IGNORED

The Official Ipswich Town v Bristol City Match Day Thread 11

57 minutes ago, Taxi for Johnson said:

This has got either 1 or 3 points for City WRITTEN ALL OVER IT.

Likely we will leapfrog Ipswidge into the playoffs.

City going like a *steam train under Johnson.

Probably win the playoffs, and be in the Prem next season.

Johnson gets another transfer window, completes his masterpiece and actually DOES get us into the Europa League.

"Shit!!!!!!"

:badmood::badmood::badmood:

tfj

Loco for Johnson ... ??

(cancel the Taxi ... take the train!)

20 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

I think we're still a bit fragile away from AG, will be more than happy with a point

I would say we're  stubborn away from home . We don't look fragile at all.

Last season I agree but this one the lads have ' grown up ' and we manage games so much better.

We don't crumble against the home pressure . We  aren't so ' gung ho ' but we are coming away with points and gaining more and more confidence with each performance.

• Like 1

Morning Hav and all. 

Great thread Hav. Mick is an absolute stalwart of the old school. I once watched his eulogy from the funeral of Mr Barnsley (can't remember the name - apologies) and Mick came across as just a genuinely decent, down to earth fella. 

Going to be horribly battered today I feel. Dreading 5pm on here. 3-1 to Town...

• Like 1
Just popped on the Bristol City forum and seen this on 16:10 - Sep 29 by nshearman1

I'm in Barrow Gurney now. A friend gave me his season ticket for the Bolton game as he couldn't go, you are a decent side this year, 'tight' as a number of you mention on Harry's forum summary. I think you will give us a battle but after our fireworks this week I personally think it will be more of a scrap than a football feast - but I am known as a moaner on here. Apart from those you mention, I was very impressed with young Joe Bryan on Tuesday. Your stadium is also very impressive, it seemed to me that you've managed to keep the noise and excitement of an older stadium while turning it into a modern one. 
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

OK so I did post this on the 'Ipswich' thread but I think it might be more an interesting comparative read here:-

Nov 10th, 2007.. Some City fans had seen enough and walked out in the 48th minute! I had never seen that before. 

Blackpool away needing a win for a PO place, started well before half time, in fact before the half hour mark

Edited by cheshire_red
33 minutes ago, Coombsy said:
Just popped on the Bristol City forum and seen this on 16:10 - Sep 29 by nshearman1

I'm in Barrow Gurney now. A friend gave me his season ticket for the Bolton game as he couldn't go, you are a decent side this year, 'tight' as a number of you mention on Harry's forum summary. I think you will give us a battle but after our fireworks this week I personally think it will be more of a scrap than a football feast - but I am known as a moaner on here. Apart from those you mention, I was very impressed with young Joe Bryan on Tuesday. Your stadium is also very impressive, it seemed to me that you've managed to keep the noise and excitement of an older stadium while turning it into a modern one. 

Visiting Brother Ernie I expect..

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
41 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I would say we're  stubborn away from home . We don't look fragile at all.

Last season I agree but this one the lads have ' grown up ' and we manage games so much better.

We don't crumble against the home pressure . We  aren't so ' gung ho ' but we are coming away with points and gaining more and more confidence with each performance.

We were definitely fragile at Brentford and to a lesser extent at Birmingham and Wolves but got some points because we can also score

9 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

Visiting Brother Ernie I expect..

Whatever happened to that mural in the East End? Was it just knocked down, anyone know?

I imagine this will go down like a lead balloon with the club but wouldn't it be nice if we could do a bit more decoration in the singing sections? Theres room for it, at least get something hung up there rather than grey walls.

1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

Nov 10th, 2007..

There were just over 22,000 at Portman Road for that match and a very decent City away following. They will have nothing like that attendance today. We were 1 down on 5 minutes thanks to a Jon Walters goal which hit the back of the net as soon as i got to my seat slightly late for kick off. 2-0 down on 15 with a David Wright goal and the cacophony of noise was so demoralising. But City dug in for the rest of the half thankfully only to utterly capitulate early in the second just when we all thought right, now the fight back. 3-0 on 48 minutes with a Tommy Miller penalty.. Bradley Orr was it who brought down Walters? He was sent off for that. Down to 10 and 3 down.. Some City fans had seen enough and walked out in the 48th minute! I had never seen that before. Jon Walters again on 55 and the trickle started to become a real steady flow of leavers. I had a long drive back to London to contemplate, let alone the brave souls going to Bristol, but I paid my money and I stayed hoping for one goal. It never came. 5-0 on 65 minutes by Pablo Counago and Walters got his hattrick after 72 minutes to make it a really humiliating 6-0 thrashing. City were totally outclassed.

God, I remember that. Wasn't there, but was on a stag-do pub crawl, along with an old friend who was an Ipswich season ticket holder. My pre-match banter soon went quiet. :(

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I like Mick, a lot.

The football is basic but he is 100% honest and one of few these days not to blame the ref, weird circumstances (hello Darrell)  etc when losing.

He took horrendous stick last season despite having no funds at all and is not the longest serving manager in the division for no reason.

I also loved his reaction early in the season when asked about their fans signing "super Mick McCarthy" after their latest win.

