IGNORED

Players that were better "live" than you thought.

Ashtonwurzel

Watching games and individual players on TV doesn't always give you the full picture on just how good some players are. Missing much of the off the ball work, runs and getting into space etc.

I always remember how impressed I was with Tony Cottee when I saw him playing for West Ham at AG. Never rated him from TV.

Anyone else have others ?

13 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Interesting thread.

Robbie Savage was one.

Coming to the end of his career at Derby and played us at AG. Just sat in centre midfield spraying passes about, keeping it simple but organising the tempo.

Was impressed and don’t think I’d have noticed him on TV - you miss all the organising he was doing.

Funny but I was very unimpressed by Savage at AG although at that point I think his legs had gone quite a bit.

I remember being amazed at how good Sol Campbell was when I saw him 'live' for England at Euro 2004.  His positioning was always perfect.  You don't really appreciate the work defenders do from watching on TV.  

7 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Interesting thread.

Robbie Savage was one.

Coming to the end of his career at Derby and played us at AG. Just sat in centre midfield spraying passes about, keeping it simple but organising the tempo.

Was impressed and don’t think I’d have noticed him on TV - you miss all the organising he was doing.

I saw Wales v Brazil in a friendly in the Millennium Stadium and Rivaldo was showing some slinky moves, Savage just seemed to run in a ave him. Rivaldo played the rest of the game away from .Savage out of fear. 

One player I've seen live who I never realised how good he was is Tony Adams England v Germany euro 96 semi's. The man just seemed to know exactly where the ball was going to be, no great speed to him but his awareness was just fantastic. 

Ledley king , I had the pleasure of following England in euro 2004 in Portugal and this guy was like a rolls Royce of defenders!!

His performance in the game against France in the group stage( we were robbed!) was still the best display of defending I've ever seen!!

So glad I got the opportunity to watch him play live.

If only he wasn't so hampered by injury.   

An 'unusual' one for me 

Gazza (Pre 91 particularly)

You could see he on TV was fantastic player but live - OMG

His acceleration and ability to run with the ball breathtaking, remember him literally tearing Albania apart like a kid in the schoolyard

Was lucky to watch him training with England in Italia 90 and he could literally make the ball talk

Best English player I've ever seen - by a country mile

Berbatov

Lazy my arse, the amount he pulls the defender around the pitch was menses, its no wonder he always  had space when you watched him on TV, he hard already done all the  hard yards to get that space off of camera.

His touch and awareness compared  to what we are used to was off the scale.

8 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

David F....ing Kelly.

Thanks for that.

Bang goes my chance of a good night sleep, although it is good that you remembered his middle name.

back on topic, always remember Rob Lee playing for Charlton and thinking this boy will go far, same with Kevin Davies for Chesterfield and Lua Lua for Colchester and thinking why are we not trying to sign these players instead of your Paul Mortimer knackered kneed hamstring pulling toe stubbing sicknotes 

Patrick Viera - saw him at Villa Park, before that day I thought he was a bit lazy and just jogged about looking disinterested....but he was absolute quality, close to world class. You don't see the whole picture on the TV, in reality he was just superb, hard as nails and with great technical skill. He just didn't waste or use energy until he needed to, and then he just burst into action and ran the show....top notch

Also Stefan Iversen - saw him rip Jaap Stam to shreds at White Hart Lane, his movement off the ball was just mesmerising - Spurs 3 Man U 1

8 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Patrick Viera - saw him at Villa Park, before that day I thought he was a bit lazy and just jogged about looking disinterested....but he was absolute quality, close to world class. You don't see the whole picture on the TV, in reality he was just superb, hard as nails and with great technical skill. He just didn't waste or use energy until he needed to, and then he just burst into action and ran the show....top notch

Friend of mine supports PNE and I remember him commenting after Arsenal destroyed them in the Cup about how good both Vieira and Petit were.

Going back a bit, but one player that I always thought played like a donkey was Dave Watson, who played centre half (now centre back)  for Man City and England in the 70's. That was until I went to Wembley to watch England v Scotland in 1979. Watching him live I saw how well he read the game and anticipated nearly all the Scottish moves. Totally changed my opinion of him.

Roy Keane. The guy was on tip toes all the time and you never see him walking. An absolute wall in midfield. He was quick and was an exceptional passer of the ball too. 

Playing at the gate, I remember Ricardo Fuller and Marcus Bent putting in performances that made me think they were better than I had initially thought. 

Winston Reid. 

Remember tbe FA cup game against West Ham a few years back and arsenal were after him, I was thinking 'shows how desperate and cheap they are!'.

The term 'complete defender' comes to mind. 

Went to the Madrid Derby last year and Luca Modric is probably the best player I've ever seen live. Was like when you're in under 14s and just pass the ball to the quickest kid for him to kick it and run, everything Madrid did came from him  

In the league, id say Grant Hanley. Would love to see him in a City shirt one day. 

Archived