IGNORED

Leeds, Wolves, Cardiff?

reddogkev

Would have thought at minimum one of them will be in the mix. Suspect all 3 to finish in the top 10- Wolves for the money and flair, Leeds as they are a major club who seem to be kicking into gear and Cardiff owing to a combination of Warnock and their excellent underlying stats. Indeed the only side with a better record in this sense is Brentford!

Cardiff most likely the ones to drop out but it wouldn't surprise me if they keep it going...

Brentford if their current trend of domination but not much rewards suddenly turns could go on a major roll- but they've left themselves a lot to do already.

4 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That supports mine and Spudski’s point though really, we turned it around eventually. The stats indicated we would.

Stats aren’t the only consideration of course, but help to show trends which you can apply to the bigger picture.

I thought you said you don’t know what their players are like?

I never said they are a bad side I said they won't make the top 6, nothing I've seen changes that and the fact they haven't finished in the top 6 since their first season in the championship also backs up what I'm saying as well,

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

I never said they are a bad side I said they won't make the top 6, nothing I've seen changes that and the fact they haven't finished in the top 6 since their first season in the championship also backs up what I'm saying as well,

You said

I can’t speak for Brentford as I don’t know what their players are like

so I’m confused about how you can be so sure :P

Way too early in the season for predictions like this....in Dec 2003 Iain Dowie took over as Palace manager when they were 19th in the second tier, and got them promoted to the premier league that season....and in August 2006 Roy Keane became Sunderland manager when they were second from bottom of the championship, he got them promoted to the premier league that season...anything can happen in this division (not league) - anyone can beat anyone, pointless just discussing the teams at the top in September...

You have to take Cardiff seriously because of the start they have had and the fact they have Colin in charge. I don't like him or his football- but the blokes record at this level speaks for itself.

Wolves have to be taken seriously because of the money they have spent- They are a big club who played some of the best attacking football I've seen at this level when we drew up there. However this may be down to the fact that we played a more open game than most will against them. Judgement should be reserved to see how their Portugal B team get on when the cold December days are creeping in but I think they will be there or there abouts.

Leeds I'm not sure about- looked a good outfit in the one game I watched on the tele box. However i have no idea of their strength in depth and lets be honest... We have seen Leeds choke many times before.

I think Villa could make a push for automatic. They look like they are finally getting their act together and lets not forget that this time last year Newcastle were pottering along around 10th in the table.

27 minutes ago, Keyardiv said:

I'm not really sure with what's really wrong with Colin's football tbh. We're not a pitty-patty team that passes it endlessly around the half-way line to inflate our possession stats, but take a direct, attacking approach with power and pace and have had double the number of shots on goal compared to our opposition this season. Despite 40% possession or so on average. It can actually be very good to watch when it clicks.

I'll be honest, highlights aside, I am yet to see you play this season- So I'm probably just going off Colins past reputation and the fact I've seen far too many of his teams practising the dark arts.

When his Rotherham team came to the gate sticks in my mind- the ball probably only spent 25 minutes on the pitch by the time his team had taken 5 minutes over every throw in and gone down clutching their faces every time a city player walked by them- And this is before he complained in a press conference that Johnson was "a disgrace" after our manager had asked for an intimidating home atmosphere.

Middlesbrough have started slowly but they will be challenging for the autos come may. I don't see Ipswich lasting the pace up there, but Preston or Sheff Utd could. The latter have the momentum and the former are absolutely rock solid at the back.

I'd imagine we are looking at two of Wolves, Middlesbrough, Cardiff, Leeds and Villa for autos with the Sheffield clubs, Norwich, Preston and Fulham battling for the remaining place. I'd love to think we could be in the mix but no tempting fate here.

Hi all , first post of the new season ! and delighted to see you have made a good start to the season and expect you to be top half at worst this season but also genuine playoff contenders with the players you have available and Ashton gate should become a real fortress for you IMO

Having lost Grayson in the manner we did , the feeling when Alex Neil was appointed was one of realism from me and many others ( perhaps a season of consolidation / may still be the case ) but having seen us in pre season and clearly the change in tactics / expressing ourselves and playing young players I hoped that we would bring it into the season , on paper our opening fixtures Sheff W H , Reading H , Boro A , Leeds A , Derby A and Cardiff H looked like a very tough start but we have totally changed the way we play ( last night at 1-1 at Hull he brought off a defensive midfielder / Hugill and a winger and went with a further two wingers and a creative midfielder in an attempt to win the  game ) , we should have won comfortably at Boro and Leeds where we played for 30 mins with 10 men and I genuinely think we where unlucky to draw at Home to Barnsley and Millwall , this on top of us having experienced players out - Cunningham ( POTY last 2 seasons ) Capt Clarke , Pearson , Gallagher etc ... Im the eternal pessimist when it comes to Preston but the team is as united as Ive ever seen , the banter is evident and they play with youth ( danger will be how we react when we go on a bad run ) but we are dark horses I think this season for the playoffs and with a squad assembled at less than £3 million its a good effort , nobody in the media gives us a hope this season and they may be right but 4 conceded in 10 games and we mullered Cardiff I woudnt be to surprised barring injuries and not selling our best players ( turning down £8 million for Hugill is unprecedented for our club ) we might sneak into the top six ....

As always look forward again to the two fixtures between the sides this season ..

Cheers

Mortis

Archived