IGNORED

The Official 'I don't really watch England any more, but I'm kind of, sort of, maybe watching/following England v Slovenia but only ironically/so I can moan about how bad we are/because I'm a glutton for punishment Match day Thread.

BCFC Rich

2 hours ago, hodge said:

I predict a dull 1-0 win and then all the pundits will rave about how England are in the world cup and the hype train will start to build for what everyone else knows will be another summer of disappointment.

5 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

So England mediocre their way through a group of shite teams to qualify for a World Cup where will undoubtedly go no further than the quarters at the very, very best.

Not sure I've ever heard mediocre as a verb. But I absolutely love it. 

I wish there was a media outlet that did the interviews we all want to hear...

"So Gareth, that was turgid dogshit wasn't it?"

"What was the calamitous brain trauma that resulted in the total masterstroke of putting Sterling in as a playmaker through the middle then?"

"Are you the last person on earth who still reckons there's a footballer hiding inside Henderson?"

"Have you made sightseeing plans for Russia when the group stages are over?"

"Are you planning on taking 22 defensive midfielders and 1 goalie or will you go balls out for 23?"

7 minutes ago, Nibor said:

I wish there was a media outlet that did the interviews we all want to hear...

"So Gareth, that was turgid dogshit wasn't it?"

"What was the calamitous brain trauma that resulted in the total masterstroke of putting Sterling in as a playmaker through the middle then?"

"Are you the last person on earth who still reckons there's a footballer hiding inside Henderson?"

"Have you made sightseeing plans for Russia when the group stages are over?"

"Are you planning on taking 22 defensive midfielders and 1 goalie or will you go balls out for 23?"

someone like Greavsy…he'd tell 'em

This match just confirmed what we already knew. By international standards England are a distinctly average, if not a poor side. We have below average keepers and defenders, average midfielders which, bereft of Lallana, lack ingenuity, and reasonable forwards. We have no world class players, although in time Kane and Ali have a chance of becoming such. 

We qualified from the group because it was weak, filled with teams that have nothing like the number of players that England can call upon. Unless we are given the equivalent in the World Cup draw we will not qualify from the group in Russia and will come home from another tournament in shame. 

We have no 'worldies' so our only chance is to build a team based on hard work, high momentum, high pressing. Very much like City.

We have to pick a team who can deliver that. We need to dip into whatever pool of 'talent' to deliver that team. Bit late now... but he has to look beyond to the 'big 6' and include the Championship in his search. Identify the role then fit the player rather than the other way round.

Archived