IGNORED

Leko getting subbed at half-time - good call from LJ

brady bunch

I don't often call stuff right on the footy front (when I do moan to my mates about a player, it normally results in them getting a goal and me egg on my face 5 minutes later), but at halftime at Norwich I turned to my son and said I would not be surprised if Leko di not reappear, he was having a mare. Considering how well he performed in his first games with us it was a shocker to see how easy the Norwich defenders dealt with him. 

LJ called it absolutely right in giving him a rest for the second half and I thought his comments after the game “ he was not having a good game” were spot on.

I am certain Leko is a gem and will come back stronger than ever and he’s the type of player I am happy to spend money watching, as he does stuff I cannot, nor ever could do…

But another good call from LJ in my book.

I didn’t go to the game but was keep updated via radio and the forum. The general consensus was Leko was having a mare. I think it was an easy decision to make considering how well O’Dowda played against Stoke they he’d replace him. I think Leko could well be on the bench for Tuesday and come in as an impact sub. 

23 minutes ago, spudski said:

Couple of Albion lads said to me when he joined, that he's the most frustrating player to watch. Genius one week...pants the next. Obviously has the ability, just needs the consistency.

Let's be honest if he did have both he wouldn't be here. Typical winger I think, they never seem to fancy it when away from home.

5 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Let's be honest if he did have both he wouldn't be here. Typical winger I think, they never seem to fancy it when away from home.

Indeed. Who'd have thought an 18 year old with less than 20 games under his belt, wouldn't be the finished article...

40 minutes ago, spudski said:

Couple of Albion lads said to me when he joined, that he's the most frustrating player to watch. Genius one week...pants the next. Obviously has the ability, just needs the consistency.

Worth traveling to Ipswich for then..! 

16 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Depends what the loan stipulation is in his development with us.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Sounds just JET was.........what a easte of talent.

JET was both mental (as in not focused, preferred other things outside football) and physical.

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Sounds just JET was.........what a easte of talent.

Harsh on Leko to compare him to JET. 

Leko seems to have his head down on the training ground, working hard, and is still just an 18 year old looking for consistency in his game; which no doubt will come with more league experience.

JET seemed more interested in hanging out with his rapper mates and all that 'Swazzy' nonsense, than putting a shift in as a professional footballer. 

7 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Harsh on Leko to compare him to JET. 

Leko seems to have his head down on the training ground, working hard, and is still just an 18 year old looking for consistency in his game; which no doubt will come with more league experience.

JET seemed more interested in hanging out with his rapper mates and all that 'Swazzy' nonsense, than putting a shift in as a professional footballer. 

Yep a totally basic comparison to make.

Leko is just a typical young winger - sometimes he’ll be great, sometimes other teams will find a solution to nulify him and sometimes he’ll just be crap.

Every winger we’ve in that style has that inconsistency - Murray, Adomah..

I think Leko got roughed up and got very little protection, he was on the other side of the ground from us but it always to result in a foul against him. After the game I was talking to a Norwich fan who said he felt the Ref gave us everything and them nothing, I thought the complete opposite, strange how you can watch the same game and have two completely different opinions of the ref's performance.

19 minutes ago, Robbored said:

"Genius one week, pants the next" 

Sounds just like JET to me.

I think the point here is that JET was known for this after his many seasons in league football. Leko has been a sub for a handful of games in the Prem, and also for us in the Champ.

Think it's fair to let the lad play consistently for 2-3 years in league football before tarring him with the 'genius one week, pants the next' brush.

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Leko was consistently fouled and had no calls in his favour . 

He must get used to rough treatment and overcome it but I think it was a good decision to bring him off.

COD played well I thought.

Too right! He's going to get plenty more of that.

I'd have thought that would be enough to motivate him to work harder and play better (assuming he hasn't copped an injury).

Agree with the root cause of the issue being "clever" defenders and midfield Norwich players doing a job on him, by ganging up in numbers, going through the back of him and not letting him turn (if he tried to turn, he ended up on the floor).

Having said that his lightening quick "dancing feet" that I saw in the first few games, which got him in and out of trouble and round players seemed to disappear.

Think he will be a star and not end up a Jet. My post was not meant to be against Leko, more a well done to LJ for acting early, when it was not working.

51 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Leko is just a typical young winger - sometimes he’ll be great, sometimes other teams will find a solution to nulify him

I think that's what happened against Norwich really, they had the fullback on him and their LM too. They got in quick when he received the ball and he never really got on the ball properly to get going. That said, had Eros been fit, Leko having a poor game but occupying two players would have given him space to come forward into. 

I think Leko needs to learn to play himself into the game. The one ok bit I remember from him at Norwich, he received the ball just in from the wing near the halfway line and went a couple of strides forward saw their LM there turned back and played a simple layoff. If he just gave himself a spell of doing that - quick touch simple layoff - he might have found his touch and started to get him a bit more space as the defense would be less likely to commit to an early challenge. 

3 hours ago, spudski said:

Best play him one week give him a rest the next 

just get the weeks right 

Archived