IGNORED

Ipswich

cheshire_red

10 hours ago, Southend Blue said:

It was a good night, the only downside was a lack of attendance.   Many vowed to stay away after the crap from last season although many may be regretting their decision.   Some were adamant they would not attend another home game when it got to a certain point and until McCarthy resigned / was removed from position.   Fair enough I respect their decision, it was horrendous for a time, but no-one could have seen the improvement we have made since the summer.

We were somewhat unfortunate to see defeat at Leeds at the weekend, the goalkeeper made an uncharacteristic error and with a better defence, we would have left with something.   In a false position if ever there was one, their loss at Cardiff tonight shows them up for what they are.  Would be very surprised to see them in the premier league again by August.

I expect your visit on Saturday may be similar to last time out, we should win although by a marrow margin.   Possibly another late goal that will see us progress further and there is some belief at last we can challenge again this season after almost hitting rock bottom a few short months ago.   I had a look on this site earlier and consensus was Bolton played poorly tonight and it was something of a scrappy game, ironically we did similar a week or two back when beating the same opposition.

Not going to plan too far ahead but tonight was a very good display from most of the players and if they can duplicate what just occurred, then against your team this weekend we will have a good chance of victory.          

10 hours ago, Southend Blue said:

No he's not wrong, there has been a level of fortune this season but the indisputable truth is we've made a real turnaround since the summer.    Fair enough we're not a plateau with the Holland team of the 1970's right now, but instead of absolute mediocrity last season we have shown a greater determination and more willingness to have a go.    I admit, we've picked up points against some poor teams already this season, but other than any amount of luck that has come our way we've shown a tendency to battle that was strongly missing from before.  

I don't know what the answer is, many of our supporters are bemused by the new approach.   Put it down to new additions in the summer or new team ethics, but luck aside, we're simply not the pushovers from before.     Are we promotion material ?  Not really.      Have we improved or can give any team a game in this division right now ?   When all players are playing to their potential and with the right attitude, by all means Yes

I think us and you are in a pretty similar position at the moment to be honest. Both clubs had very disappointing seasons last time around with enormous pressure on the managers to be sacked at various points throughout the year. Both weathered the storms though to an extent and we've both made encouraging starts to the season. But just like Ipswich fans, we can't afford to get carried away as we saw this at the start of last season before things went south very quickly. 

It does however sound like you are a better outfit than you were last season, I think Garner and Waghorn were shrewd signings at a mill each. We also seem to have a bit more resilience about us. You've rode your luck on occasion as have we in games at Brentford, Reading and probably Wolves as well.

I'm hoping for an entertaining game. I watched the highlights of the Sunderland game and you created a lot of chances and maybe could've had more than 5! I was encouraged by some of your defending though and feel we will get opportunities to score on Saturday. Last time I visited Portman Rd was for the 2-2 draw a couple of years ago and I wouldn't be surprised to see a repeat of that score line at the weekend.

I suspect the wheels will come off for Ipswich eventually.  They have won matches narrowly and have allowed teams to take an awful lot of shots against them whilst creating relatively few chances themselves.  Whilst the home form is excellent away from Portman Road they have been pretty indifferent. I expect them to slip back into mid table before too long - but I am not fool enough to suggest that this regression will start on Saturday.

Note that at home they are getting 2.4 points per game whilst when we play away we are averaging 1.2. 

An away draw would (as always) be excellent.

I don't know whats the matter with you lot!

Surely we are now at a level where we should be saying that we can win that one.

We are near the top of the table, haven't lost in 8 and have beaten prem sides on the way.

For gods sake start backing the team!........I'm sure the players recon they can win each game.

3 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Surely we are now at a level where we should be saying that we can win that one.

We are near the top of the table, haven't lost in 8 and have beaten prem sides on the way.

For gods sake start backing the team!........I'm sure the players recon they can win each game.

It’s when belief becomes expectation that things can go south both on the pitch and in the stands.

5 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Respecting the opposition and saying we'd be happy with a point is not not 'backing the team'. It's having realistic aims against an in form team who are at home at a ground where we don't traditionally do fantastically well. 

Going by the expected goal stats at https://experimental361.com/2017/09/17/scatter-graphics-championship-17-sep-2017/ they could be this season's Reading.

Reading spent all of last season looking appalling in terms of expected goals, yet did pretty well in terms of actual goals, and it turns out it's those that count.

Ipswich could regress to where the stats suggest they should be; somewhere in the bottom half, or they could defy the model as Reading did and reach the playoff final. It's definitely too early to say.

Given that they're a side in good form, with a very savvy manager, who we have a pretty poor record against at their ground, I'd be extremely happy with a point. But I'd expect to beat them were it at Ashton Gate.

I've only signed up as a few of your mention we lost to Palace. Yes we did, but before making assumptions, please take a look at our team and tell me how many of our team you have heard of. 5 made the first senior appearance.

Stats are pointless. We had 70% plus possession at points in the second half last night, but sat back after their second goal and the possession stats dropped. Stats don't show the true picture of a game

6 minutes ago, EssexTractor said:

I've only signed up as a few of your mention we lost to Palace. Yes we did, but before making assumptions, please take a look at our team and tell me how many of our team you have heard of. 5 made the first senior appearance. 

