IGNORED

Old City pics.

Ska Junkie

4 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

For those a little older than me, how good a player was Kevin Beattie? I hear a lot that he was a top player

What happened with him, injuries I guess?

Very good indeed but blighted by injuries which led to his premature retirement IIRC.

3 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Very good indeed but blighted by injuries which led to his premature retirement IIRC.

Hell of a team Ipswich had back then. I remember Muhren and Thijssen (spelling?) really well, but I missed out on Beattie. Anyone from the same era talks really highly of him

3 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Hell of a team Ipswich had back then. I remember Muhren and Thijssen (spelling?) really well, but I missed out on Beattie. Anyone from the same era talks really highly of him

Indeed, a great side. I'm no Ipswich fan but would stand a chance of naming it as they were that good.

Cooper

Burley  Osman Beattie Mills

Wark  Thiissen  Muhren  Gates

Mariner   Brazil

I bet that isn't far away.

6 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Indeed, a great side. I'm no Ipswich fan but would stand a chance of naming it as they were that good.

Cooper

Burley  Osman Beattie Mills

Wark  Thiissen  Muhren  Gates

Mariner   Brazil

I bet that isn't far away.

Butcher instead of Osman, Whymark instead of Mariner, and probably Talbot instead of Gates, but the team evolved so you're not far out Ska.

Great team assembled by a superb manager.

23 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Butcher instead of Osman, Whymark instead of Mariner, and probably Talbot instead of Gates, but the team evolved so you're not far out Ska.

Great team assembled by a superb manager.

Blimey, there's some names from the past! Trevor Whymark, what a good and underrated player he was. I totally agree about the Manager too.

Good work Noggers et all. I really enjoy old stuff like this, it would be nice if we could keep it going with other old pics.

1 hour ago, Ska Junkie said:

Who's the City player in this pic? Season 78/79. We have a bit of a debate going on and I need an answer. It might be handy to have a thread of old pic questions anyway.

I reckon it's Jimmy Mann and a fellow red reckons it's Joe Royle.

Image may contain: 1 person, playing a sport

Anelka. It's always Anelka.

1 hour ago, Woodsy said:

There’s a story that while they were filming Escape To Victory Beattie had an arm wrestle with Sylvester Stallone and beat him, and that for the rest of the time they were together filming Stallone refused to talk to him after! Shame it never put him off making Over The Top! Anyone who’s seen that film will know what I mean.

4 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Blimey, there's some names from the past! Trevor Whymark, what a good and underrated player he was.

He was also picked as Man Of The Match for the 1978 FA Cup Final, despite being an unused squad player. I believe Margaret Thatcher was picking the MoM and took his name at random from a list.

Wark went to Liverpool, and although the didn’t play as well as at Ipswich, he still scored a fair few goals from midfield.

Eric Gates - the moaniest player I’ve ever seen at AG....for Sunderland.

Mariner - at one point him and Cheesely vying for England u23 honours....fine lines and injuries.

Paul Cooper - penalty save King.

Was it true that Roger Osborne never kicked a ball again for Ipswich after his cup final winner?

Brazil was a very good player.  Easy to think of him as an overweight radio presenter, but he was very good.

47 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Wark went to Liverpool, and although the didn’t play as well as at Ipswich, he still scored a fair few goals from midfield.

Eric Gates - the moaniest player I’ve ever seen at AG....for Sunderland.

Mariner - at one point him and Cheesely vying for England u23 honours....fine lines and injuries.

Paul Cooper - penalty save King.

Was it true that Roger Osborne never kicked a ball again for Ipswich after his cup final winner?

Brazil was a very good player.  Easy to think of him as an overweight radio presenter, but he was very good.

Seems to be close, but no cigar.

Certainly his last kick in the final but not his last game for Ipswich:

In 1978, he was part of the Ipswich team that won the FA Cup against Arsenal, scoring the winning goal in the 77th minute, in a 1-0 victory. His celebration upon scoring the winning goal caused him to faint and be substituted with only ten minutes of the match remaining.[2] In 1979, he was loaned to NASL side Detroit Express, for whom he played 22 matches. Osborne played his final game for Ipswich on 15 November 1980 in a league match against Leicester City.[3]

Archived