IGNORED

Racist comment

Never give up

7 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

People are wary of new posters- especially if their first posts are accusing the club or the fans of something.

Lets face it- many a time a post has been made on here by a new poster with a whiff of gas about it and with the headlines they have received lately would you put it past them to try and deflect some of it on to us? They have previous.

For what it's worth- if a racist comment was made then it is correct it was reported and the guilty party should not be allowed back. i certainly would not let it go unmentioned if i heard anything of the like.

Yep.IF it happened it's disgusting and theres no place for it. But it's hard not to wonder when it's somebody thats just made a fresh new account. Makes you wonder is all.

Some truly bizarre comments on this thread...

Surely we should all be condemning whatever was said?

If the OP is making it up then so be it, it makes him a sad little man, but why run the risk that he isn’t making it up and make yourself look like a narrow minded moron?

Just agree that whatever was said has no place in society and move on, it’s remarkable people are arguing!

On 23/10/2017 at 12:07, DaveF said:

Some truly bizarre comments on this thread...

Surely we should all be condemning whatever was said?

If the OP is making it up then so be it, it makes him a sad little man, but why run the risk that he isn’t making it up and make yourself look like a narrow minded moron?

Just agree that whatever was said has no place in society and move on, it’s remarkable people are arguing!

Well said. I can’t believe the response. 

I’ve been coming to City for 5 years and always have a great time and think the support is quality. 

The club have the rough area from where the comment came and if it happens again hopefully the idiot will be banned. 

As I said before I’m simply trying to make people aware so it doesn’t happen and gain. 

If I hear anything like it again I’ll be sure I ask an experienced member of this group to post it as that seems the only way to be sure that things are taken seriously. 

On 21/10/2017 at 23:03, Red-Robbo said:

It makes us question the veracity of this poster, who along with a couple of other newbies has joined recently and posted things portraying BCFC in a bad light.

IF it happened it's unacceptable and the club has policies to ban such supporters.

In all honesty. the last time I ever heard anyone make a racist comment at AG was about 10 years back. And almost an entire row of people told the bloke to shut the **** up. Such is the way of the game today. we've come a long way from the 70s when bananas on the pitch and monkey calls met every black player at every club in Britain.

I can remember Rob Edwards getting abuse about being ginger!!!!Is this racist  or gingist? Got to say I didn’t call him a ginger ‘..........’ and I do quite like ginger women .

On 10/22/2017 at 09:24, Never give up said:

So someone calling a player a black bastard when taking a throw in is getting my knickers in a twist? 

**** off you sad, narrow minded little man. 

i didn't think using the term black was racist anymore I thought it was the N word again,

I get very confused with what you can and can't say these days as it seems to change weekly,

The fact no one else heard it, no complaint has been made ether to the police or the ground and no one has been banned makes think think you are ether shit stirring or mis-heard

11 hours ago, The goal is that way said:

I can remember Rob Edwards getting abuse about being ginger!!!!Is this racist  or gingist? Got to say I didn’t call him a ginger ‘..........’ and I do quite like ginger women .

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Once you've had ginge, you'll never whinge.

:yes:

13 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

i didn't think using the term black was racist anymore I thought it was the N word again,

I get very confused with what you can and can't say these days as it seems to change weekly,

The fact no one else heard it, no complaint has been made ether to the police or the ground and no one has been banned makes think think you are ether shit stirring or mis-heard

You don't see how the term 'black bastard' is racist? 

39 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Others might have heard the abuse but are not posters on OTIB.  Equally we don't know whether a complaint was made or whether anyone was banned.

I live in hope that we have left all forms of racism in the past.  My experience of abusive crowds in the 80s was pretty awful and thank goodness we have taken a huge problem down to the pathetic behaviour of individuals.  But there is still a long way to go and the OP is right to raise this on a discussion forum for football chat.  Ignoring the problem, even if it's one person in 24,000, will not make it go away.

Just now, Xiled said:

Others might have heard the abuse but are not posters on OTIB.  Equally we don't know whether a complaint was made or whether anyone was banned.

I live in hope that we have left all forms of racism in the past.  My experience of abusive crowds in the 80s was pretty awful and thank goodness we have taken a huge problem down to the pathetic behaviour of individuals.  But there is still a long way to go and the OP is right to raise this on a discussion forum for football chat.  Ignoring the problem, even if it's one person in 24,000, will not make it go away.

but is there a problem?

That's the issue, one person signed up to the forum to say he heard abuse, there is no evidence to back it up, ether in the media or others here posting, these type of things normally come with some form of media circus especially with the clowns at the post,

The fact the op got the stand names wrong as well doesn't help and makes people even more skeptical about the whole thing,

Ignoring it is bad yes I fully agree, but lokking for a problem where one may not exist is also just as bad this is called a witch hunt

Quite an impressive feat of mental gymnastics above. Can you really not even attempt to engage with the fact some racist abuse came from our crowd? Sure have reservations if you wish, but you're literally listing every other eventuality apart from the claimed narrative.

You seem to be saying ignoring it is bad on one hand, yet making every attempt to do so on the other

23 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

but is there a problem?

That's the issue, one person signed up to the forum to say he heard abuse, there is no evidence to back it up, ether in the media or others here posting, these type of things normally come with some form of media circus especially with the clowns at the post,

The fact the op got the stand names wrong as well doesn't help and makes people even more skeptical about the whole thing,

Ignoring it is bad yes I fully agree, but lokking for a problem where one may not exist is also just as bad this is called a witch hunt

Witch hunt?  No, I don't see that.  I just read one person's observation (in the original post) and it made me think back to the bad old days.

