Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Never give up

Racist comment

Did anyone else hear anyone making racist comments today?

Late on in the second half some yob, a few rows behind me, shouted a racist comment when their right left back took a throw in. 

I couldn’t tell who said it and thankfully didn’t hear anymore, but disgusting to hear such language from  some excuse for a human being. 

• Snake 1

10 minutes ago, Tammys Scan said:

6 posts

Sorry, I’m confused, what does his post count have to do with someone making a racist comment?

When you joined the forum did you automatically start from post 2000?

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, Never give up said:

Late on in the second half some yob, a few rows behind me, shouted a racist comment when their right left back took a throw in. 

I couldn’t tell who said it and thankfully didn’t hear anymore, but disgusting to hear such language from  some excuse for a human being. 

No

No I didnt, gave some horrific abuse out but nothing racist.

17 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Sorry, I’m confused, what does his post count have to do with someone making a racist comment?

When you joined the forum did you automatically start from post 2000?

It makes us question the veracity of this poster, who along with a couple of other newbies has joined recently and posted things portraying BCFC in a bad light.

IF it happened it's unacceptable and the club has policies to ban such supporters.

In all honesty. the last time I ever heard anyone make a racist comment at AG was about 10 years back. And almost an entire row of people told the bloke to shut the **** up. Such is the way of the game today. we've come a long way from the 70s when bananas on the pitch and monkey calls met every black player at every club in Britain.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Never give up said:

Their right left back?

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

It makes us question the veracity of this poster, who along with a couple of other newbies has joined recently and posted things portraying BCFC in a bad light.

IF it happened it's unacceptable and the club has policies to ban such supporters.

In all honesty. the last time I ever heard anyone make a racist comment at AG was about 10 years back. And almost an entire row of people told the bloke to shut the **** up. Such is the way of the game today. we've come a long way from the 70s when bananas on the pitch and monkey calls met every black player at every club in Britain.

This makes me sad, frustrated and annoyed that you question the facts of my comment and also the fact that I’m new to posting shouldn’t even come into it, if I’ve something to report  

I’m glad that 10 years ago people told the racist to shut the **** up but not today. The comment was made quickly by some brainless **** and it was then too difficult to know who said it. 

Comment reported to steward but what can be done when no clue who said it.  

Believe me, I have no agenda to make the club look bad but want to make people aware that unfortunately we are sharing the ground with a racist thug. 

Ive been coming to AG for 5 years and have never heard racist language before and hope this is the last of it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Never give up said:

Think you need to be slightly more specific mate. what do you class as racist nower days . Statements like . Oh you Bedminster bastard or you Clifton**** . I mean everyone gets offended these day , you need to be more specific surely. 24,  000 plus people in a football environment. Either have a piss or get off the pot  

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, BristolCity1992 said:

Was this sort of Row 28 area? If so I thought I heard something but couldn't be completely sure so didn't say anything. Well done in reporting though no room for that sort of shit. 

So you thought you heard something and  on that basis you put in a slight complaint . :grr:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Never give up said:

This makes me sad, frustrated and annoyed that you question the facts of my comment and also the fact that I’m new to posting shouldn’t even come into it, if I’ve something to report  

I’m glad that 10 years ago people told the racist to shut the **** up but not today. The comment was made quickly by some brainless **** and it was then too difficult to know who said it. 

Believe me, I have no agenda to make the club look bad but want to make people aware that unfortunately we are sharing the ground with a racist thug. 

Ive been coming to AG for 5 years and have never heard racist language before and hope this is the last of it. 

It has really upset me that we are sharing our ground with a racist thug. 24,000 plus there today and one of them was racist. Gee whiz that would equate to 2000 people voting for fascist parties in an electorate of 48 million. We are sharing our country with fascists. Let us burn everything to the ground.

The main thing is, as Red-Robbo has illustrated, back in the 70s and 80s a few thousand would've joined in with the racist barracking. But now, if it did occur at all, it was isolated and 24,000 plus others would never have contemplated joining, if they'd heard it, except in condemnation.

