IGNORED

Celtic are of lower/mid table Championship quality.

Ashtonwurzel

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I know this isn't a popular view on here at all (and I fully expect a few 'rubbish' reacts :P) but I'd love to see the Old Firm clubs playing in England. Both huge clubs in their own right and would shake things up.

Obviously they'd have to start at the bottom and work their way up - but I'd quite like to see it happen.

I vaguely remember when Rangers were relegated some tentative discussions about them taking over a small northern club in financial trouble and 'moving' the club to Glasgow to become Rangers ala MK Dons. Think it was Bury or Stockport.

I wouldnt want Celtic anywhere near our leagues.

Disgusting vile club.

1 hour ago, cheshire_red said:

If a club comes bottom of the Premiership the prize (!!) is £50m if a club wins the Scottish Premiership the prize is £1m. Therefore of course Celtic or whoever might win that League cannot compete on wages. Give them £50m plus and of course they would within a few years alongside crowds of 50k plus .

The prize money for finishing bottom of the English Premier League is less than £2m - but the TV money etc bumps it up to over £90m! Sunderland got £93m for finishing bottom last season!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40125394

15 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

Well we’ve allowed Welsh teams into the English leagues, so why not Scottish? The majority of the clubs in Scotland are part-time, similar to the majority of Welsh clubs in the Welsh leagues.

Celtic get what, 60,000 crowds for every home game irrespective of who they are playing? So if they did join The EPL & get all of the financial benefits that come with it (TV money, sponsorship & inflated player values) they would be able to compete for better more expensive players & pay the wages as well, so I see no reason why they couldn’t hold their own, they’d likely be a better club than Burnley, Palace, Watford etc.

can you imagine the Jocks debating to help us? - never in a million years, stuff 'em! - we don't want the hatred & sectarianism of Celtic polluting our leagues - this country's in a big enough mess as it is!

Somewhere in the top half of the Championship would be my guess as to their relative quality but it's so difficult to tell when 90% of their games are against League 2 standard opposition and the rest are often against the very best Europe has to offer. They have very few games against opponents that could be considered on a par with them. Anderlecht I suppose but you would need a bigger pool of such games to really judge.

31 minutes ago, Nube Rojo said:

can you imagine the Jocks debating to help us? - never in a million years, stuff 'em! - we don't want the hatred & sectarianism of Celtic polluting our leagues - this country's in a big enough mess as it is!

Good point re sectarianism and politics. On the face of it, two massive clubs from one of britains biggest cities would surely add to the spectacle of the football league. 

But there's so much baggage that comes with it. Football has its squabbles and occasionally tension but for the large part it's very much tribalism and exists as an end to itself. We hate Leeds because it's Leeds... not because we're Catholics and they're protestants etc etc. Who wants to go to the football to relive hundreds of years of dodgy history/violence on both sides. Not me. 

Personally I thought Rangers fans were pathetic when they played us in a pre season friendly a while back, even if some of our supporters couldn't wait to join in with loyalist songs. Politics is just not currently a big part of English domestic football (the only real example I can think of would be Nottingham/Mansfield v Barnsley etc.) and that's a good thing. 

I would accept the likes of St. Mirren and Patrick Thsitle though. :P

If the current Celtic squad was parachuted into the Championship they would be competing for promotion. They would be looking at signing proven players in January and given that they have an established group of players, would get promoted in my eyes. 

Rangers would be more interesting. They're not on the same level, but surely could finish above Bolton, Burton etc this season. Once established, they'd soon challenge. 

The main point is that if either club was taken out of its current context and put in a new one they'd experience a change in how they're perceived. Both are bigger than Villa and Newcastle and would attract investment and therefore better players almost immediately. It would take a monumental series of **** ups for them both not to get in the EPL  quickly. 

