IGNORED

Imagine the chaos around AG8 if this actually happens

phantom

The Cumberland Basin Road System does work compared to the chaos that is the rest of Bristol roads. 

It is functional and in a late 20th century way there is a beauty to it and it must be said it is a fantastic piece of civil engineering

But if you are a new incoming to the City who would never venture South of the City I can see the appeal of knocking it all down and building more overpriced yuppie flats. Yes to hell with the generations of native Bristolians and air passengers and football fans trying to get to their destination, let’s turn the clock back 100 years and create a nice little West Country harbour for all those London professionals and hipsters to move into.

6 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

What happened to that plan to dam it further up to lock all the water in? Be good that, like Amsterdam but with less of the mellowness and hallucinations.

I had forgotten about that. Wasn't the floating harbour supposed to be some kind of inner city watersport oasis? That looked pretty good IIRC so there's no chance it will happen.

10 hours ago, exAtyeoMax said:

How high is it going to be? :ermm:

I do think the road system could be redesigned in some way around Spike Island/Nova Scotia but as a whole the area is quite nice. Building flats would be a dreadful idea.

We probably need this because we're fast running out of city centre space for student accommodation...

education, education, education/location, location, location etc etc...

12 hours ago, phantom said:

Marvin Rees plans to knock down Cumberland Basin and rename it ‘Western Harbour’

He wants to demolish Plimsoll Swing Bridge and build a new crossing closer to the Suspension Bridge

The “ugly road network” across the Cumberland Basin is to be knocked down and turned in to a housing development called ‘Western Harbour’, Bristol Mayor, Marvin Rees has announced.

The shock scheme was revealed during Mr Rees’ ‘State of the City Address’ on Wednesday, October 18 (you can read it in full here) which laid out the Bristol Mayor’s vision for the future of the city.

The 45-year-old set out his plan while discussing Bristol’s continuing struggle with housing stock.

While there was little detail, it appears Mr Rees has a self-confessed “ambition plan” to tear down the Brunel Way road network and Plimsoll Swing Bridge.

In its place he hopes to develop housing on the west of Spike Island and on “both sides of the Avon”. He did not elaborate on where this land might be, but it is possible homes might be built at the top end of Greville Smyth Park and on the allotments which sit under Brunel Way.

To ensure traffic can still travel between the western and northern parts of the city, the Bristol Mayor is proposing to build a new road crossing to replace the swing bridge further up river and closer to the Suspension Bridge.

He hinted the whole development may be renamed 'Western Harbour'.

Mr Rees said: “We are putting together a proposal that will tear down the old, ugly road network across the western end of the harbour, build a new bridge across the river at a lower point and develop the available land on both sides of the Avon, bringing more affordable housing to the city centre, extending the harbour as a residential area to the west.

“We may even rename the Cumberland Basin, the Western Harbour. I hope to unveil these plans soon.”

you can file this alongside the Portishead rail link and the new arena.

49 minutes ago, pillred said:

you can file this alongside the Portishead rail link and the new arena.

The difference with this which might see it happen is it sounds very property based and there would be serious money (with pretty much immediate returns) to be made. So finding outside investment would be a lot easier to find.

2 minutes ago, BCFC Richard said:

The difference with this which might see it happen is it sounds very property based and there would be serious money (with pretty much immediate returns) to be made. So finding outside investment would be a lot easier to find.

yes nothing like a quick profit to oil the wheels of industry.

Poor old Adge will turn in his grave, poignant last line!:

With one-way streets and flyovers, we know which way we'm facin'
Hast seen our brand new bridge, up there in Cumberland Basin?
The cars go by like thunder, and up and round and under,
Where they goes, nobody knows, tain't no bleedin' wonder!

Chorus: Oh, Virtute et Industrial, our city will last for ever,
If we can't build the Concorde, we'll buy'n on the Never
Virtute et Industrial, who's got ten million quid?
Virtute et Industrial, then ther thee bist then kid!