Personally, I haven't heard a racist comment at AG for donkey's years and if I did I wouldn't be worried that I was sharing the ground with one racist. I would feel more concerned for the lone racist chanter as he would be sharing the ground with 24,000 people diametrically opposed to his way of thinking.

Take a bow supporters of Bristol City. 

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

So you thought you heard something and  on that basis you put in a slight complaint . :grr:

No I couldn't be sure what I heard so I didn't say anything. I looked behind and nothing else was said. Pretty obvious what I meant. Are you okay there? Not sure why you're getting angry.  If he knows what he heard then it's right to report it.... 

Edited by BristolCity1992

49 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

It has really upset me that we are sharing our ground with a racist thug. 24,000 plus there today and one of them was racist. Gee whiz that would equate to 2000 people voting for fascist parties in an electorate of 48 million. We are sharing our country with fascists. Let us burn everything to the ground.

The main thing is, as Red-Robbo has illustrated, back in the 70s and 80s a few thousand would've joined in with the racist barracking. But now, if it did occur at all, it was isolated and 24,000 plus others would never have contemplated joining, if they'd heard it, except in condemnation.

Personally, I haven't heard a racist comment at AG for donkey's years and if I did I wouldn't be worried that I was sharing the ground with one racist. I would feel more concerned for the lone racist chanter as he would be sharing the ground with 24,000 people diametrically opposed to his way of thinking.

Take a bow supporters of Bristol City. 

I don't think anyone is attacking City fans as a collective, but rather the person who did it. Racism is pretty damaging and one person hearing that comment can have quite a negative impact. There were a lot of children in the area. If that person did say something racist as the op says then how do you think that might affect those children? Especially if the child is of that ethnicity? 

You say that 24,000 people would be opposed to it, I would agree, but it's the poster who seemingly gets attacked on here. Weird. 

Thinking about it maybe the thread didn't need to be made. Obviously though it's upset the op and this was his outlet. 

Edited by BristolCity1992
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, Never give up said:

So you haven't had a opinion on how crap or good we have been in the last couple of seasons but a bit of racism from 1 bloke and your all over it like a rash

• Like 4

8 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

So you haven't had a opinion on how crap or good we have been in the last couple of seasons but a bit of racism from 1 bloke and your all over it like a rash

Maybe he/she discusses their opinions on the match with their friends and family members but feels hearing something racist is something they want some reassurance/confirmation on. Like someone says above, I am a bit confused why people are attacking someone for hearing racism and reporting it. 

I think what I find odd is how many people seem to feel it an attack on the club or even on themselves personally. The fact that some guy was being a racist idiot is not a reflection on City fans or the club but on the fact that some people are still racist idiots and should be called out as such m.

Credit to the anyone who reports it when it happens, including the OP.

Edited by LondonBristolian
  • Like 9

9 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Just shows how racist our club is....one comment in a crowd of 24k plus and we didn't hear it, typical Teds cocking a "deaf-un" !   :grr:

Someone in the crowd 

Not a racist .

:yes:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BristolCity1992 said:

I don't think anyone is attacking City fans as a collective, but rather the person who did it. Racism is pretty damaging and one person hearing that comment can have quite a negative impact. There were a lot of children in the area. If that person did say something racist as the op says then how do you think that might affect those children? Especially if the child is of that ethnicity? 

You say that 24,000 people would be opposed to it, I would agree, but it's the poster who seemingly gets attacked on here. Weird. 

Thinking about it maybe the thread didn't need to be made. Obviously though it's upset the op and this was his outlet. 

Well said. Exactly why I made the point. 

8 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

This sums it up for me. Racism is racism. It’s not a ‘bit of racism’ or something slightly racist this was a personal attack on a player doing his job and some tool thinks it acceptable to abuse him because of the colour of his skin. 

All those who are trying to play it down as a minority or not as major as it was in the 70s have surprised me. This attitude is why it’s still happening in football from top levels down. 

