle, for example.

All is change, Thatch, 'tis the only constant in the universe. Heraclitus (now, there's a name to excite a few on here), a Greek philosopher, said: "life is like a river," ever flowing, moving, constantly changing. Everything in the universe changes: Lee Johnson, Bristol City, even Thatch35. 

Other than that though...

Archived