IGNORED

Players that were better "live" than you thought.

Ashtonwurzel

Jonathan Woodgate. I always thought he was pretty good on TV but watching him live was a joy. Even when he played against us for Boro a few years back and must have been mid thirties nothing got past him and he never broke sweat all day. 

I can see what Real Madrid saw in him and but for injuries I`m convinced he would have been excellent for them and played a lot more for England.

14 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

My dad nearly stopped going when we signed him "If I wanted to see animals I would go to the zoo" , my mum persauded him he should go to make sure I didn't get into any trouble and he was totally amazed that he was "a proper footballer". 

Three stick out for me, two from around that sort of time,  Peter Osgood playing for Southampton i always thought he was a "big time Charlie" in his Chelsea days but he led the line so beautifully bringing other players into the game, with a great range of passes and taking up positions between our defenders and midfield that made him almost impossible to mark.
Trevor Brooking, I knew he was a pretty footballer, but when West Ham went down to 10 men before half time, in a game after Pat Holland broke his leg and they had already used their 1 sub (ask your parents kids),  he ran the midfield all on his own and got them a draw.  
Slightly more recently, Gary Speed playing for Sheff Utd towards the end of his career. i had never understood what it was that had made clubs spend very good money to sign him, but he was excellent on the ground and terrific in the air with an amazing leap on him. I was totally won over that day.

Norman Hunter....my mum really liked him (sorry Dad, if your reading).  He used to run a Sport shop "up the Gilda".  Was a really nice bloke...would always chat when I was buying my new Subbuteo teams!

Talking of "Big Time Charlie’s" that weren’t....was John Gregory....I said in a post the other week how great he was chatting with Joe, almost forgetting that he had a team to manage!

22 hours ago, bigbash said:

Ruud Gullit

We played Chelsea in a pre season friendly must have been about mid to late nineties.  He was a top player at the time and even though i knew it, until seeing him live I didn't realise how good.  I don't think he hardly left the centre circle the whole game but still completely controlled the game.  From memory (please correct me if i'm wrong) when he got subbed the whole ground stood and clapped him off.

Masterclass.

For me the best player ever.

Centre back, he could play there well, Left back, he could play there well, right back he could play there well, defensive midfield, he could play there well,  centre midfield, he could play there well, left wing, he could play there well, right wing, he could play there well, In the hole, he could play there well, up top, he could play there well.  God knows if he ever played in goal, but if there was ever a more complete player than Gullit then i have never seen one.

12 hours ago, spudski said:

Paul Scholes for me....different class live to what the camera shows you on TV. The movement off the ball and intelligence , knowing seemingly effortlessly where everyone was on the pitch.

Makalele another...pure class live.

best English midfielder I have seen in my lifetime

Against us:

Sno - Only a friendly but he absolutely ruined our midfield that day, couldn't believe it when we signed him. 

Britton - Think we lost 2-0 at home the year they got promoted, he absolutely ran the game, nobody got near to him. 

Mooy - Away game last season, he just looked so much better than anybody I've seen in this division before. 

As mentioned in earlier replies, I remember our players bouncing off Trevor Brooking, also Evander Sno in that friendly.

A bit of a curve ball though, we played Brum in a night match and they had Kenny Burns before he went to Florist and was converted to a defender, recall he was a right handful.

1 hour ago, jj77 said:

In this thread we've had Berbatov, Ian Wright, Scholes, Pogba, Rivaldo and Zidane.

All were 'better live' than you thought?

Did you not think they were any good to start with?

Yeah, get the impression the idea of the thread was to post about players who exceeded expectations live rather than universally reknowned quality!

Archived