We lost to Brum, only a few on here are playing at being billy big balls at this stage of the season.

At a place we notoriously do bad at I would take a point.

I must admit I thought Ipswich were one of the poorer sides I saw last season which makes their upturn this season all the more remarkable.

Perhaps it underlines that McCarthy knows a little more about management than the majority of Town fans!

What I am looking for is a really good dynamic performance from City. Time will tell if we can keep with the style of high tempo football in the relentless fixture list.

Surely, if we carry on with the momentum then a draw is the very least we should expect.

Something else to consider, we've had 10 injuries at once at points of the season so far (hence the Palace team was full of youths rather than reserves). We had all 3 senior CB injured for a good 4 weeka and Chambers has only come back the last couple of games. The other two are still out. 

Similar applies for our CMs. Adeyami is now back and has made a huge difference 

19 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

Going by the expected goal stats at https://experimental361.com/2017/09/17/scatter-graphics-championship-17-sep-2017/ they could be this season's Reading.

Reading spent all of last season looking appalling in terms of expected goals, yet did pretty well in terms of actual goals, and it turns out it's those that count.

Ipswich could regress to where the stats suggest they should be; somewhere in the bottom half, or they could defy the model as Reading did and reach the playoff final. It's definitely too early to say.

Given that they're a side in good form, with a very savvy manager, who we have a pretty poor record against at their ground, I'd be extremely happy with a point. But I'd expect to beat them were it at Ashton Gate.

As an aside, the stats on shots there perhaps give an indication on why our game against Bolton was so scrappy; they don't seem to allow a lot of chances. In fact the number of shots we had is well above the average used in that chart

As for predictions of "smashing" Ipswich, STFU. A point will be a fine result, though I have a feeling we might sneak all 3

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Absolutely right. Ipswich are part of a very select group who have lost to Palace. That tells us everything we need to know about their season.

Just like Huddersfield being part of a very select group who lost 4-0 to us last season showed how much they were going to struggle.

Just like Brighton were part of a very select group of teams we beat away last season. And the idiots thought they might get automatic promotion!

Taking one result of evidence of where a team is, especially in a competition like the League Cup, is a massive error. 

Ruthlessly correct!

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Last win at Portman Road - 23 Sept 1978 - Ipswich Town 0 Bristol City 1....

My one and only visit to Ipswich,I think it might of been on match of the day,my abiding memory though is of cups of p*** being thrown by both sets of fans.

8 hours ago, Cider-Head23 said:

I don't really buy into we haven't won there in such and such time.

It's more a psychological thing for the fans I think,  Alright we lost there last year with this crop of players..

But some of the current team would of never played at Portman Road before.. and who knows Paterson may have won there with Forest, Brownhill with Preston in recent years. 

If we go there and play well enough on the day we will get a result and that maybe all three points. at least another point will top off a superb September.

In the mind or not, it is peculiar how all clubs appear to have"bunnies" who they always get results against and the "bogeys" where they continually lose.

We haven't won at Molineux since 1931 and Ipswich in forty years. Yet we can usually expect to get a result at Watford or Fulham.

I remember some years ago that we won our first match at Middlesbrough in 90 years and now we seem to win there most times.

Psychological or pure chance? I haven't a clue but it happens too often.

I'm surrounded by them over here and Rommy's research made a penny drop in my thinking. You never - ever - hear from them when they lose or hit bad form, but a win or two and out they all come from the woodwork. They have never had much success and we may be dealing with a lack of self-confidence here. A bit like another team I know. Just a thought.  

I haven't looked at anything they have posted since their win over Bolton, but everything before that pointed to (a) a tight defence and (b) profligacy in front of goal. They score a few and create plenty of chances, but there is a pattern of being very wasteful. It would make my life easier if we beat them on Saturday.

15 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

In the mind or not, it is peculiar how all clubs appear to have"bunnies" who they always get results against and the "bogeys" where they continually lose.

We haven't won at Molineux since 1931 and Ipswich in forty years. Yet we can usually expect to get a result at Watford or Fulham.

I remember some years ago that we won our first match at Middlesbrough in 90 years and now we seem to win there most times.

Psychological or pure chance? I haven't a clue but it happens too often.

Psychology might play a part but I think chance is a huge part of it. But chance might create the psychology. 

Logically with any team a similar size to you, you would expect to win, draw or lose a relatively similar number of times. But it is a bit like tossing a coin. If you toss a coin 50 times in a row you might expect 25 heads and 25 tails but, because each toss is separate, there is a 50:50 chance each time. You have as much chance of 50 heads in a row as you do getting HTHTHTHTHTHTHT etc....

Similarly, there will be teams similar sized to us who, for reasons of chance, we always happen to play in a bad patch of form or have bad luck on the day or whatever it is...

However it could then be that once a team have, by chance, failed to win somewhere ten years in a row and the players, manager and fans become aware of that, a psychological element could creep in. 

Archived