IGNORED

The Official Ipswich Town v Bristol City Match Day Thread 11

This has got either 1 or 3 points for City WRITTEN ALL OVER IT.

Likely we will leapfrog Ipswidge into the playoffs.

City going like a steam train under Johnson.

Probably win the playoffs, and be in the Prem next season.

Johnson gets another transfer window, completes his masterpiece and actually DOES get us into the Europa League.

"Shit!!!!!!"

:badmood::badmood::badmood:

tfj

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
9 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

"Your football is s---!" they shouted. "Your football is s---! Mick McCarthy, your football is s---!" Ipswich fans last season.

McCarthy shook hands with his opposite number, Kenny Jackett, and began the long walk from the benches on the halfway line to the tunnel in the far corner of the stadium. As he walked, the fans he passed intensified their volume, booing him all the way. Near the entrance to the tunnel, one man unleashed a ferocious staccato, first violin to the swelling symphony of catcalls around McCarthy.

"W---er! W---er! W---er! W---er! W---er! W---er! W---er!"

McCarthy, chin stiffened, eyes focused forward, didn't react. He simply strode down the tunnel and into the dressing room before the heavy, blue doors shut firmly behind him.

Whether at a World Cup or in the Premier League, he imposes principles from above. He makes a point of shaking the hand and learning the name of everyone at the club. He insists that his players be polite at all times, that they greet visitors to the club with courtesy. His staff are fiercely loyal; his personal assistant, Francesca Manning, bristles when we discuss the intensifying dissent in the crowd. Yet the team aren't scoring goals, and they aren't winning games.

That was last season. 

Ipswich Town is a most peculiar football club. If you didn't know their history, you might be tempted to consider them one of those provincial English oddities, an entirely unremarkable team drawing regular crowds of loyal locals but attracting little attention from anyone else. But the past is littered with rueful ex-footballers who underestimated Ipswich in a similar manner and paid the price.

In 1962, Alf Ramsey won the league with Ipswich. In 1978, Bobby Robson won the FA Cup, and the UEFA Cup followed in 1981. This was after poor results had the fans calling for his head, but chairman John Cobbold's response was to award Robson a new contract.

"There is no crisis at Ipswich until the white wine runs out in the boardroom," he said at the time.

In 2001, their first season back after a five-year absence, George Burley had Ipswich in the Premier League title race until they ran out of steam in the final weeks of the season and slipped to fifth. It has been some time since there was anything to celebrate at Ipswich.

In spite of a poor season last year McCarthy has finished in respectable upper half positions in his previous seasons managing Ipswich on a very meagre budget and with the club regularly posting a loss for the year as most if not all clubs do in the Championship not on a parachute back up. He received a lot of abuse last season. But like I recall Sean O'Driscoll saying on many occasions he repeats the mantra of 'I do not read the press'.

He goes on to say, "But reading it is just self-defeating. Why would you want to read or listen to peoples' comments if they're being critical? It's a bit like social media, which I'm not on, either. So if you see somebody say they're Mick McCarthy on Twitter -- or 'Twitter,' as I like to call it -- then it's not me."

Mick McCarthy is easily the longest serving manager in the Championship having been appointed in November 2012. 

Mick McCarthy and Eric Blair have something in common. Well I think they do. They both take solace from walking the banks of the River Orwell, a majestic and hypnotic body of water. Eric Blair was so enamoured with it that he took its name and became George Orwell taking much of his writing inspiration from his time meandering its course. The River Orwell flows entirely within the county of Suffolk. It is only about 20 km long and flows from the River Gipping to the River Stour estuary. The Orwell enters the North Sea at Harwich, near the port of Felixstowe. And of course the Orwell flows through Ipswich that place that is proud to have produced two of Englands better managers, Sir Alf Ramsey and Sir Bobby Robson but the club remains a peculiar place. Is it perhaps because Ipswich is said to be the longest inhabited town in the United Kingdom? Perhaps the people are just, well, more grounded, obscure, happy and sad and satisfied with it all than words can convey?

Mick is no mug. Inspired perhaps by his solitude or the fresh air where he allows himself the luxury of inner patience with all the nonsense of short term clamours for change at the first sight of failure. Ipswich have form for holding on to a manager and this season, at least so far, it seems that patience by owner Evans might pay off. Playing Ipswich at Portman Road might just provide City with their toughest challenge of the season to date. How many people would have said that at the start of the season? Not I. And that is what makes this division so challenging, so stressful, so exciting and oh so unpredictable. 

To all those hardy souls going to Suffolk today do enjoy the trip. There is certainly plenty to see in the fair county and the town itself has much to offer; if ye shall seek ye shall find. Aldburgh for fish and chips might be a bit far out of town but just reward if you do; the best in Britain.

