IGNORED

We won't cry for you Argentina

Malago

Now the USA join the list of high profile countries who haven't qualified, Panama have made it in for the first time, and it's Honduras v Australia in the play offs.

The USA's failure is a disaster for tournament organisers or those selling TV rights, advertising or corporate packages! There were loads of American fans in both South Africa and Brazil...in fact I think the US were one of the best supported teams in both tournaments. 

13 minutes ago, North London Red said:

Now the USA join the list of high profile countries who haven't qualified, Panama have made it in for the first time, and it's Honduras v Australia in the play offs.

The USA's failure is a disaster for tournament organisers or those selling TV rights, advertising or corporate packages! There were loads of American fans in both South Africa and Brazil...in fact I think the US were one of the best supported teams in both tournaments. 

I think USA as a nation purchased the most tickets for 2010, albeit including all of the other nationalities living there.

Certainly were loads at the games in Rustenburg I attended.

5 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

I think USA as a nation purchased the most tickets for 2010, albeit including all of the other nationalities living there.

Certainly were loads at the games in Rustenburg I attended.

Yes, I remember there being loads in Rustenberg at the England v USA game (Rob Green's nightmare match) and also crossing paths with loads more for the remainder of the time I spent in South Africa.

Brazil was a similar story and made all the more impressive by the fact that US passport holders had to apply for Brazilian visas before travel, unlike most fans from European countries. I didn't quite cross paths with as many as in South Africa as the Americans arrived in Manaus a day or two after we left, but I'm aware loads travelled.

11 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Just looking at those brief highlights, and I see Jordan, Dalglish and Macari, Willie Johnston and Asa Hartford with big Gordon McQueen at the back.

How can things change so dramatically in just 40 years?

It said something that Gerry Gow or Tom Ritchie couldn't get in the team despite being quality in the First Division.

8 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

I don't mind Argentina if truth be told.

Have put the game on: could be interesting stuff.

Having travelled in Argentina I can assure you that the Argies ' mind ' the Brits.

They are still banging on about " Las Malvinas " properly known as the Falkland Islands .

:disapointed2se:

In fact having travelled all around the world ( still can't find my baby :pacifier:) most countries ' mind ' the Brits .

Those countries ' colonised ' and those countries who were angry because we didn't colonise them .

Hey you , British Empire , so you donna want to colonise us eh ? 

Not good enough for your majesty I suppose ? 

You posh imperialist basta rds .

15 hours ago, BA14 RED said:

FIFA will not have Argentina not qualifying with the amount of commercial money they'd make on Messi alone.
See World Cup 1978 for the scandal of Peru conceding 6 to Argentina as well, would not surprise me if Ecuador were paid off.

You say that, but the USA just failed to qualify, and IIRC FIFA make more money from the yanks than anyone else during a World Cup campaign.

It's probably the only time every four years that the whole country gives a shit about football, and now they'll have destroyed all that growth over the last decade.

Germany, Brazil & France the 3 favorites you'd think? Argentina & Spain will be in the mix I imagine, Belgium always have high hopes but usually crumble. Italy will probably scrape through their play offs to qualify, but then will do well in the tournament like they always do.

England to scrape through a poor group in 2nd place on 5 points, win a last 16 tie 1-0 against one of the African nations through pure luck and a set piece, before crashing out to a decent outfit in the quarters. 

Am I missing anything?!

4 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Germany, Brazil & France the 3 favorites you'd think? Argentina & Spain will be in the mix I imagine, Belgium always have high hopes but usually crumble. Italy will probably scrape through their play offs to qualify, but then will do well in the tournament like they always do.

England to scrape through a poor group in 2nd place on 5 points, win a last 16 tie 1-0 against one of the African nations through pure luck and a set piece, before crashing out to a decent outfit in the quarters. 

Am I missing anything?!

Sounds about right TBH. Personally, I've given up on waiting for England to surprise us but wait for the media to 'big' them up as the tournament approaches because we'll probably draw with Germany's reserves in a friendly.

I genuinely don't think we've got any world class players at the moment, not one.

3 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Sounds about right TBH. Personally, I've given up on waiting for England to surprise us but wait for the media to 'big' them up as the tournament approaches because we'll probably draw with Germany's reserves in a friendly.

I genuinely don't think we've got any world class players at the moment, not one.

Kane is on the verge of 'World Class' with his scoring record being right up there in 2017 with the very best. Alli still has a chance of becoming a very special player, but his form this season has been poor and he still has work to do on his temperament and 'game head'.

The rest seem to play well for their clubs but offer very little for the national team.

But Southgate though.... Surely that doesn't help

16 hours ago, BA14 RED said:

FIFA will not have Argentina not qualifying with the amount of commercial money they'd make on Messi alone.
See World Cup 1978 for the scandal of Peru conceding 6 to Argentina as well, would not surprise me if Ecuador were paid off.

My thoughts exactly.

I've often wondered what would happen, if during the qualification stages, it looked like Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Italy, Spain, England etc....the big footballing nations were all in danger of not qualifying.

There would be more 'brown envelopes' than in 'arry's back pocket.

26 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Kane is on the verge of 'World Class' with his scoring record being right up there in 2017 with the very best. Alli still has a chance of becoming a very special player, but his form this season has been poor and he still has work to do on his temperament and 'game head'.

The rest seem to play well for their clubs but offer very little for the national team.

But Southgate though.... Surely that doesn't help

Kane's a finisher, I'll give you that but 'World' class? I agree about Dele Alli by the way.

11 hours ago, 54-46 said:

Ditto mate, can’t stand them.  Seem to have a history of having some absolute cocksockets in their ranks  

Am always astounded to see blokes wandering round Bristol in an Argie shirt as well. They never look Argentinian so only other excuse could be that their Scottish. Do see a fair few though and it always annoys me - probably more than it should tbf!

I know, the Argie shirt bugs me as well. I know a lot of Scots brought them after France 98, but didn't a lot of English fans buy them as well as some kind of protest against Beckham / United too? Something rings a bell there

Can I congratulate you on the use of cocksocket? That is a new one from me, and I am going to unashamedly steal it. Thank you!!

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Having travelled in Argentina I can assure you that the Argies ' mind ' the Brits.

They are still banging on about " Las Malvinas " properly known as the Falkland Islands .

:disapointed2se:

In fact having travelled all around the world ( still can't find my baby :pacifier:) most countries ' mind ' the Brits .

Those countries ' colonised ' and those countries who were angry because we didn't colonise them .

Hey you , British Empire , so you donna want to colonise us eh ? 

Not good enough for your majesty I suppose ? 

You posh imperialist basta rds .

I have been to Buenos Aires twice and, given it is the only country I have visited that Britain has been at war with in my lifetime, I had no grief whatsoever and met some lovely people. I will note that down in Ushuaia they play the Malvinas card rather more.

40 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

I know, the Argie shirt bugs me as well. I know a lot of Scots brought them after France 98, but didn't a lot of English fans buy them as well as some kind of protest against Beckham / United too? Something rings a bell there

Can I congratulate you on the use of cocksocket? That is a new one from me, and I am going to unashamedly steal it. Thank you!!

I know United fans would chant Argentina, and likely some bought shirts: from memory that was in protest at the general vilification of Beckham from August 1998 onwards: hanged effigy at Upton Park rings a bell.

1 hour ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Am I missing anything?!

Southgate is sacked, and replaced by a young up and coming English coach..................

No not dopey!

Archived