Agree with other comment about children and people hearing but who ever hears it it is illegal and WRONG. 

The reason I’m putting it on is simply to highlight what I’ve heard and so we are all aware and can stamp out any further racist comments. I’m sure most of you are aware that across Europe and USA racist and facist issue are on the rise. Take Man United in the week. Or did the fans mis hear that or do we excuse it as it was only a few and a little bit racism. 

I don’t need to justify why and when I comment and here and I’m not only going to discuss highly important things as Fielding’s terrible goal kicks; Flint out of position after the goal kick tactics; Reid’s drop in form; Taylor questionable at this level; or Smith’s lack of creativity. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Never give up said:

This sums it up for me. Racism is racism. It’s not a ‘bit of racism’ or something slightly racist this was a personal attack on a player doing his job and some tool thinks it acceptable to abuse him because of the colour of his skin. 

All those who are trying to play it down as a minority or not as major as it was in the 70s have surprised me. This attitude is why it’s still happening in football from top levels down. 

Agree with other comment about children and people hearing but who ever hears it it is illegal and WRONG. 

The reason I’m putting it on is simply to highlight what I’ve heard and so we are all aware and can stamp out any further racist comments. I’m sure most of you are aware that across Europe and USA racist and facist issue are on the rise. Take Man United in the week. Or did the fans mis hear that or do we excuse it as it was only a few and a little bit racism. 

I don’t need to justify why and when I comment and here and I’m not only going to discuss highly important things as Fielding’s terrible goal kicks; Flint out of position after the goal kick tactics; Reid’s drop in form; Taylor questionable at this level; or Smith’s lack of creativity. 

Is your name Tristan and do you work for the Bristol post? 

Thank christ there was no rucking in the park yesterday, you would have had your knickers in even more of a twist then wouldn't you x

Edited by CityBS15
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, CityBS15 said:

Is your name Tristan and do you work for the Bristol post? 

Thank christ there was no rucking in the park yesterday, you would have had your knickers in even more of a twist then wouldn't you x

So someone calling a player a black bastard when taking a throw in is getting my knickers in a twist? 

**** off you sad, narrow minded little man. 

Is everyone on here okay? OP points out some abysmal crowd behavior, and is getting all sorts of questions, suspicions and criticisms?

I am a new poster, let me assure you, we're not some Gestapo type secret service agents sent by the SAGs to sully City's name - yet simply people who find this kind of stuff disgusting, and well worth calling out. 

Bad behaviour is bad behaviour - lets all act like the adults we are and recognise it as such

• Like 7

54 minutes ago, underhanded said:

Is everyone on here okay? OP points out some abysmal crowd behavior, and is getting all sorts of questions, suspicions and criticisms?

I am a new poster, let me assure you, we're not some Gestapo type secret service agents sent by the SAGs to sully City's name - yet simply people who find this kind of stuff disgusting, and well worth calling out. 

Bad behaviour is bad behaviour - lets all act like the adults we are and recognise it as such

People are wary of new posters- especially if their first posts are accusing the club or the fans of something.

Lets face it- many a time a post has been made on here by a new poster with a whiff of gas about it and with the headlines they have received lately would you put it past them to try and deflect some of it on to us? They have previous.

For what it's worth- if a racist comment was made then it is correct it was reported and the guilty party should not be allowed back. i certainly would not let it go unmentioned if i heard anything of the like.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

People are wary of new posters- especially if their first posts are accusing the club or the fans of something.

Lets face it- many a time a post has been made on here by a new poster with a whiff of gas about it and with the headlines they have received lately would you put it past them to try and deflect some of it on to us? They have previous.

For what it's worth- if a racist comment was made then it is correct it was reported and the guilty party should not be allowed back. i certainly would not let it go unmentioned if i heard anything of the like.

Yep.IF it happened it's disgusting and theres no place for it. But it's hard not to wonder when it's somebody thats just made a fresh new account. Makes you wonder is all.

• Like 3

Some truly bizarre comments on this thread...