Cheers ye'all.

p.s. thanks to ESPN for much of the story on Mick.

Condensed Version

Ipswich

Peculiar shithole full of w**kers

1-1

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
18 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

"Your football is s---!" they shouted. "Your football is s---! Mick McCarthy, your football is s---!" Ipswich fans last season.

McCarthy shook hands with his opposite number, Kenny Jackett, and began the long walk from the benches on the halfway line to the tunnel in the far corner of the stadium. As he walked, the fans he passed intensified their volume, booing him all the way. Near the entrance to the tunnel, one man unleashed a ferocious staccato, first violin to the swelling symphony of catcalls around McCarthy.

"W---er! W---er! W---er! W---er! W---er! W---er! W---er!"

McCarthy, chin stiffened, eyes focused forward, didn't react. He simply strode down the tunnel and into the dressing room before the heavy, blue doors shut firmly behind him.

Whether at a World Cup or in the Premier League, he imposes principles from above. He makes a point of shaking the hand and learning the name of everyone at the club. He insists that his players be polite at all times, that they greet visitors to the club with courtesy. His staff are fiercely loyal; his personal assistant, Francesca Manning, bristles when we discuss the intensifying dissent in the crowd. Yet the team aren't scoring goals, and they aren't winning games.

That was last season. 

Ipswich Town is a most peculiar football club. If you didn't know their history, you might be tempted to consider them one of those provincial English oddities, an entirely unremarkable team drawing regular crowds of loyal locals but attracting little attention from anyone else. But the past is littered with rueful ex-footballers who underestimated Ipswich in a similar manner and paid the price.

In 1962, Alf Ramsey won the league with Ipswich. In 1978, Bobby Robson won the FA Cup, and the UEFA Cup followed in 1981. This was after poor results had the fans calling for his head, but chairman John Cobbold's response was to award Robson a new contract.

"There is no crisis at Ipswich until the white wine runs out in the boardroom," he said at the time.

In 2001, their first season back after a five-year absence, George Burley had Ipswich in the Premier League title race until they ran out of steam in the final weeks of the season and slipped to fifth. It has been some time since there was anything to celebrate at Ipswich.

In spite of a poor season last year McCarthy has finished in respectable upper half positions in his previous seasons managing Ipswich on a very meagre budget and with the club regularly posting a loss for the year as most if not all clubs do in the Championship not on a parachute back up. He received a lot of abuse last season. But like I recall Sean O'Driscoll saying on many occasions he repeats the mantra of 'I do not read the press'.

He goes on to say, "But reading it is just self-defeating. Why would you want to read or listen to peoples' comments if they're being critical? It's a bit like social media, which I'm not on, either. So if you see somebody say they're Mick McCarthy on Twitter -- or 'Twitter,' as I like to call it -- then it's not me."

Mick McCarthy is easily the longest serving manager in the Championship having been appointed in November 2012. 

Mick McCarthy and Eric Blair have something in common. Well I think they do. They both take solace from walking the banks of the River Orwell, a majestic and hypnotic body of water. Eric Blair was so enamoured with it that he took its name and became George Orwell taking much of his writing inspiration from his time meandering its course. The River Orwell flows entirely within the county of Suffolk. It is only about 20 km long and flows from the River Gipping to the River Stour estuary. The Orwell enters the North Sea at Harwich, near the port of Felixstowe. And of course the Orwell flows through Ipswich that place that is proud to have produced two of Englands better managers, Sir Alf Ramsey and Sir Bobby Robson but the club remains a peculiar place. Is it perhaps because Ipswich is said to be the longest inhabited town in the United Kingdom? Perhaps the people are just, well, more grounded, obscure, happy and sad and satisfied with it all than words can convey?

Mick is no mug. Inspired perhaps by his solitude or the fresh air where he allows himself the luxury of inner patience with all the nonsense of short term clamours for change at the first sight of failure. Ipswich have form for holding on to a manager and this season, at least so far, it seems that patience by owner Evans might pay off. Playing Ipswich at Portman Road might just provide City with their toughest challenge of the season to date. How many people would have said that at the start of the season? Not I. And that is what makes this division so challenging, so stressful, so exciting and oh so unpredictable. 

To all those hardy souls going to Suffolk today do enjoy the trip. There is certainly plenty to see in the fair county and the town itself has much to offer; if ye shall seek ye shall find. Aldburgh for fish and chips might be a bit far out of town but just reward if you do; the best in Britain.

Cheers ye'all.

p.s. thanks to ESPN for much of the story on Mick.

