IGNORED

Leeds, Wolves, Cardiff?

reddogkev

Early days I know, but are we looking at the winner of the league in this trio of clubs?

If Wolves do go up, serious questions have to be asked about the massive outlay they've spent on players.

Please god, let Cardiff crash and burn soon.

As for Leeds, I just can't see them sustaining their early impressive form, but they are long overdue a return to the top. 

It seems to be a tough one to spot the potential winner of the league this time around - going to be exciting to see it all unfold.

I reckon Wolves and Leeds are going to be the two frontrunners for a while. Cardiff's improvement under Warnock is very impressive but I think they will ultimately drop back into the chasing pack. I think Wednesday, Middlesboro and Villa will push on and challenge too.  But I can easily see the top two staying out in front all season. 

As mad as it sounds I think Leeds will win it. They simply look like they will win every home game and their defence is the best in the League imo. The relegated sides simply have not performed as they should have and the big spenders like Villa still are yet to hit their full potential.

It could be 3 unlikely sides to be promoted

Think this could be the tightest promotion race in a long time, don't see anyone running away with this, wouldn't be surprised for the rest of the top 6 to all be in with a shout of auto promotion in the run in and the rest of the top 10 for play offs potentially. 

37 minutes ago, spudski said:

My top 6 would consist of Leeds, Wolves, Boro, Villa, Sheff Weds, Brentford.

Not saying they're not a good side Spud, but that's a hell of an optimistic shout. No doubt they've been unlucky so far but with 7 points from 9 games they need to nigh on average 1.9- 2 points a game between now and the end of the season. They've got it in them to win games, just a bit much asking for that consistency for 37 games.

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

Early days I know, but are we looking at the winner of the league in this trio of clubs?

Still early but by now you can begin to see indications of where some teams might place

If Wolves do go up, serious questions have to be asked about the massive outlay they've spent on players.

Why?

Please god, let Cardiff crash and burn soon.

Hope so

As for Leeds, I just can't see them sustaining their early impressive form, but they are long overdue a return to the top. 

I think they will be top 6. Having huge away followings everywhere they go is probably worth a couple of points a season. 

It seems to be a tough one to spot the potential winner of the league this time around - going to be exciting to see it all unfold.

Yeah probably a bit early to say. Middlesbrough should be up there, wouldn’t rule out Fulham being top 6 and Brentford could be up there too. I think their recent form is just a blip.

11 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Not saying they're not a good side Spud, but that's a hell of an optimistic shout. No doubt they've been unlucky so far but with 7 points from 9 games they need to nigh on average 1.9- 2 points a game between now and the end of the season. They've got it in them to win games, just a bit much asking for that consistency for 37 games.

They are by far the best team in the league imo mate....can see them doing it.   Just ;-)

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

They are by far the best team in the league imo mate....can see them doing it.   Just ;-)

What may help them, and this is where I think the rub is, is that if you take out say Bolton at the bottom then the rest of the division is so competitive. I said above 1.9 points per game for them - in reality I can see top 6 being far lower points than prior years just because of the competitiveness.

We're on 1.55 points per game - over a season that's 71. I can see that having potential to be enough this year for top 6.

8 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

What may help them, and this is where I think the rub is, is that if you take out say Bolton at the bottom then the rest of the division is so competitive. I said above 1.9 points per game for them - in reality I can see top 6 being far lower points than prior years just because of the competitiveness.

We're on 1.55 points per game - over a season that's 71. I can see that having potential to be enough this year for top 6.

That's exactly why I see them just making it mate. As for us...I see us being more competitive, but still a mid table side. More losses being made into draws. Which is fine when it was two points for a win....but 1 point isn't as fruitful these days. 3 draws...or two losses and a win....no difference. But who knows...like you say, I can see it being very tight this season.

Seen it all too often for front runners now and at the end of the season - the consistency only happens with one or two teams. There is always a tail off for the rest of the teams.

Give it another month or two and then we'll have an idea who might be in the mix. January will be something more definite.

You only have to look at us last season (personally, I just don't think it's going to happen again this season).

Leeds my pick to win it. They'll be tough. We'll see what the wolves foreign stars are made of in the winter months. They do look a strong side. Don't read too much into the money they've spent. 20m on young players is nothing. FFP is over 3 years. Play them for 2 years and sell them for at least what you bought them for. 

After those two, I'm not sure who will be in the mix. I didn't think Huddersfield would keep their form up all season so Cardiff could. Gritty defensively and a top striker. We look strong and I'd be happy if we finished where we are but I'd still say we are more likely to be around 12th. I'm not convinced by Norwich, Villa and Sunderland I think are for sure more likely to be related than promoted. Boro will be at least a playoff side. 

Such an open season I think. It would be a good year to push for playoffs as I don't think anyone is as good as Newcastle or Brighton last season. 

Don't think there's a stand out team this season, think Wolves will get one of the top two. Leeds were lucky to win yesterday by all accounts and awful at Millwall last weekend. Boro for rage money they've spent don't look convincing. Unlike last season, reckon it'll be quite tight at the top with no one or two teams running away with it.

4 hours ago, BA14 RED said:

As mad as it sounds I think Leeds will win it. They simply look like they will win every home game and their defence is the best in the League imo. The relegated sides simply have not performed as they should have and the big spenders like Villa still are yet to hit their full potential.

It could be 3 unlikely sides to be promoted

It looks that way because they are on a roll. 

Wait until they lose a couple. They will lose at home. See how they react then. 

There is a long, long way to go yet before any team can be confident about where they might finish the season. 

Ultimately, the teams who keep their focus and composure later on will be the ones celebrating come may.  

Archived