Surely we should all be condemning whatever was said?

If the OP is making it up then so be it, it makes him a sad little man, but why run the risk that he isn’t making it up and make yourself look like a narrow minded moron?

Just agree that whatever was said has no place in society and move on, it’s remarkable people are arguing!

• Like 5

On 23/10/2017 at 12:07, DaveF said:

Some truly bizarre comments on this thread...

Surely we should all be condemning whatever was said?

If the OP is making it up then so be it, it makes him a sad little man, but why run the risk that he isn’t making it up and make yourself look like a narrow minded moron?

Just agree that whatever was said has no place in society and move on, it’s remarkable people are arguing!

Well said. I can’t believe the response. 

I’ve been coming to City for 5 years and always have a great time and think the support is quality. 

The club have the rough area from where the comment came and if it happens again hopefully the idiot will be banned. 

As I said before I’m simply trying to make people aware so it doesn’t happen and gain. 

If I hear anything like it again I’ll be sure I ask an experienced member of this group to post it as that seems the only way to be sure that things are taken seriously. 

• Like 2

On 21/10/2017 at 23:03, Red-Robbo said:

I can remember Rob Edwards getting abuse about being ginger!!!!Is this racist  or gingist? Got to say I didn’t call him a ginger ‘..........’ and I do quite like ginger women .

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 21 October 2017 at 22:34, Never give up said:

South Stand, corner near Williams side. 

Don't you mean the landsdown stand ? 

Willams have not been here for about three seasons

On 10/22/2017 at 09:24, Never give up said:

So someone calling a player a black bastard when taking a throw in is getting my knickers in a twist? 

i didn't think using the term black was racist anymore I thought it was the N word again,

I get very confused with what you can and can't say these days as it seems to change weekly,

The fact no one else heard it, no complaint has been made ether to the police or the ground and no one has been banned makes think think you are ether shit stirring or mis-heard

11 hours ago, The goal is that way said:

I can remember Rob Edwards getting abuse about being ginger!!!!Is this racist  or gingist? Got to say I didn’t call him a ginger ‘..........’ and I do quite like ginger women .

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Once you've had ginge, you'll never whinge.

:yes:

13 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

i didn't think using the term black was racist anymore I thought it was the N word again,

I get very confused with what you can and can't say these days as it seems to change weekly,

The fact no one else heard it, no complaint has been made ether to the police or the ground and no one has been banned makes think think you are ether shit stirring or mis-heard

You don't see how the term 'black bastard' is racist? 

32 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

You don't see how the term 'black bastard' is racist? 

i said the term black, I never mention black bastard,

anything can be twisted and construed as offense these days is the point I'm trying to make

39 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Others might have heard the abuse but are not posters on OTIB.  Equally we don't know whether a complaint was made or whether anyone was banned.

I live in hope that we have left all forms of racism in the past.  My experience of abusive crowds in the 80s was pretty awful and thank goodness we have taken a huge problem down to the pathetic behaviour of individuals.  But there is still a long way to go and the OP is right to raise this on a discussion forum for football chat.  Ignoring the problem, even if it's one person in 24,000, will not make it go away.

• Like 2

Just now, Xiled said:

Others might have heard the abuse but are not posters on OTIB.  Equally we don't know whether a complaint was made or whether anyone was banned.

I live in hope that we have left all forms of racism in the past.  My experience of abusive crowds in the 80s was pretty awful and thank goodness we have taken a huge problem down to the pathetic behaviour of individuals.  But there is still a long way to go and the OP is right to raise this on a discussion forum for football chat.  Ignoring the problem, even if it's one person in 24,000, will not make it go away.

but is there a problem?

That's the issue, one person signed up to the forum to say he heard abuse, there is no evidence to back it up, ether in the media or others here posting, these type of things normally come with some form of media circus especially with the clowns at the post,

The fact the op got the stand names wrong as well doesn't help and makes people even more skeptical about the whole thing,

Ignoring it is bad yes I fully agree, but lokking for a problem where one may not exist is also just as bad this is called a witch hunt

• Like 1

Quite an impressive feat of mental gymnastics above. Can you really not even attempt to engage with the fact some racist abuse came from our crowd? Sure have reservations if you wish, but you're literally listing every other eventuality apart from the claimed narrative.