All well and good H but you haven't told us anything about Ipswich or Suffolk . 

:whistle2:

Top match thread Mr H , thank you .

:clap:

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Starting to smell too at this time of year is it not Tone? Get your old banger Citroen BX out of there and back to the calm of the Dordogne.

That is not fair now!

Lots are things that have a bad smell are the best things in life.

Lets get some proper balance to this Match Thread?

tfj

OK so I did post this on the 'Ipswich' thread but I think it might be more an interesting comparative read here:-

Nov 10th, 2007..

There were just over 22,000 at Portman Road for that match and a very decent City away following. They will have nothing like that attendance today. We were 1 down on 5 minutes thanks to a Jon Walters goal which hit the back of the net as soon as i got to my seat slightly late for kick off. 2-0 down on 15 with a David Wright goal and the cacophony of noise was so demoralising. But City dug in for the rest of the half thankfully only to utterly capitulate early in the second just when we all thought right, now the fight back. 3-0 on 48 minutes with a Tommy Miller penalty.. Bradley Orr was it who brought down Walters? He was sent off for that. Down to 10 and 3 down.. Some City fans had seen enough and walked out in the 48th minute! I had never seen that before. Jon Walters again on 55 and the trickle started to become a real steady flow of leavers. I had a long drive back to London to contemplate, let alone the brave souls going to Bristol, but I paid my money and I stayed hoping for one goal. It never came. 5-0 on 65 minutes by Pablo Counago and Walters got his hattrick after 72 minutes to make it a really humiliating 6-0 thrashing. City were totally outclassed. 

I want vengeance today. Bury the ghost of that nightmare City because Johnson and McAllister played that day and they must have it on their conscience. 

City started the match in 4th and Ipswich in 6th. They must have wondered how on earth we were above them in the table; I sincerely hope we feel the same about them at 5pm today.

By the way Trundle was an unused sub with Byfield and Sproule up front.

Edited by havanatopia
3 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

OK so I did post this on the 'Ipswich' thread but I think it might be more read and an interesting comparative read here:-

Nov 7th, 2007..

There were just over 22,000 at Portman Road for that match and a very decent City away following. They will have nothing like that attendance today. We were 1 down on 5 minutes thanks to a Jon Walters goal which hit the back of the net as soon as i got to my seat slightly late for kick off. 2-0 down on 15 with a David Wright goal and the cacophony of noise was so demoralising. But City dug in for the rest of the half thankfully only to utterly capitulate early in the second just when we all thought right, now the fight back. 3-0 on 48 minutes with a Tommy Miller penalty.. Bradley Orr was it who brought down Walters? He was sent off for that. Down to 10 and 3 down.. Some City fans had seen enough and walked out in the 48th minute! I had never seen that before. Jon Walters again on 55 and the trickle started to become a real steady flow of leavers. I had a long drive back to London to contemplate, let alone the brave souls going to Bristol, but I paid my money and I stayed hoping for one goal. It never came. 5-0 on 65 minutes by Pablo Counago and Walters got his hattrick after 72 minutes to make it a really humiliating 6-0 thrashing. City were totally outclassed. 

I want vengeance today. Bury the ghost of that nightmare City because Johnson and McAllister played that day and they must have it on their conscience. 

City started the match in 4th and Ipswich in 6th. They have must have wondered how on earth we were above them in the table; I sincerely hope we feel the same about them at 5pm today.

Lee Trundle, by the way, was an unused sub with Byfield and Sproule up front.

Vengeance?

This is a side to you we have not previously seen.

I suppose no-one is a complete saint ................

5 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

COME ON YOU REDSSSS, GET YOURSELVES INTO THE TOP 6 AND DAMN WELL STAY THERE!

Expecting City to scrape a 1-0 win, thanks to a bundled ball over the line, probably off of Flint or Diedhou's backside in the 71st minute.

Oh how I would take that result right now! 1-1 for me with Reid grabbing a late equaliser 

32 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Starting to smell too at this time of year is it not Tone? Get your old banger Citroen BX out of there and back to the calm of the Dordogne.

It will be a tad on the bugle.  However, white wine & stinky cheese in the Doggydoo ..................... nice idea :thumbsup:

Edited by BigTone
  • Like 1
47 minutes ago, Taxi for Johnson said:

When we are playing in the Europa League, under LEE JOHNSON'S stewardship, and we draw FC Venice, FC Florence, or Nice, can you confirm you will be calling these places out as 'shit-holes'?

:yawn:

tfj

When we are playing in the Europa league; based on recent vagaries of various cup draws, there is a high probability of playing Gillingham.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2