IGNORED

The poor soles!

nickolas

23 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

he's complaining about playing on Christmas Eve and the impact on the fans travelling to the game, and other people involved (not the players).

If you believe that yeah. Its the annual complain about poor soles kicking a bag of air around too often in too short space of time. 

19 minutes ago, Super said:

Surely as football fans we have sympathy for the supporters? Sure we wouldnt be happy if we were playing somewhere up north xmas eve?! Shocking decision and yet again no thought for the fans.

1 hour ago, exAtyeoMax said:

he's complaining about playing on Christmas Eve and the impact on the fans travelling to the game, and other people involved (not the players).

With all due respect, folks, what are the fans themselves going to do about it?  

Boycott and protest or bend over and be shafted (metaphorically, of course)?

It seems moaning due to a shafting is the choice made.

If no one turns up to that game on Christmas Eve, then it will not happen next year.

No sympathy.

14 minutes ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

If no one turns up to that game on Christmas Eve, then it will not happen next year.

No sympathy.

but why should they miss out on their game this year? Or be totally inconvenienced by the situation in the first place?

38 minutes ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

No sympathy.

You really think if nobody turns up and more watch on sky they wont do the same next year?!

22 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

but why should they miss out on their game this year? Or be totally inconvenienced by the situation in the first place?

I'm largely playing devil's advocate eAM but let me tell you a little story....

Back in 1997 we played Watford at Vicarage Road just before Christmas, it was a top of the table six pointer.  

This was before the internet as we know it so the main City media sources were the paper OTIB fanzine, the greenun' and local tele/radio.

Watford announced, as it was such a big game, they were going to play music after any goals scored.

There were numorous letters, outpouring rage at the very idea of trying to 'Americanise' our game and "how dare they try to numb our atmosphere!".  5000ish of us still travelled (drowned out the tannoy) but other than a few people writing in to say that they were not best pleased by the proposition, nothing happened. 

There has been a gradual and continuing eroding of our football 'values' but nothing will change until us as a collective force it to.

You, Jurgen and Super continue to express your outrage or have a whinge if you like, but it'll make bugger little difference to anything.

14 minutes ago, Super said:

You really think if nobody turns up and more watch on sky they wont do the same next year?!

If, Super, the collective said "enough is enough" today and behave accordingly, then it will make a difference tomorrow, yes.

Appologies if that is not literal enough and a bit too theoretical.

When is 'enough enough'?  When Jurgen says so?

The People's game - my arse!

3 minutes ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

I'm largely playing devil's advocate eAM but let me tell you a little story....

Back in 1997 we played Watford at Vicarage Road just before Christmas, it was a top of the table six pointer.  

This was before the internet as we know it so the main City media sources were the paper OTIB fanzine, the greenun' and local tele/radio.

Watford announced, as it was such a big game, they were going to play music after any goals scored.

There were numorous letters, outpouring rage at the very idea of trying to 'Americanise' our game and "how dare they try to numb our atmosphere!".  5000ish of us still travelled (drowned out the tannoy) but other than a few people writing in to say that they were not best pleased by the proposition, nothing happened. 

There has been a gradual and continuing eroding of our football 'values' but nothing will change until us as a collective force it to.

You, Jurgen and Super continue to express your outrage or have a whinge if you like, but it'll make bugger little difference to anything.

yes, but surely it's worse not to say anything at all! 

Nothing will change (at the top) as I can see because too much money/power is invested in it. It's very sad but I feel that the small person still has to display some kind of resistance or one would feel that all hope is lost… :city:  

Plus, originally, I was clarifying what the article was actually stating, as I felt some people thought it was about players whinging…

17 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

yes, but surely it's worse not to say anything at all! 

Nothing will change (at the top) as I can see because too much money/power is invested in it. It's very sad but I feel that the small person still has to display some kind of resistance or one would feel that all hope is lost… :city:  

Plus, originally, I was clarifying what the article was actually stating, as I felt some people thought it was about players whinging…

Well it is good to talk :city:

The small people can and do express themselves when the time's right (see Brexit) but collectively we are usually so bloody useless it's embarrassing, given the might we do have.  

Individual resistance, although possibly helpful for the individual is inevitably futile re the greater scheme of things.

However, I cringe every time I read on here that £28 is acceptable for the 'walk up fan'.  The membership scheme makes it acceptable if you're prepared to pay around £130 for four games of second flight football.  The "I'm alright Jack - as I can commit to an S/T at £17 a game" attitude.  

I just think: I wish you would know what it's like to be not 'alright Jack' and something actually effects you to the point that you're reaching out the hand of solidarity and trying to make live football more accessible, as it was.

We don't do it very well in this country, we're the poorer for it.

Anyway COYR :city:

Archived