IGNORED

The Official Bristol City v Bolton Wanderers Match Day Thread 10

22 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

The Indians called it Saqumsketuck and if there are any Podunk Indians left perhaps they still do. That was in the early 1600's when the first settlers from Hartford travelled the short distance to what is now called Bolton and along the Podunk River. Probably the first of 13 Bolton's around the world outside the original that is. Many of those first settlers were from Bolton, Lancashire and, even now, there is a significant Bolton Wanderers following in the town of nearly 5,000. However, like England, they have a Manchester just 6 miles up the road so the pull of supporting a more successful team is likely a strong one. On October 20th, 1720 Bolton became a town and as late as 1774 the inhabitants were still claiming allegiance to King George III. Good chaps. 

Early industries in Bolton included distilleries, hat manufacturers, cigar manufacturers, and a gristmill. The Bolton Quarry was sending flags of stone to Washington, Philadelphia, Baltimore, and New Orleans as early as 1820. It is interesting to note that much stone from Bolton went to build a number of significant monuments in Washington DC and while such transactions were usually paid for with pounds, shillings and pence there were occasions when bartering was used. In fact this became common place when most states that were using British sterling did not have parity of exchange with each nor with the UK itself. This created a demand for bartering as a way of somewhat leveling out possible arguments. Tobacco from Bolton was one such product used to pay for other goods. 

Most of the other Boltons around the world are so named because of a founding forefather's name and most are in the USA with one in Canada and another in Australia. Boston, Connecticut though is alone in gaining its name from Bolton in Lancashire or so my research seems to suggest. But there is, rather interestingly, a Bolton in Pakistan. Well actually it is a market in Karachi but was not faring too well recently when its main building caught fire.

59ca3aa469221_BoltonMarket.jpeg.1003455c2e1358c8be4286892e822ce2.jpeg

Prior to this rather upsetting mishap Bolton Market Saddar Karachi was a large Wholesaler and Supply Store, located in M.A Jinnah Road, Saddar, Pakistan. It had a huge variety of items available in bulk quantities at very low prices. You could find all types of stuff like, toys, old books, caps, hats, shoes, electronic items, bobby pins to sports goods, plastic goods to kitchen utensils, cosmetics, artificial jewellery, spectacles and all kind of watches.

A Bolton with perhaps a more interesting past is Bolton in Ontario. Originally called Bolton Mills, this Canadian town was founded around 1822 when a James Bolton helped build a flour mill. It's now home to 26,000 inhabitants. The 1996 hurricane thriller, Twister, was partially shot there, as well as the 2005 action movie, Four Brothers, starring Mark Wahlberg.

But most Bolton's are rather small or quiet spots that have seen gradual decline in the latter half of the twentieth century and that is how Bolton in Lancashire must have felt at times as well and maybe is perpetuated with a football team that many thought might be on the up again only for reality to start consuming the psyche once more this season with a transfer embargo and Phil Parkinson wondering now what he has to do to to turn the already faltering Championship club around. Not happy days, again, for being a Bolton fan. Maybe if you are a Bolton fan you should just say 'damn to the world', kick back in your old walnut rocker with a straight up bourbon in your good hand and take a listen to that raw blues singer Bo Carter, who wrote 'Let Me Roll Your Melon', 'Banana in Your Fruit Basket' and 'Please Warm My Weiner'.

And if you did so in Bolton in the very fine southern state of Mississippi you would be a very well respected visitor because Bo Carter was born and raised in that there Bolton.

I have no idea if Bolton Wanderers even register in the deep south but what I do know is that they are heading south and we are not gonna bat an eye lid if we give them a helping hand tonight. In fact, I believe it is our solemn duty, partaking in a favour if you will, to thrash them to kingdom come like we jolly well did two seasons ago so that those fair people in Lancashire can say to those hapless owners who are arguing amongst theyselves to wake up and do something positive for the long suffering fans. Amen to that brothers and sisters. You'all enjoy the game now.

The National Geographic matchday thread , fascinating  but does it really belong on the Football forum ? 