Attempting to discredit someone because they don't have a long history of posting on OTIB isn't fair.  Nobody should be shouted down because they have a low post count.  By making the original comment, it's quite possible that other people will corroborate the story.  That might still happen.

My old man said that he heard racist booing at the Palace match.  I actually think it was just general booing (maybe an off the ball incident that I missed) but who knows?  We all see and hear different things in a big crowd like Saturday/Tuesday.

Like the quarter final ticketing issue, this shouldn't be a situation that divides us.  Racism is unfortunately still a fact of modern life but it doesn't have to be.  I hope we can all agree on that.

1 hour ago, underhanded said:

Quite an impressive feat of mental gymnastics above. Can you really not even attempt to engage with the fact some racist abuse came from our crowd? Sure have reservations if you wish, but you're literally listing every other eventuality apart from the claimed narrative.

You seem to be saying ignoring it is bad on one hand, yet making every attempt to do so on the other

I'm simply asking for some proof before I condemn something or someone as raciest  you know like how the court system works in this country,

I'm not denying that racism isn't an issue or we have racist fans, I'm asking for proof rather than one anonymous user creating an account then claiming it,

I could go and do the very same thing in 5 minutes with a vpn to mask my identity 

I find racism, sexism and any other means of denigrating others, as extremely disgusting.

We live in a multi racial, multi ethnic, multi religion society and each of us deserves to be respected as we would wish for ourselves. 

Things have improved  but there are still enough dinosaurs around that means we cannot be complacent.

3 hours ago, Monkeh said:

I'm simply asking for some proof before I condemn something or someone as raciest  you know like how the court system works in this country,

I'm not denying that racism isn't an issue or we have racist fans, I'm asking for proof rather than one anonymous user creating an account then claiming it,

I could go and do the very same thing in 5 minutes with a vpn to mask my identity 

He was asking other fans to come forward with information, the opposite of what you're accusing him of. Picking apart the statement "Black Bastard" and reaching the conclusion the Black part isn't racist, demonstrates you should probably stay away from these discussions. That's the best you can really do.  

6 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Brave man @Monkeh. I was thinking something similar and started to type but then stopped.

I came to the conclusion that simply by including the colour of the player’s skin gave the abuse a racist edge.

Would he or she who is alleged to have used it said “white bastard” if the player was white? I’d say not.

Referring to “sheep shaggers” or Colin manual manipulator next Saturday. Or “Welsh bastards/cheats/counts or anything else.

Where does the abuse - racist or otherwise - stop? And who has the right to be offended?

i’ve no idea.

Unfortunately, I heard somebody call Fosu-Mensah some rather distasteful, right after the strong challenge he put in on Bryan, right in front of us in S28. No idea exactly who it was but clearly someone stood close to me.

Sadly every club gets this type of fan, it's unacceptable.

On 21/10/2017 at 23:03, Red-Robbo said:

IF it happened it's unacceptable and the club has policies to ban such supporters.

In all honesty. the last time I ever heard anyone make a racist comment at AG was about 10 years back. And almost an entire row of people told the bloke to shut the **** up. Such is the way of the game today. we've come a long way from the 70s when bananas on the pitch and monkey calls met every black player at every club in Britain.

You just don't hear racist abuse any longer thankfully.

The last time I heard it was from a guy behind me in the Dolman aimed at our own player Wayne Allison who was having a poor game. It was when City had a corner and the Chief was surrounded by about three or four defenders.

I won't repeat what he said but I still remember it and his mates all laughing.

9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The last time I heard it was from a guy behind me in the Dolman aimed at our own player Wayne Allison who was having a poor game. It was when City had a corner and the Chief was surrounded by about three or four defenders.

I’ve definitely heard it down there since Wayne Allison left.

To say you just don’t hear it anymore is incorrect, you may not of heard it but there are still ‘big men’ who think it’s big, clever, funny & acceptable, it’s not!!

21 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Wayne Allison was also the last player I heard racist abuse shouted about in Ashton Gate.

Probably mid 90s when it was a much more common occurrence. Hearing someone sat behind you shout "for ****s sake, don't pass it to that N*****" would undoubtedly get a different reaction these days.

Not saying it doesn't happen now, just I haven't heard any.

1 minute ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Wayne Allison was also the last player I heard racist abuse shouted about in Ashton Gate.

Probably mid 90s when it was a much more common occurrence. Hearing someone sat behind you shout "for ****s sake, don't pass it to that N*****" would undoubtedly get a different reaction these days.

I am not disputing what you have quoted, but please tell me that, even back in the mid1990s, you didn't actually hear that, but are using it as example of what would be 'frowned upon' today.

18 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

I’ve definitely heard it down there since Wayne Allison left.

To say you just don’t hear it anymore is incorrect, you may not of heard it but there are still ‘big men’ who think it’s big, clever, funny & acceptable, it’s not!!

I was at Mk Dons during our promotion season. Jet was discribed as a ‘ lazy Wog ‘ by a city fan sat behind me.

6 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

It wasn't Wing Commander Guy Gibson shouting it, was it?

8 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I am not disputing what you have quoted, but please tell me that, even back in the mid1990s, you didn't actually hear that, but are using it as example of what would be 'frowned upon' today.

Not that it makes much difference but it must've been around 93ish...but yes, I did hear it. Pretty sure it's the only time I've heard the N word at AG however around the same time I also remember racist chanting away to Leicester and on CATs on the way to Stoke. 

Unthinkable nowadays.

Archived