You seem to be saying ignoring it is bad on one hand, yet making every attempt to do so on the other

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

but is there a problem?

That's the issue, one person signed up to the forum to say he heard abuse, there is no evidence to back it up, ether in the media or others here posting, these type of things normally come with some form of media circus especially with the clowns at the post,

The fact the op got the stand names wrong as well doesn't help and makes people even more skeptical about the whole thing,

Ignoring it is bad yes I fully agree, but lokking for a problem where one may not exist is also just as bad this is called a witch hunt

Witch hunt?  No, I don't see that.  I just read one person's observation (in the original post) and it made me think back to the bad old days.

Attempting to discredit someone because they don't have a long history of posting on OTIB isn't fair.  Nobody should be shouted down because they have a low post count.  By making the original comment, it's quite possible that other people will corroborate the story.  That might still happen.

My old man said that he heard racist booing at the Palace match.  I actually think it was just general booing (maybe an off the ball incident that I missed) but who knows?  We all see and hear different things in a big crowd like Saturday/Tuesday.

Like the quarter final ticketing issue, this shouldn't be a situation that divides us.  Racism is unfortunately still a fact of modern life but it doesn't have to be.  I hope we can all agree on that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, underhanded said:

Quite an impressive feat of mental gymnastics above. Can you really not even attempt to engage with the fact some racist abuse came from our crowd? Sure have reservations if you wish, but you're literally listing every other eventuality apart from the claimed narrative.

You seem to be saying ignoring it is bad on one hand, yet making every attempt to do so on the other

I'm simply asking for some proof before I condemn something or someone as raciest  you know like how the court system works in this country,

I'm not denying that racism isn't an issue or we have racist fans, I'm asking for proof rather than one anonymous user creating an account then claiming it,

I could go and do the very same thing in 5 minutes with a vpn to mask my identity 

On 22/10/2017 at 09:24, Never give up said:

Why are you insulting a tearful slim headed dwarf?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I find racism, sexism and any other means of denigrating others, as extremely disgusting.

We live in a multi racial, multi ethnic, multi religion society and each of us deserves to be respected as we would wish for ourselves. 

Things have improved  but there are still enough dinosaurs around that means we cannot be complacent.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Monkeh said:

I'm simply asking for some proof before I condemn something or someone as raciest  you know like how the court system works in this country,

I'm not denying that racism isn't an issue or we have racist fans, I'm asking for proof rather than one anonymous user creating an account then claiming it,

I could go and do the very same thing in 5 minutes with a vpn to mask my identity 

He was asking other fans to come forward with information, the opposite of what you're accusing him of. Picking apart the statement "Black Bastard" and reaching the conclusion the Black part isn't racist, demonstrates you should probably stay away from these discussions. That's the best you can really do.  

Edited by Odysseus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Brave man @Monkeh. I was thinking something similar and started to type but then stopped.

I came to the conclusion that simply by including the colour of the player’s skin gave the abuse a racist edge.

Would he or she who is alleged to have used it said “white bastard” if the player was white? I’d say not.

Referring to “sheep shaggers” or Colin manual manipulator next Saturday. Or “Welsh bastards/cheats/counts or anything else.

Where does the abuse - racist or otherwise - stop? And who has the right to be offended?

i’ve no idea.

• Thanks 1

How many black players do we have?

If there is a numpty out there shouting race garbage to get under an opponent's skin, please pack it up and pick something else. However one bloke in 24k is hardly an epidemic!

Unfortunately, I heard somebody call Fosu-Mensah some rather distasteful, right after the strong challenge he put in on Bryan, right in front of us in S28. No idea exactly who it was but clearly someone stood close to me.

Sadly every club gets this type of fan, it's unacceptable.