;)

Mrs Isewater is at her Mother's so an evening of uninterrupted football awaits . I am really looking forward to this match .

We should have too much for this unhappy visiting club IF we don't take them for granted.

Nightmare scenario is an attritional match with Wilbs notching a winner in injury time .

Let's not go there however , I predict a hard fought game with us doing just enough to grab the three points and continuing our excellent start, for that is what it is dear friends , to the season.

COYR

Edited by Major Isewater
  • Confused 1

Major... it does unless you want me to regurgitate the same topic over and over again... this is about the 5th thread on Bolton; I mean what else can I talk about. Maybe the next match will be about Bolton made ice cream being thrust down the pants of the first player to score a hattrick for the club back in 1879. All suggestions welcome. Happy to research and try and deliver. Otherwise you can belt up!!!

• Like 4
  • Haha 8
11 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Major... it does unless you want me to regurgitate the same topic over and over again... this is about the 5th thread on Bolton; I mean what else can I talk about. Maybe the next match will be about Bolton made ice cream being thrust down the pants of the first player to score a hattrick for the club back in 1879. All suggestions welcome. Happy to research and try and deliver. Otherwise you can belt up!!!

I enjoy your regurgitations as much as your interesting and well researched  threads. Keep it up old fruit.

Now what was that about ice-cream ? 

49 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

The Indians called it Saqumsketuck and if there are any Podunk Indians left perhaps they still do. That was in the early 1600's when the first settlers from Hartford travelled the short distance to what is now called Bolton and along the Podunk River. Probably the first of 13 Bolton's around the world outside the original that is. Many of those first settlers were from Bolton, Lancashire and, even now, there is a significant Bolton Wanderers following in the town of nearly 5,000. However, like England, they have a Manchester just 6 miles up the road so the pull of supporting a more successful team is likely a strong one. On October 20th, 1720 Bolton became a town and as late as 1774 the inhabitants were still claiming allegiance to King George III. Good chaps. 

Early industries in Bolton included distilleries, hat manufacturers, cigar manufacturers, and a gristmill. The Bolton Quarry was sending flags of stone to Washington, Philadelphia, Baltimore, and New Orleans as early as 1820. It is interesting to note that much stone from Bolton went to build a number of significant monuments in Washington DC and while such transactions were usually paid for with pounds, shillings and pence there were occasions when bartering was used. In fact this became common place when most states that were using British sterling did not have parity of exchange with each nor with the UK itself. This created a demand for bartering as a way of somewhat leveling out possible arguments. Tobacco from Bolton was one such product used to pay for other goods. 

Most of the other Boltons around the world are so named because of a founding forefather's name and most are in the USA with one in Canada and another in Australia. Boston, Connecticut though is alone in gaining its name from Bolton in Lancashire or so my research seems to suggest. But there is, rather interestingly, a Bolton in Pakistan. Well actually it is a market in Karachi but was not faring too well recently when its main building caught fire.

59ca3aa469221_BoltonMarket.jpeg.1003455c2e1358c8be4286892e822ce2.jpeg

Prior to this rather upsetting mishap Bolton Market Saddar Karachi was a large Wholesaler and Supply Store, located in M.A Jinnah Road, Saddar, Pakistan. It had a huge variety of items available in bulk quantities at very low prices. You could find all types of stuff like, toys, old books, caps, hats, shoes, electronic items, bobby pins to sports goods, plastic goods to kitchen utensils, cosmetics, artificial jewellery, spectacles and all kind of watches.

A Bolton with perhaps a more interesting past is Bolton in Ontario. Originally called Bolton Mills, this Canadian town was founded around 1822 when a James Bolton helped build a flour mill. It's now home to 26,000 inhabitants. The 1996 hurricane thriller, Twister, was partially shot there, as well as the 2005 action movie, Four Brothers, starring Mark Wahlberg.

