IGNORED

Attendance Vs Bolton

BCFC J

3 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Surely it's about right. Over 17000 expected . With only a couple of hundred away fans. If it was 2500 away fans you're looking at 20000 . IMO it's only the poor away support ( which you can understand)that is preventing our average attendance

Was going to say just this. Villa game was 21k but they brought 3k with them, so 18k home crowd.

17k home crowd against Bolton isn't bad when you consider they're not as attractive as opponents.

5 hours ago, BCFC J said:

christ I hate it when I see dreadful posts like this.

It's not a personal attack on you, grow up.

I was merely stating the attendance is poor, which it is. I'm not on here digging out people who can't/won't go.

Actually, any thread like this is an implied criticism of fans who don't turn up, so I can see why they would see it as a personal criticism, even if it's not how you meant it.

Out of interest, if you're not prepared to drill down to the detail, what is the point in calling the overall attendance poor? Who is the disappointment aimed at?

For me this fixture is a great example of why the football calendar needs a serious overhaul. It isn't on to have teams travelling so far afield in midweek.

Five leagues of 20 was a good idea, cut down on the amount of midweek matches, scrap the league cup (after we win it of course ;) because two domestic knockout competitions is overkill).

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Apparently so, but I was sitting outside that cafe by the water tower not long ago when various teams were meeting up before changing, and I was surprised at the number of non Bristolian accents.

No doubt there are Bristolian City fans who would attend if they weren't playing on a Saturday, but I'm dubious numbers are large enough to make a significant difference to a midweek crowd.

Truthfully, I think there's 2 reasons why this maybe a bit of a red herring.

1) Decent chunk of City's fanbase IMO resides outside Bristol-  North Somerset, other bits of Somerset and South Gloucs being the key areas.

2) Yes, this comes up often- but so many graduates for example, plus those escaping London come and stay they are likely already to have sides.

Where I work, me aside I would suggest out of 100 people, only 1 is another bona fide City fan. All part of the changing nature of the city tbh. Then there's the North Somerset and other areas thing- as others have already suggested, hard to get out and get back on a weeknight.

14 hours ago, poland_exile said:

totally true - i can't believe i'm reading people moaning about 18,000. phenomenal figure, and the kind we used to hit once every three years or so with a big cup game or a match against the gas. to be getting that for a mid-week game against a struggling team that's bringing  a handful of fans is staggeringly good! christ people, can we have perspective!!!! 

How many do you think we could get for a cup draw against the sags now? I guess they would bring 40,000 or so.

1 hour ago, Mighty Squirrel Kingdom said:

It's my fault I'm afraid. Was going to take a mate with me this evening who hasn't been since Blackburn last season but he can't go now because of work. He's going to come to the Preston game instead.

Completely misread that and thought your mate was going to Hull this evening instead!

31 minutes ago, West Hill Red said:

Football is all about attendances, surely.

It certainly affects the club's bottom line, so I think an interest in attendances is warranted.

Clearly, we will get smaller gates for midweek fixtures against unattractive sides who wont bring many fans.

I don't see the need for much angst over it to be honest though and im pretty pleased with our crowds. I suspect there are a few who might still be a bit miffed over last season, maybe those who didnt renew SC's as a consequence, who are more likely to pick and choose. If we maintain current form (eg top ten, not playoffs even_ then I reckon our post xmas crowds will be bigger than they are now.

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

A wider indicator of support..

support = a more famous (and probably successful) club; more attractive to sponsors, sky, the general media, advertisers, potential players, investors - attendances help indicate the size of a club’s support 

Hence Skys obsession with Leeds and Villa...

14 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Disappointed not to sée 18k, but Bolron were  never likely to bring many to an evening game in their position.

Fair play to them though. Can't have been an easy trip and they made a bit of noise. 

If there's any Bolton fans on here, respect to you. 

14 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I was surprised when l saw that. I'd guessed 14/15k 

May well have been that many actually there. 

I can't be the only season ticket holder who has a young child in school tomorrow and unable to go. Plus work, travel etc. 

7 minutes ago, Rossi the Robin said:

Spoke to a couple of Eastern Europeans attending their first game tonight, asked us where the South Stand entrance was and what songs to sing 

Saw them at the end in KFC proudly wearing their new Bristol City scarves - they had a great time 

Yeah i was walking next to five spaniards on the way in wearing city scarves. Its good to see us bringing in the foreigners although they might have found this style boring.

Thought was decent all things considered.

1) We've had a LOT of games this month. Home and away, total games... 6 so far. Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday.

2) As others said...Work, school, travel. All plays a part.

3) Unattractive fixture.

4) Small away contingent which was fully understandable in their circs.

Having said all this, though the numbers were indeed good, the atmosphere seemed quite flat in decent chunks.

Surprised me a bit given our form, general performances and the Cup run- assumed atmosphere would be a bit better.

Archived