If Celtic kept their main players fully fit for a whole season? They'd be in a battle to survive in the EPL. They'd certainly be at the very top of the Championship

It'll continue to change, though. 15 years ago I'd have been confident of Celtic pushing for a top half EPL finish, in 10 years I can easily foresee them being average Championship standard. It isn't just Celtic, however; historically big clubs from smaller leagues across europe continue to see an ongoing decline in ability due to the gulf in money distribution.

You'd have to be an idiot to be the chairman of an English EPL or football league side and want them playing down south. Why would you want to harm your chances of success by bringing down two clubs (if you include Rangers) that would immediately have the opportunity to be bigger and better than 90%+ of the teams down here?

For now, at least, I don't think I could make a valid argument for more than maybe 1 current City player being good enough to make it into Celtic's current side (and even that is a push). I don't expect that to be the case for much longer.

4 minutes ago, ballwinningcentrehalf said:

If Celtic kept their main players fully fit for a whole season? They'd be in a battle to survive in the EPL. They'd certainly be at the very top of the Championship

It'll continue to change, though. 15 years ago I'd have been confident of Celtic pushing for a top half EPL finish, in 10 years I can easily foresee them being average Championship standard. It isn't just Celtic, however; historically big clubs from smaller leagues across europe continue to see an ongoing decline in ability due to the gulf in money distribution.

You'd have to be an idiot to be the chairman of an English EPL or football league side and want them playing down south. Why would you want to harm your chances of success by bringing down two clubs (if you include Rangers) that would immediately have the opportunity to be bigger and better than 90%+ of the teams down here?

For now, at least, I don't think I could make a valid argument for more than maybe 1 current City player being good enough to make it into Celtic's current side (and even that is a push). I don't expect that to be the case for much longer.

I'd probably say that they are bigger than every English team bar United, Arsenal, Liverpool. I think you could argue that Chelsea and Man City might be bigger than Rangers but they are both top 7 clubs in the UK in terms of size, followed by Newcastle, Spurs and Everton. 

4 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

I'd probably say that they are bigger than every English team bar United, Arsenal, Liverpool. I think you could argue that Chelsea and Man City might be bigger than Rangers but they are both top 7 clubs in the UK in terms of size, followed by Newcastle, Spurs and Everton. 

I’d say there isn’t much in it. Rangers have a lot of support down here, a fair few people’s second team due to their loyalist stuff. 

I’d agree that both are comfortably top 7.

23 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

Well we’ve allowed Welsh teams into the English leagues, so why not Scottish? The majority of the clubs in Scotland are part-time, similar to the majority of Welsh clubs in the Welsh leagues.

Because, I believe, most league fans don't want it. Not that the fans matter a great deal when money trumps all. 

22 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

Well either way, they aren’t English so they shouldn’t be in the English leagues personally!

The Scottish leagues are hardly full-time professional & it’s probably only going to be a matter of time before some of them start going to the wall because in reality there are probably only about 6 teams that are able to financially stand up for themselves.

If we’re allowing Welsh teams (non-English) to play in the English leagues, then why not Scottish? I’m sure there has even been discussions with regards to Barcelona possibly joining The EPL because of this independence malarkey that has been going on in Spain, why? It’s all about money.

Welsh teams dont bring all that bigoted crap in the name of "religion". The scots can keep their hate north of the border where it belongs.

There is no way I would want Celtic,Rangers or any other foreign team joining our leagues, at what ever level.

But to think of Celtic as a mid table championship club is a joke.

In 1970 they had a crowd of 136,000 (all be it at Hamden Park) for a European game against Leeds.

Unless all our BIG teams had all there plastics in attendance I cant see the big four would ever match this, even the Slags might struggle !!!!

If they were in our top flight and with a ground big enough would match Manu for sure.

1 hour ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Welsh teams dont bring all that bigoted crap in the name of "religion". The scots can keep their hate north of the border where it belongs.

You’ll have to remind me, what do Cardiff bring to the game? Apart from years of hooliganism & patting the top of their heads?

Archived