But most Bolton's are rather small or quiet spots that have seen gradual decline in the latter half of the twentieth century and that is how Bolton in Lancashire must have felt at times as well and maybe is perpetuated with a football team that many thought might be on the up again only for reality to start consuming the psyche once more this season with a transfer embargo and Phil Parkinson wondering now what he has to do to to turn the already faltering Championship club around. Not happy days, again, for being a Bolton fan. Maybe if you are a Bolton fan you should just say 'damn to the world', kick back in your old walnut rocker with a straight up bourbon in your good hand and take a listen to that raw blues singer Bo Carter, who wrote 'Let Me Roll Your Melon', 'Banana in Your Fruit Basket' and 'Please Warm My Weiner'.

And if you did so in Bolton in the very fine southern state of Mississippi you would be a very well respected visitor because Bo Carter was born and raised in that there Bolton.

I have no idea if Bolton Wanderers even register in the deep south but what I do know is that they are heading south and we are not gonna bat an eye lid if we give them a helping hand tonight. In fact, I believe it is our solemn duty, partaking in a favour if you will, to thrash them to kingdom come like we jolly well did two seasons ago so that those fair people in Lancashire can say to those hapless owners who are arguing amongst theyselves to wake up and do something positive for the long suffering fans. Amen to that brothers and sisters. You'all enjoy the game now.

And I found a few Bolton fans in Connecticut or maybe this is the US Academy.

image.png.9ec22023487d9d69568661dd88aa012b.png

Condensed Version

Bolton:

Full of Indians making hats.  Bolton in Ontario is more interesting.

City 2-0

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
24 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I enjoy your regurgitations as much as your interesting and well researched  threads. Keep it up old fruit.

Now what was that about ice-cream ? 

I dunno mate but I dug myself into that one so research will begin in the near future.

p.s. I might have to start employing a helper!

Edited by havanatopia
  • Like 1

Both their points so far have come from away games. Maybe they feel more comfortable to shut up shop when away from home.

Doesn't really suit us as I don't see us as a picking passes through the defence type team. We need energy in the game otherwise we get a bit stifled when its all a bit static (see Millwall) 

Think tonight could be a test of patience. Hopefully I'm proved wrong! 

Edited by RedSA

Nervous about tonight, but the timing of the first goal is crucial (our goal that is), if we can get one if the first 15 mins i think we will win comfortably as they will eventually have to think about attacking us and our pace will be to much for them. Patience is the key to tonight, if we are still level or god forbid behind, after the hour we have the fitness, pace, quality on the bench to get goals. As @Squeak rightly said, complacency is our enemy tonight. COYR.

Edited by RUSSEL85
  • Like 2
7 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Nervous about tonight, but the timing of the first goal is crucial (our goal that is), if we can get one if the first 15 mins i think we will win comfortably as they will eventually have to think about attacking us and our pace will be to much for them. Patience is the key to tonight, if we are still level or god forbid behind, after the hour we have the fitness, pace, quality on the bench to get goals. As @Squeak rightly said, complacency is our enemy tonight. COYR.

Yep I’m nervous too. Years of following City has instilled a horrible expectation that we often lose when expected to win and vice-versa! So picking-up points away to Reading, Wolves and Norwich might just be a precursor to a slap in the face tonight. Although my head says we are the better team and if we perform as we can we should win, my City heart is having a few doubts. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
20 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I particularly liked this in the comments section below that article.

"That's what the fans like to hear - fighting talk - shame you couldn't fight your way out of a paper bag. Got a fiver on Bristol City scoring four or more though I fear it could be worse it was 6-0 last time they played each other. I reckon they will go,one better this time and be in seven heaven."

I think of all this talk of complacency is fine, I totally understand that. But there's no need to be worried?

Bolton are a poor, poor side. They haven't scored a goal in six games.. the following results have been..

4-0

0-3

1-0

0-2

3-0

0-3

We just need to go out there with the same attitude, if we do that, I'm confident of 3 points tonight.

Bolton have struggled big time this season so it really is a game we should win....but it would be dangerous to assume we'll get three points just by turning up. They will be desperate for some points and will try to be hard to beat. I envisage a tight, scrappy game like Millwall last month or Burton at home last season (although at least if we get a penalty Tomlin won't be taking it).