He Said (on Radio Suffolk) " I pay no attention to it, it is all a load of bollocks, isn't it, the very same people wanted me sacked last season".

Honest, proper bloke.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, havanatopia said:

OK so I did post this on the 'Ipswich' thread but I think it might be more an interesting comparative read here:-

Nov 10th, 2007..

There were just over 22,000 at Portman Road for that match and a very decent City away following. They will have nothing like that attendance today. We were 1 down on 5 minutes thanks to a Jon Walters goal which hit the back of the net as soon as i got to my seat slightly late for kick off. 2-0 down on 15 with a David Wright goal and the cacophony of noise was so demoralising. But City dug in for the rest of the half thankfully only to utterly capitulate early in the second just when we all thought right, now the fight back. 3-0 on 48 minutes with a Tommy Miller penalty.. Bradley Orr was it who brought down Walters? He was sent off for that. Down to 10 and 3 down.. Some City fans had seen enough and walked out in the 48th minute! I had never seen that before. Jon Walters again on 55 and the trickle started to become a real steady flow of leavers. I had a long drive back to London to contemplate, let alone the brave souls going to Bristol, but I paid my money and I stayed hoping for one goal. It never came. 5-0 on 65 minutes by Pablo Counago and Walters got his hattrick after 72 minutes to make it a really humiliating 6-0 thrashing. City were totally outclassed. 

I want vengeance today. Bury the ghost of that nightmare City because Johnson and McAllister played that day and they must have it on their conscience. 

City started the match in 4th and Ipswich in 6th. They must have wondered how on earth we were above them in the table; I sincerely hope we feel the same about them at 5pm today.

By the way Trundle was an unused sub with Byfield and Sproule up front.

Went to that game and felt suicidal afterwards. Walking around Ipswich following the game I thought I'd strayed onto the set for "Sean of the Dead" and thought about offering myself as a properly dead crowd extra. You would have thought we had won 5 nil instead of Ipswich. Their fans were zombie fans. What a joyless place

2 hours ago, Taxi for Johnson said:

City going like a steam train under Johnson.

Johnson gets another transfer window, completes his masterpiece and actually DOES get us into the Europa League.

"Shit!!!!!!"

tfj

So glad to see that there are still people with a firm grasp of sarcasm........

Whilst I do not believe we will be in the playoffs at Christmas/end of the season....we can't ignore that the team have been playing well (or getting results....which ever way you want to look at it) of late. They do deserve some credit for that at least.

As for your hatred of LJ .....I still remember last season...........as most of us do......you have to go through the lows to get to the (potential) highs......if results turn I have no doubt that there will be less time given to him this season....he has however seemingly created a positive environment which is allowing our players to flourish....I think we should all just enjoy it for however long it lasts.......

Vengeance?

This is a side to you we have not previously seen.

I suppose no-one is a complete saint ................

Legal vengeance with only psychological brain damage to the losers.

2 hours ago, pongo88 said:

An aximious post as always @havanatopia . The only thing that has changed over time, is that last year your posts were much more interesting than the actual City performances. This year the football is often as good as the match day intro

Eximious squire. Tis eximious. Thanks all the same.

1 hour ago, Septic Peg said:

Morning Hav and all. 

Great thread Hav. Mick is an absolute stalwart of the old school. I once watched his eulogy from the funeral of Mr Barnsley (can't remember the name - apologies) and Mick came across as just a genuinely decent, down to earth fella. 

Going to be horribly battered today I feel. Dreading 5pm on here. 3-1 to Town...

I was going to like the post but that felt wrong with that last remark. Awfully negative of you Pegs. ;(

1 hour ago, Atyeo's lift said:

Great post as always, Hav, but isn't it Colchester that is the longest inhabited town in England? Ipswich was much later.

According to my research no the operative word here being 'continuous'. But do dig deeper and let me know.

Edited by havanatopia
  • Like 1

Afternoon all from grey Tallinn, temperature around 10 C, a perfect afternoon for sitting at the computer and listening to the game.  Still, I don't feel too confident today, I feel this could be the end of our unbeaten run (after all it has to end sometime) however, we may manage to scrape a draw, a win and I will be over the moon. So get everything going boys from the off and  COYR's.

• Like 2

City going like a steam train under Johnson.

"Shit!!!!!!"

tfj

Taxi for Taxi for Johnson...

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Still, I don't feel too confident today, I feel this could be the end of our unbeaten run (after all it has to end sometime) however, we may manage to scrape a draw, a win and I will be over the moon

This.  The one thing that helps the confidence a little is that our defence has been more solid recently than last year. Just hope they haven't figured out running at Flint rather than lumping high balls in near him!  

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

Went to that game and felt suicidal afterwards. Walking around Ipswich following the game I thought I'd strayed onto the set for "Sean of the Dead" and thought about offering myself as a properly dead crowd extra. You would have thought we had won 5 nil instead of Ipswich. Their fans were zombie fans. What a joyless place

That's because Ipswich had won 6-0 and not 5-0. It would depress me if City beat a team at or near the top of the table 6-0 and the visiting fans thought it was 5-0.