IGNORED

Racist comment

Never give up

5 minutes ago, Rednwhiterob said:

You are going to get isolated incidents wherever you go.  It's not acceptable, but its just a fact.  We, however, are not in the slightest respect racist as a club or compared to anyone else.

Spot on.

Look at the Gas and the lengths Hamer has had to go to remind the fans that racist abuse is unacceptable....in 2017 :blink:

23 minutes ago, Bobby Bollax said:

I sometimes here Marlon Pack being called ‘ Packie ‘.  Should this be accepted as a nickname or racism? 

Not quiiiite the same is it? Calling someone a derogatory term because of their race and adding a ‘y’ onto the end of someone’s surname like we do with lots of players... 

8 hours ago, Monkeh said:

i didn't think using the term black was racist anymore I thought it was the N word again,

I get very confused with what you can and can't say these days as it seems to change weekly,

The fact no one else heard it, no complaint has been made ether to the police or the ground and no one has been banned makes think think you are ether shit stirring or mis-heard

Sorry Monkeh I didn’t realise you had access to Police and security records at Ashton Gate. 

Oh dear, oh dear. 

8 minutes ago, Never give up said:

Sorry Monkeh I didn’t realise you had access to Police and security records at Ashton Gate. 

Oh dear, oh dear. 

Do you?

if there was a report we would know about it by now as the club normally issues an appeal to supporters like with the pryos and other such incidents that has happened over the years

33 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Not that it makes much difference but it must've been around 93ish...but yes, I did hear it. Pretty sure it's the only time I've heard the N word at AG however around the same time I also remember racist chanting away to Leicester and on CATs on the way to Stoke. 

Unthinkable nowadays.

Luckily, and what must be acknowledged as progress.

7 hours ago, Monkeh said:

but is there a problem?

That's the issue, one person signed up to the forum to say he heard abuse, there is no evidence to back it up, ether in the media or others here posting, these type of things normally come with some form of media circus especially with the clowns at the post,

The fact the op got the stand names wrong as well doesn't help and makes people even more skeptical about the whole thing,

Ignoring it is bad yes I fully agree, but lokking for a problem where one may not exist is also just as bad this is called a witch hunt

Oh Monkeh...

I shouldn’t let you draw me into this but if you check my profile you’ll see I joined August 2015. Stopped posting as much due to people like you and your lack of understanding. The reason I called it the Williams is that was it was when I stated going 5 years. Sorry about that. Let’s hope I never got called to court. 

“Did you hear a racist comment?”

”yes your honour.”

”what stand were you in?”

“The Williams”

”Don’t you mean the The Landsdown?” We can no longer take this trial seriously!”

3 minutes ago, Never give up said:

Oh Monkeh...

I shouldn’t let you draw me into this but if you check my profile you’ll see I joined August 2015. Stopped posting as much due to people like you and your lack of understanding. The reason I called it the Williams is that was it was when I stated going 5 years. Sorry about that. Let’s hope I never got called to court. 

“Did you hear a racist comment?”

”yes your honour.”

”what stand were you in?”

“The Williams”

”Don’t you mean the The Landsdown?” We can no longer take this trial seriously!”

"Were there any witnessess?"

"no your honour"

case dismissed not enough evidence 

Also Monkeh what evidence was I suppose to get? 

Excuse me lads. Would the person who just shouted that racist comment mind saying it again so I can post proof of it on the Bristol City forum. 

You are ridiculous! 

Let’s all just say that there was a racist comment aimed at a black player and those around me heard it, discussed it, I then reported it, and we should be aware in case it happens again. If not fantastic. It means it was an extremely isolated incident and we’re not going back to the dark days. 

Decided not to post this originally but I am reasonably sure I heard someone direct a racist comment at a player - Sol Bamba, I think - in the Cardiff game back in January. I was in the south stand at the time.

I didn’t report it as it was not at all clear who said it beyond that it was someone three or four rows behind me and I told myself I couldn’t be certain exactly what I heard (although in reality I am).

Of course things have got better since the bad old days - I remember as recently as 1999 going to Oxford and our fans saying far worse - but we should not kid ourselves, that in amongst the 22,000 or so that go to games, there are some bad apples there.

It is utterly farcical to suggest a lack of evidence suggests a lack of offence - unless someone sits with their phone on record the whole time, what evidence would there be? - and it is sad that some supporters want to bury their heads in the sand and assume that nobody who supports the same club as them can ever possibly be racist. I suspect that, as a club in a diverse multi cultural city, we do a bit better than some clubs but we have our idiots just like everyone else does.

The irony is that football clubs, as employers,  are probably amongst the most inclusive when it comes to employing players of differing ethnic backgrounds. I work for a law firm, where probably 90% of employees are white. Where is the "Kick Racism Out" campaign in law firms?

With regards to fans, when you have a sample size of 25k, you're almost guaranteed to have a certain % that hold racist views. Same as if you sampled a similar size crowd at any other event. The difference being that at a football match a racist is far more likely to shout a racist comment in the heat of the moment and/or drunk.

Thankfully, it would appear that racism is on the decline, IMO.

I wholeheartedly agree that anyone stupid enough to shout racist abuse should be dealt with appropriately, but what gets on my nerves is the media, FA and certain players/ex-players serving their own agendas with constant references to racism in football. In terms of employment football clubs should be held up as an example of what other businesses should aspire to.

Archived