Now the best of Bristol luck to the Mayor and Corporation,

2 hours ago, East End Old Boy said:

Poor old Adge will turn in his grave, poignant last line!:

With one-way streets and flyovers, we know which way we'm facin'
Hast seen our brand new bridge, up there in Cumberland Basin?
The cars go by like thunder, and up and round and under,
Where they goes, nobody knows, tain't no bleedin' wonder!

Chorus: Oh, Virtute et Industrial, our city will last for ever,
If we can't build the Concorde, we'll buy'n on the Never
Virtute et Industrial, who's got ten million quid?
Virtute et Industrial, then ther thee bist then kid!

Now the best of Bristol luck to the Mayor and Corporation,

Bring back the flyover! :sign09:

Given the Avon Gorge is a Site of Special Scientific Interest and the Suspension Bridge is a Grade 1 Listed building I can just see the likes of English Heritage just allowing a new low level crossing closer to it/obstructing the current view without any issues whatsoever... :facepalm:

4 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

Given the Avon Gorge is a Site of Special Scientific Interest and the Suspension Bridge is a Grade 1 Listed building I can just see the likes of English Heritage just allowing a new low level crossing closer to it/obstructing the current view without any issues whatsoever... :facepalm:

Good point, maybe Marv should rethink the bridge idea and go 'underground' again with another tunnel.... failing that it looks like ''We're gonna need a bigger boat!''

5 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

Good point, maybe Marv should rethink the bridge idea and go 'underground' again with another tunnel.... failing that it looks like ''We're gonna need a bigger boat!''

There is actually a tunnel right by the Cumberland basin.. maybe he could share that with the utilities companies that use it.. 

Achievement no 103:- Just after taking office he paid the then Chief Executive Nicola Yates a £200,000 golden handshake after juts 2 years in the job, and (No 104) the local BBC news this morning revealed that he paid off the most recent Chief Executive over £60,000 in "compensation" after she RESIGNED(!) from the job...

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/shock-bristol-city-council-chief-431096

The bloke is an utter disgrace.

When I say he paid this money, of course I mean that we paid it.

Alas Marvin hasn't achieved anything in office and was backed on mass by the blind faith labourites. The same people who didn't do anything for Bristol during countless previous terms in office, Bristol's Tories are just as bad. Bristol suffered for years with petty Ya Boo politics and as such, is years behind other similar cities with more enlightened voters. 

George on the other hand did stuff and whether you like him or you don't. It would be difficult even for the most ardent fall earth deniers that he did loads in one spell in office. 

Bristol voting to get rid of George was as absurd as the British voting to leave Europe, and the Americans voting for Trump. 

To be fair there is obvious merit to making the Portway-Cumberland Basin-A370 all one road (Ring)road. at the moment the basin is designed to route you through the centre which is clearly not the way they want people to travel through the city. I don't really get the logic of building a bridge further up the river though. 

I am amazed that a city where they decided to culvert the river through the centre left the man made cut open... thats the real opportunity to improve the road system. :whistle:

1 hour ago, New Dazzler said:

Achievement no 103:- Just after taking office he paid the then Chief Executive Nicola Yates a £200,000 golden handshake after juts 2 years in the job, and (No 104) the local BBC news this morning revealed that he paid off the most recent Chief Executive over £60,000 in "compensation" after she RESIGNED(!) from the job...

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/shock-bristol-city-council-chief-431096

The bloke is an utter disgrace.

When I say he paid this money, of course I mean that we paid it.

Stuff like this really boils my piss. He can’t make a speech without blaming everything on “cuts” yet we’re throwing good money after bad with this sort of nonsense. Properly ridiculous. 

1 minute ago, CyderInACan said:

****ing right - as Chief Executive!!!!

To be honest, I was hoping you would stand as mayor, appoint me as chief executive and then after a few months we mutually agree I haven't got a clue what I'm doing and then you give me a huge cheque to go away.

Seems to be the way it works.

Archived